SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 6, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #14,237 of 15,277
This IEM has given me a bit of an existential crisis, in combination with the TAZ that is.
I thought I was done with the Utopia + Feliks Euforia (with a tube rolling saga involving quite some time, money, effort and research) + Schiit Yggy and a dedicated Lynx soundcard.
These Sony devices here are almost as good as all of the above, if not more enjoyable in some ways.
The TAZ makes 3 separate units superfluous in one fell swoop - the synergy is off the chain.
I'm not doing any in-depth critical comparison type listening by the way - this is just me casually swapping back and forth listening to different music.

I've been using the IER-Z1R daily now with the 2.5m Forza cable (which is amazing by the way and I would highly recommend as far as longer cables go), and I'm really struggling to want to go back to the Utopia due to a couple of things:
- The tube amp needs 10 minutes minimum to warm up and has to be switched on from the back - the TAZ has a remote. (see also: lazy)
- The IER just sit on my desk, so I can grab them quickly while the Utopia are on a proper stand that I have to slightly move over to grab. (see also: lazy)
- I'm working out every morning, so when I come into the house to check some mails I can quickly plug those into my ears without worring about making my overears dirty in some way for 5 minutes before showering - I have to *think* less about using the headphones, with the tube amp and Utopia it's almost more of a process.
- IEMs provide INCREDIBLE isolation. I wish someone had recommended IEMs to me when I was looking for a sort of "dedicated" gaming headphone that would isolate well - these fit the bill EXACTLY. I'm playing Baldur's Gate 3 at the moment, and the experience is absolutely breathtaking.
This is also one of the reasons I'm enjoying listening to music so much more - everything else is just drowned out (traffic, cat, fans, other half).
The Utopia sometimes makes me feel like every tiny bit of outside noise is amplified somehow.

The only reason to even consider not using them as my exclusive daily driver and just sell everything else is comfort, which I'm slowly figuring out as well.
I totally understand why some people can't deal with it, depending on ear size and other factors.
Yesterday I wore them all day, not because I was testing my limits or anything like that, but because I didn't feel them annoying me at all and I was busy with other things.
I think that experience in particular has made me fall in love with them.
The Forza cable has randomly made them a lot more comfortable, and the only spot that can irritate me is at the back corner (like a lot of other people).
If I turn them slightly forward that is eliminated, and yesterday I managed to keep them in that position.
I genuinely think wearing them a lot made my ears get used to them.
Using Final E clear tips by the way.

I'm really seriously considering selling my "main setup", grabbing a fancy DAP (maybe go all in on the Sony, since they've been blowing me away in so many ways) and switching to becoming an IEM main, which is not something I would've expected.

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #14,238 of 15,277
Wearing the Z1R all day without discomfort? You have reached ASCENSION my friend. Glad you found the trick of rotating them forward a little! Once you git gud at wearing Z1R they are comfortable and stable enough, I've even taken mine out for walks around the neighborhood with no issues, whereas back in the day there were times where I struggled to maintain a seal while sitting at my desk.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #14,240 of 15,277
This IEM has given me a bit of an existential crisis, in combination with the TAZ that is.
I thought I was done with the Utopia + Feliks Euforia (with a tube rolling saga involving quite some time, money, effort and research) + Schiit Yggy and a dedicated Lynx soundcard.
These Sony devices here are almost as good as all of the above, if not more enjoyable in some ways.
The TAZ makes 3 separate units superfluous in one fell swoop - the synergy is off the chain.
I'm not doing any in-depth critical comparison type listening by the way - this is just me casually swapping back and forth listening to different music.

I've been using the IER-Z1R daily now with the 2.5m Forza cable (which is amazing by the way and I would highly recommend as far as longer cables go), and I'm really struggling to want to go back to the Utopia due to a couple of things:
- The tube amp needs 10 minutes minimum to warm up and has to be switched on from the back - the TAZ has a remote. (see also: lazy)
- The IER just sit on my desk, so I can grab them quickly while the Utopia are on a proper stand that I have to slightly move over to grab. (see also: lazy)
- I'm working out every morning, so when I come into the house to check some mails I can quickly plug those into my ears without worring about making my overears dirty in some way for 5 minutes before showering - I have to *think* less about using the headphones, with the tube amp and Utopia it's almost more of a process.
- IEMs provide INCREDIBLE isolation. I wish someone had recommended IEMs to me when I was looking for a sort of "dedicated" gaming headphone that would isolate well - these fit the bill EXACTLY. I'm playing Baldur's Gate 3 at the moment, and the experience is absolutely breathtaking.
This is also one of the reasons I'm enjoying listening to music so much more - everything else is just drowned out (traffic, cat, fans, other half).
The Utopia sometimes makes me feel like every tiny bit of outside noise is amplified somehow.

The only reason to even consider not using them as my exclusive daily driver and just sell everything else is comfort, which I'm slowly figuring out as well.
I totally understand why some people can't deal with it, depending on ear size and other factors.
Yesterday I wore them all day, not because I was testing my limits or anything like that, but because I didn't feel them annoying me at all and I was busy with other things.
The Forza cable has randomly made them a lot more comfortable, and the only spot that can irritate me is at the back corner (like a lot of other people).
If I turn them slightly forward that is eliminated, and yesterday I managed to keep them in that position.

I'm really seriously considering selling my "main setup", grabbing a fancy DAP (maybe go all in on the Sony, since they've been blowing me away in so many ways) and switching to becoming an IEM main, which is not something I would've expected.
Congrats, now you've made me miss my Taz. The synergy between Z1R and Taz is seriously one of the best I've experienced in the hobby. I only sold mine because I wanted full portability. You'll get similar impact with an iBasso DX300 MAX if you can find one used.

Enjoy and welcome to the club!

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #14,241 of 15,277
Congrats, now you've made me miss my Taz. The synergy between Z1R and Taz is seriously one of the best I've experienced in the hobby. I only sold mine because I wanted full portability. You'll get similar impact with an iBasso DX300 MAX if you can find one used.

Enjoy and welcome to the club!
I havent missed my TAZ yet since getting the WM1 M2. Thinking about selling it^^ so if you want mine, just say so :D

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #14,242 of 15,277
I havent missed my TAZ yet since getting the WM1 M2. Thinking about selling it^^ so if you want mine, just say so :D
Thanks, I have the WM1Z. I auditioned the WM1ZM2 and preferred the original. TAZ is like a WM1Z on steroids, so I still have that flavour, and no longer use any desktop gear (DX300 MAX gives me the desktop power if and when I need it). I don't use headphones either.

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #14,243 of 15,277

Why dont explore how the utopia sound on the TAZ?

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #14,244 of 15,277
Thanks, I have the WM1Z. I auditioned the WM1ZM2 and preferred the original. TAZ is like a WM1Z on steroids, so I still have that flavour, and no longer use any desktop gear (DX300 MAX gives me the desktop power if and when I need it). I don't use headphones either.
Same for DMP is a WM1Z on steroids

Aug 7, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #14,245 of 15,277
I've been using the z1r for a few days now and synergy wise, the combo of Cayin N7/C9 is stunning. The soundstage and depth along with detail is virtually unmatched compared to virtually everything I've tried before. One exception being the Fir Rn6

Aug 7, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #14,246 of 15,277
I've been using the z1r for a few days now and synergy wise, the combo of Cayin N7/C9 is stunning. The soundstage and depth along with detail is virtually unmatched compared to virtually everything I've tried before. One exception being the Fir Rn6
I agree, I have a custom Rn6 and it's the first IEM to match the Z1R in overall SQ for me of the recent TOTLs.

Aug 7, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #14,247 of 15,277
I agree, I have a custom Rn6 and it's the first IEM to match the Z1R in overall SQ for me of the recent TOTLs.

The good thing is that they are different enough to justify keeping both.

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #14,249 of 15,277
I actually did!
The problem (well, it's not a problem, is it) is the Z1R works better with it and I'm starting to prefer IEMs in general.
Yes I’m mostly using the TA + IER-Z1R as my bed side rig now but sometimes use the MDR-Z1R as well.

When travelling I use my modded ZX-300 + 7hz Timeless on site and A55 or iPhone + WF-1000XM4 on the go.

I hardly ever use my modded 1Z any longer even though it is better than the ZX-300 but much bigger and heavier and the ZX-300 really is very good

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #14,250 of 15,277
I'm starting to prefer IEMs in general.
the same here... I always thought open headphones are the best... but more and more... it is shifting. Partly because i travel a lot and IEMs are just more convenient to put it in a bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back