SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 16, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #14,163 of 15,364
Jul 17, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #14,164 of 15,364
Do anyone of you own Z1R and Maestro SE? I know you guys like Z1R, and after reading alot about the iem, i can see why. One of the best iem out there, but if you were to give a neutral comparison?
I've tried both of them and I preferred the sound of the Maestro mainly because of the subbass but the fit was bad. The Z1R was one of the better fitting IEMs for my ears that I've tried over the past few months. I listen to 95% hip hop so great bass is all that I usually care about as long as the rest of it is passable.

The only kilobuck IEM that I currently still own is the U4S and honestly I prefer this over everything else that I've heard because the apex modules let me tune it how I like when I'm listening to other genres besides hip hop.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #14,166 of 15,364
@Whitigir, I watched your YouTube video: IER-Z1R vs IER-M9. Now I want the M9, too :)

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #14,167 of 15,364
IMG_2890.jpeg

Enjoying this Z1R quite a bit, it’s going to be hard to go back to the M7’s lol.

Jul 19, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #14,168 of 15,364

Enjoying this Z1R quite a bit, it’s going to be hard to go back to the M7’s lol.
Yep, not listened to my M9's yet since getting the Z1R (or any of my other IEM's). Sure novelty will wear off eventually and I swap about again.

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #14,169 of 15,364
Yep, not listened to my M9's yet since getting the Z1R (or any of my other IEM's). Sure novelty will wear off eventually and I swap about again.
... or not. Haha! It is a blessing to have choices, especially complimentary ones!

Jul 20, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #14,170 of 15,364
Do anyone of you own Z1R and Maestro SE? I know you guys like Z1R, and after reading alot about the iem, i can see why. One of the best iem out there, but if you were to give a neutral comparison?
It was a hassle to find one. Its not sold at e-earphone (thats strange), but i was only able to find a used one at a different store and tested it for you! Not just for you, after reading reviews i was curious but i am writing this here for you :D

It was ranked as like new, so i assume it was in perfect condition, but i can not say that for sure as i don't know how this thing is supposed to sound. It didn't sound broken or anything, just as a disclaimer that i tested a used unit.

The Bass was intense, like really strong. It sounded like i would use the IER-Z1R and push the bass slider in the EQ to +10. That was... new and different.

So if you really love bass and want a _lot_ of it, that is the right IEM for you. But even though the bass was much stronger, the physical feeling of air in the ear was lower and the bass was not as fast. If you have songs that mostly need strong bass, it mabye is better than the IER-Z1R (even though it was to much in my personal opinion, but that is just taste), but if you have songs that need an very authentic bass, i would still say the IER-Z1R is the winner.

So the bass was insanely strong, but beside that fact, it was nothing special or unique. Also this "Stereo System" like sound from the IER-Z1R was not there. It sounded pretty much like an average BA Monitor with lots of EQ even though it said it uses an DD for the bass. But that doesn't have to be bad. The IER-Z1R has an very unique sound not everyone likes, so just because it doesn't sound like it, doesn't make it worse. The IER-M9 also doesn't sound like the IER-Z1R and i personally prefer it.

But there is one thing that annoyed me really hard with the Maestro SE, half of the songs i have on my player hurt in my ears. Especially female vocalists but not just female vocals. Some songs just started to sound harsh/rough, especially with chrouses. But that, o fcourse, totally depends on the volume you're listening too. At low volumes, there were now issues, but it started shortly after going beyond medium.

It didn't spend a very long time listening to it, but in the time i had i checked all the songs i usually use to check Earphones and this is what was stuck in my mind

- Very, _very_, strong bass, too much with some songs imho
- Beside that, very average monitor like sound
- Lot of female vocals hurt

And yes, it has more Bass than the FiiO FHE that is advertised with "screw it, BASS", _much_ more.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #14,171 of 15,364
It was a hassle to find one. Its not sold at e-earphone (thats strange), but i was only able to find a used one at a different store and tested it for you! Not just for you, after reading reviews i was curious but i am writing this here for you :D

It was ranked as like new, so i assume it was in perfect condition, but i can not say that for sure as i don't know how this thing is supposed to sound. It didn't sound broken or anything, just as a disclaimer that i tested a used unit.

The Bass was intense, like really strong. It sounded like i would use the IER-Z1R and push the bass slider in the EQ to +10. That was... new and different.

So if you really love bass and want a _lot_ of it, that is the right IEM for you. But even though the bass was much stronger, the physical feeling of air in the ear was lower and the bass was not as fast. If you have songs that mostly need strong bass, it mabye is better than the IER-Z1R (even though it was to much in my personal opinion, but that is just taste), but if you have songs that need an very authentic bass, i would still say the IER-Z1R is the winner.

So the bass was insanely strong, but beside that fact, it was nothing special or unique. Also this "Stereo System" like sound from the IER-Z1R was not there. It sounded pretty much like an average BA Monitor with lots of EQ even though it said it uses an DD for the bass. But that doesn't have to be bad. The IER-Z1R has an very unique sound not everyone likes, so just because it doesn't sound like it, doesn't make it worse. The IER-M9 also doesn't sound like the IER-Z1R and i personally prefer it.

But there is one thing that annoyed me really hard with the Maestro SE, half of the songs i have on my player hurt in my ears. Especially female vocalists but not just female vocals. Some songs just started to sound harsh/rough, especially with chrouses. But that, o fcourse, totally depends on the volume you're listening too. At low volumes, there were now issues, but it started shortly after going beyond medium.

It didn't spend a very long time listening to it, but in the time i had i checked all the songs i usually use to check Earphones and this is what was stuck in my mind

And yes, it has more Bass than the FiiO FHE that is advertised with "screw it, BASS", _much_ more.
Thank you so much for a detailed A/B ❤️

Jul 20, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #14,172 of 15,364

You'll find that sibiliance/spicy treble on MSE can be negated with the right tips, and you also need a very deep insert. Without those two things, yes, it can be too spicy. It also needs ALOT of power to shine. WM1Z won't cut it. You need a powerful DAP with lots of current. Else it can sound bloated and harsh.

Overall Z1R has more quality and is better tuned, I agree. Personal taste and all that.

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #14,173 of 15,364

Excellent service to the forum, going out of your way to test, and these two comments on Z1R are what make it special for me compared to all others I've tried, including my M9's. Z1R sounds more like a quality headphone than a small space IEM, and Z1R sound stage is vast, spacious, alive.

but even though the bass was much stronger, the physical feeling of air in the ear was lower and the bass was not as fast. I
Also this "Stereo System" like sound from the IER-Z1R was not there.

Jul 21, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #14,174 of 15,364
Just wanted to chime in again that I'm still loving these, currently using them with a 3.5mm extension cable out of the TAZ while waiting for a new 4.4mm 2.5m cable.
I appreciate these so much on warmer days when I don't want to have full-sized HPs on my head but still want to enjoy high-end audio reproduction.

I discovered silicone covers for them on aliexpress, which are actually designed to prevent them from taking fall damage, but I found them to be supremely comfortable in the ear as well.
I think I saw another Forum user use these or at least show them off on a picture.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, but they're called:
"Shockproof Portable Protective Case for Sony IER-M9 M7 Z1R IER-Z1R Earbud Headphones Earphone Sleeve Bag Cover"
I think they hit all of the keywords on that one.

I also just noticed that one of the descriptions of this product is: Cute-looking
While I'm not so sure about that, I do think they're worth considering.

Jul 21, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #14,175 of 15,364
Just wanted to chime in again that I'm still loving these, currently using them with a 3.5mm extension cable out of the TAZ while waiting for a new 4.4mm 2.5m cable.
I appreciate these so much on warmer days when I don't want to have full-sized HPs on my head but still want to enjoy high-end audio reproduction.

I discovered silicone covers for them on aliexpress, which are actually designed to prevent them from taking fall damage, but I found them to be supremely comfortable in the ear as well.
I think I saw another Forum user use these or at least show them off on a picture.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, but they're called:
"Shockproof Portable Protective Case for Sony IER-M9 M7 Z1R IER-Z1R Earbud Headphones Earphone Sleeve Bag Cover"
I think they hit all of the keywords on that one.

I also just noticed that one of the descriptions of this product is: Cute-looking
While I'm not so sure about that, I do think they're worth considering.
Can you put them on without removing the cable? I'm guessing no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back