SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 27, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #13,966 of 15,280
Haydn piano trios w/The Beaux Arts trio, rhese guys always dis amazing fine recordings. And the Z1R presents them excellently
image.jpg

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #13,967 of 15,280
Just ordered one through Amazon (for their lax return policy). Thanks for your help everyone.
Please do update when you have tried them.
Hope you’ll like it .

Jun 27, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #13,969 of 15,280
For the fit or the sound? Or both?
For the fit. Its like my eats ached and had to take pauses so went gradually less and less.

For the sound was easier as i came from a sony XBA-Z5

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #13,970 of 15,280
Please do update when you have tried them.
Hope you’ll like it .
I’ve been listening for about 20 minutes now. A few thoughts:

- The fit isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I can definitely wear these for a few hours.
- The bass is great (obviously).
- This is my third favorite treble behind the Helios OG and the Annihilator. The treble timbre is great, just a touch spicy at times.
- The soundstage is enormous for an IEM.

I like it.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #13,972 of 15,280
I’ve been listening for about 20 minutes now. A few thoughts:

- The fit isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I can definitely wear these for a few hours.
- The bass is great (obviously).
- This is my third favorite treble behind the Helios OG and the Annihilator. The treble timbre is great, just a touch spicy at times.
- The soundstage is enormous for an IEM.

I like it.
Told you the fit its ok for me too
Just the weight make it uncomfortable when used to walk or moving around the house so i tend to use it only on the comfort of the couch

About the treeble spicyness, try using smaller eartips and shove it deeper it will be less spicy

Jun 28, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #13,973 of 15,280
Late entry. Huge Sony fanboy here. After 5 years of waiting on the sidelines and reading all of the helpful feedback here on this legendary IEM, I’ve decided that the
SONY IER-Z1R will be my next IEM. Should pair well with my NPAudio WM1A and Blackgate WM1Z mods (which I love and will never part with). Thanks for the valuable feedback guys…impressions soon to follow.

Jun 28, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #13,974 of 15,280
I've gotten some more listening in on the Z1R - it's an interesting pair. Some thoughts:

I think the Z1R is an important IEM in that it has probably the best bass in an IEM. At the very least, when people talk about the best bass in an IEM, the Z1R almost always comes up in a conversation.

A similar thing can be said for its enormous soundstage albeit to a lesser degree.

I think the tuning and resolution on the Z1R is a bit dated. At the same time, the Z1R is a good reference point and I can't say I've heard anything that quite sounds like it. It's unique in that regard.

I'm still deciding whether I should keep it, but not for fit reasons. More because the Z1R doesn't fit my established preferences or the things I typically index for (neutral + sub-bass boost tuning, resolution, dynamics, great mids, refinement).

If I was to keep it, it would be because it undeniably sounds good (and makes me feel like a king).

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #13,975 of 15,280
I've gotten some more listening in on the Z1R - it's an interesting pair. Some thoughts:

I think the Z1R is an important IEM in that it has probably the best bass in an IEM. At the very least, when people talk about the best bass in an IEM, the Z1R almost always comes up in a conversation.

A similar thing can be said for its enormous soundstage albeit to a lesser degree.

I think the tuning and resolution on the Z1R is a bit dated. At the same time, the Z1R is a good reference point and I can't say I've heard anything that quite sounds like it. It's unique in that regard.

I'm still deciding whether I should keep it, but not for fit reasons. More because the Z1R doesn't fit my established preferences or the things I typically index for (neutral + sub-bass boost tuning, resolution, dynamics, great mids, refinement).

If I was to keep it, it would be because it undeniably sounds good (and makes me feel like a king).
Z1r is not the most detail i agree
But bass is one of the best, if not the best.
The soundstage is so grand
Yes the lower mid could be better
But other than that i think its one of the best overall iem , for my listening prefference at least.

The one thing that makes me want to buy another pair of iem is because when im listening to the z1r, it tend to be a bit tiring
Due to the grandness if the sound
And also i dont know why but i tend to set the volume to be higher when i listen to it.

For me the 64 audio U4s does sound a bit similar to z1r but minus the grandness of the soundstage.

They are both more fun than neutral

Jun 28, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #13,976 of 15,280
But other than that i think its one of the best overall iem , for my listening prefference at least.

The one thing that makes me want to buy another pair of iem is because when im listening to the z1r, it tend to be a bit tiring
And also i dont know why but i tend to set the volume to be higher when i listen to it.

For me the 64 audio U4s does sound a bit similar to z1r but minus the grandness of the soundstage.

The U4s is one of my favorites! The soundstage is way more intimate than the Z1R for sure. The colored tonality of the U4s is really fun.

The bass on the U4s isn't talked about enough. It doesn't have the visceral nature of the Z1R or it's slam, but it has a great texture and an organic-ness that I've really come to appreciate. The Z1R has the best bass, but there are times where I prefer the U4s'. It's nice to have both.

Jun 28, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #13,977 of 15,280

I’ve settled with the 7hz Timeless OG with my daps for travel and the IER-Z1R for home use with the TA

Jun 28, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #13,980 of 15,280
I’ve settled with the 7hz Timeless OG with my daps for travel and the IER-Z1R for home use with the TA
I use the u4s for travelling
Replacing the ie 200 as i cant really get a good seal with it .
Want to try the timeless maybe i should get it too 🤦🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back