SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 23, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #13,936 of 15,325
You will need to try them for your self as fit is such an individual thing. For me the Z1R is very comfortable and I can wear them 6-8 hours straight with no problems
Yeah for sure. Still, if you own/have tried any of the IEMs I’ve listed and can draw a quick comparison, it would be helpful. Thanks.

Again, I may not be able to demo the Z1R so this is the next best thing :)

Jun 24, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #13,937 of 15,325
Yeah for sure. Still, if you own/have tried any of the IEMs I’ve listed and can draw a quick comparison, it would be helpful. Thanks.

Again, I may not be able to demo the Z1R so this is the next best thing :)
Fit is an issue with the IER-Z1R due to the size and weight and they’re completely unlike the models you've listed. For example, the ThieAudio Monarch Mk II is a large IEM but it is lighter— the fit of the IER-Z1R for some is even more problematic. You should try them first and review the retailer’s return policy carefully.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #13,938 of 15,325
Hi everyone, I’m interested in buying a Z1R but I have concerns about the fit.

Assuming I won’t be able to demo them, I wanted to ask how the Z1R fit compares to the fit of IEMs like:

OG Helios
Elysian Diva/Annihilator
Blessing 2: Dusk
Monarch MK2
Or similarly uncomfortable IEMs

Thanks!

I can comment on the comfort on these, but be aware that YMMV.

The first day or so I wore them I felt severe pain at the back of my ear after about half an hour to an hour.
This was due to the pointy edge bit pressing against a spot that it really shouldn't.
I thought to order a silicon case from aliexpress to prevent this from happening.

Then I thought, why not google "how to wear these".
I did and found some review videos where people had them on with a clear sideview and lo and behold:
I was wearing them wrong.
I put the entire IEM inside of my ear tightly up to the top, where it would sit very securely but cause pain.
I should've left the outside bit more relaxed and down(the sort of edge at the back), as they definitely won't fall out due to being inserted fairly deeply into the canal and obviously having the cable go around the top.

Now they're VERY comfortable to wear with stock medium silicone tips, haven't even tried tip rolling at all even though I have many a variety lying around here now that aren't even Sony's own (Final E and some others people mentioned).

The Blessing 2: Dusks were my first "serious" pair, and I was wearing them all day while I was travelling as part of my portable setup, these eventually caused a bit of pain or fatigue at the end of a long session, and I think that was also due to me not being used to IEMs.
But I would say the Sonys are very similar in that regard for me, as an IEM noob.

I can now spend a long time on these without pain, and while I think that the Blessings are probably more comfortable for longer for a majority of people, if you insert these properly you can get away with wearing them for just as long IF you don't have extremely small ears.
I'm lucky in that regard to have standard sized ones.

I have read though that many people went on to sell these because of fit issues, this is probably a very common issue.

Jun 24, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #13,939 of 15,325
I put the entire IEM inside of my ear tightly up to the top, where it would sit very securely but cause pain.
Spot on! I still see people doing this and just smh 🫣 If you take a look at the design of the earpiece, it has a tear-shaped rounded wedge just above the nozzle perfectly shaped to fit the same tear shaped wedge in just about every human ear. That's as far as the earpiece is meant to go. Then, if it feels too loose because you have wide ear canals, get a bigger tip, don't push the IEMs deeper. I thought this was common sense, but maybe not 🤷🏻

Jun 24, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #13,940 of 15,325
Hi everyone, I’m interested in buying a Z1R but I have concerns about the fit.

Assuming I won’t be able to demo them, I wanted to ask how the Z1R fit compares to the fit of IEMs like:

OG Helios
Elysian Diva/Annihilator
Blessing 2: Dusk
Monarch MK2
Or similarly uncomfortable IEMs

Thanks!
Z1r fit better than the dusk for me

Jun 25, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #13,941 of 15,325
I live in constant fear of the day they announce the IER Z2R. I figure that day may be approaching, seeing as how the Z1R have been out for nearly five years now.

Jun 25, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #13,942 of 15,325
I live in constant fear of the day they announce the IER Z2R. I figure that day may be approaching, seeing as how the Z1R have been out for nearly five years now.
That wont make the Z1R worse and I for one will not be buying unless my Z1R breaks

Jun 25, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #13,943 of 15,325
That post has nothing to do with the Z1R becoming worse (somehow?) because of the release of a new product. That's a very strange thing to happen.

It's more like the temptation to pick up the Z2R will be HUGE because of how much I adore the Z1R.

Jun 25, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #13,944 of 15,325
That post has nothing to do with the Z1R becoming worse (somehow?) because of the release of a new product. That's a very strange thing to happen.

It's more like the temptation to pick up the Z2R will be HUGE because of how much I adore the Z1R.
People here frequently seem to act like that just because a new (and perhaps better) product comes out the previous is suddenly a poorer product than it was before the release of the new model

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #13,945 of 15,325
Yeah, that's a problem for them, if that's actually what they observe.

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #13,946 of 15,325
The XBA-Z5 is from 2014 and doesn't have any successor yet.

But you don't have to be afraid of an Z2R, it would be inferior.

It would be an Z1R M2 you should be afraid of

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #13,948 of 15,325
Why fear? Then you'll just have two great Sony IEMs to play with 🤗

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #13,949 of 15,325
What if that fear goes for 20 years (usual time for sont special releases)

Jun 26, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #13,950 of 15,325
Please tell me an IEM which is still relevant 5 years from today and still selling except for the z1r & u12t ??
Newer tuning doesn't seem to be time proof.
Don't be afraid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back