SONY IER-Z1R
May 27, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #13,726 of 15,280
They sounded the same to me when I blind tested. or at least I could not report distinguish one from the other .

I prefer using the Sony products for their design and battery life
I’m made my first foray into Sony portable audio (NW A306) since I bought my minidisc player years ago. I’m impressed so far. It certainly brings out the sparkle in the IER Z1R.

May 28, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #13,727 of 15,280
I’m made my first foray into Sony portable audio (NW A306) since I bought my minidisc player years ago. I’m impressed so far. It certainly brings out the sparkle in the IER Z1R.
I love my a306. It's my go to on the move player with the Z1R s. I use the AM2 at home with my full-size headphones.

May 28, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #13,728 of 15,280
my z1r is almost 3 years now, while im totally satisfied with it, but the buy buy buy syndromes is coming back to me, so about 2 months ago I auditioned Sennheiser ie200 and ie600 and ie900, from my memory i felt that i like the 200/600 much more than the 900.
So in the end i get the 200 , thinking that i’ll onlybuse it for casual listening like apple music loseless or YouTube on my phone via a small usb c dongle my moondrop dawn.
But now the syndromes hit me again 😥
Thinking to get the Sennheiser ie600 or 64audio 12T

When I auditioned the ie200 vs ie600 the place is not ideal and i dont have much time so I bought the ie200 cause i thought it was way cheaper and have “similar” sound output.
But i wonder if the 600 will be better for me now ?
I like the ie200 tuning, but i would willing to pay more for a bit more bass, the punchy bass, and also more forward mids.

But then i also interested in the u12t as its many people end game iem. But i never have a BA iem before, only my z1r have single ba on it, so i dont know what to expect and also its hard to find a place to audition it in my country.

So if anyone have z1r and ie600 , ie200, and u12t ,
Please share your thought as a fellow z1r user.

I really love everything about z1r
Fit was ok for me , though i cant wear it to sleep like my ie200
Soundwise i love it
If only i can change a bit is the mid
I wish the mid could be more forward
But this z1r is my fav iem ever and i dont think i will ever sell this.
I just need a back up or a companion 😅

May 28, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #13,730 of 15,280
my z1r is almost 3 years now, while im totally satisfied with it, but the buy buy buy syndromes is coming back to me, so about 2 months ago I auditioned Sennheiser ie200 and ie600 and ie900, from my memory i felt that i like the 200/600 much more than the 900.
So in the end i get the 200 , thinking that i’ll onlybuse it for casual listening like apple music loseless or YouTube on my phone via a small usb c dongle my moondrop dawn.

When I auditioned the ie200 vs ie600 the place is not ideal and i dont have much time so I bought the ie200 cause i thought it was way cheaper and have “similar” sound output.
I like the ie200 tuning, but i would willing to pay more for a bit more bass, the punchy bass, and also more forward mids.

But then i also interested in the u12t as its many people end game iem. But i never have a BA iem before, only my z1r have single ba on it, so i dont know what to expect and also its hard to find a place to audition it in my country.

Soundwise i love it

I held onto my ie600 for sleep

May 28, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #13,731 of 15,280

Soundwise i love it
graph.png
IER-Z1R vs U12T.jpg
I have both u12t and z1r. Spinfit W1 on u12t + m15 module, Final E tips on z1r.
Measurements were taken on clone 711 coupler, please don't pay too much attention to the frequencies above 6k.

The bass texture on u12t is excellent, though it lacks the feeling of air movement from the sub-bass. Compares to z1r bass, feels slightly less solid, and less impactful.

Mids on the u12t is indeed much more forward than z1r, however, I don't have strong preference in this area, as long as it sounds correct and natural. (I use z1r more recently because it is more relax when listening to jpop female vocal).

U12t has more sparkles in the treble, cymbal is more noticable.

U12t has sharper tone, more details on string instruments (guitar and violin), very satisfying, z1r feels more smoothed out.
Two sets presented imaging little differently, u12t focuses more on center imaging.

I demoed ie600 last year, was an okay set, little too much ear gain for me, overall sound didn't impressed me.

My thought is: you can't go wrong with u12t, it is a fantastic complementor, depends on your mood and type of music, you can also play around with tuning modules. To me, there are enough differences to have them both and not feel redundant.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #13,732 of 15,280

Soundwise i love it
12t and Z1R are end-game to me, Z1R is more energetic and fun, 12t is more organic and natural, really feel relaxed when listening to 12t, both wear comfortable and the sound. They cannot be replaced by each other, we should own both of them :ksc75smile:

May 28, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #13,733 of 15,280
May 28, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #13,734 of 15,280
thx for the replies
For my kind of music, mostly 80’s 90’s pop
, smooth jazz, a little bit of hip hop and rnb, is the 12t suitable?

I feel that my z1r sounded much better for almost any kind of song i played on them, compared to others iem that i tried or had before.
But compared to my ie200 , the z1r sometimes feel too grand, a bit fatiguing, where the ie200 feel more comfortable listening in lower volume and for longer session.

I tend to bump up the volume more on my z1r + Wm1Am2 combo, mostly 80-85 /120 on low gain.

About the U12t
If i were to get it, is better to get the CIEM or universal type ?

May 28, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #13,735 of 15,280
thx for the replies

I feel that my z1r sounded much better for almost any kind of song i played on them, compared to others iem that i tried or had before.
But compared to my ie200 , the z1r sometimes feel too grand, a bit fatiguing, where the ie200 feel more comfortable listening in lower volume and for longer session.

I tend to bump up the volume more on my z1r + Wm1Am2 combo, mostly 80-85 /120 on low gain.

About the U12t
I think 12t would be better for you, if you are new to CIEM, please be noted that almost CIEMs are a little bit darker compared to their universal version, there are many explanations written both by users and brand representatives, the main reason is the deeper insertion of CIEM version. A super big plus of CIEM is that you can wear it for hours without any pain and its aesthetic is made for your preference, so it is very beautiful in your eyes, especially for 64 because they have APEX. After some experiences with custom IEMs, I really love them and decided to get a custom version of 12t and never regret it.

May 28, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #13,736 of 15,280
I tried U12T for the first time last week. For me it's such a boring set, plain and laid back mids, soft treble and decent rumble bass but no way it touchs the bass quality of something like z1r. I think it's tuning is just too inoffensive and safe which really puts me off

May 29, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #13,737 of 15,280
thx for the replies

About the U12t
i owned the z1r since day and its a keeper. that said, i picked up a Penon Impact recently, its an all BA/EST. fantastic mid, good resolution and imaging. its a BA bass so cant compare to the zir DD slower decay. it complement the z1r with a different flavour. Penon just launched a 10th anniversary edition with 2DD/2BA/2EST. since its a z1r thread, i will stop here.

May 30, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #13,738 of 15,280
I've had the Z1Rs for about a year now. I'm not a bass head and mainly listen to classical, so I've struggled with using them the way they are. When EQ-ed to the Harman target they sound absolutely incredible(!). Hoping someone knows if there any IEMs out there that can sound like the Harman EQ-ed Z1Rs out of the box?

May 30, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #13,739 of 15,280
I've had the Z1Rs for about a year now. I'm not a bass head and mainly listen to classical, so I've struggled with using them the way they are. When EQ-ed to the Harman target they sound absolutely incredible(!). Hoping someone knows if there any IEMs out there that can sound like the Harman EQ-ed Z1Rs out of the box?
what do you pair it with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back