SONY IER-Z1R
May 25, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #13,712 of 15,233
Anybody tried null audio cable on their z1r ?
I have null audio ethos on my Sennheiser ie200/600 and they sounded better than their stock cable
But I can’t try it on z1r since the mmcx pin os different
Im thinking of ordering a higher end version of null audio cable for my z1r but I don’t want to mess around with the sound of my z1r.
The stock cable sounded great like everybody says, but its uncomfortable.
So if null audio cable can give me same sound but with much more comfort then im sold.

May 25, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #13,714 of 15,233
Wonder if using a desiccant pack in the case speeds up the hardness of the plastic ageing. Either get weird water/moisture in them or have them get dry/old and crack. The future of these cables? hehe
Switch out to the ISN G4 and be done with it. I have and I'm super happy! No ear hooks on their cables, though, and you learn they're not necessary.

May 26, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #13,715 of 15,233
Wonder if using a desiccant pack in the case speeds up the hardness of the plastic ageing. Either get weird water/moisture in them or have them get dry/old and crack. The future of these cables? hehe
Weird enough, my Z1R we're not stored with the dissecant baggie infacr nor my MDR never that's what if I find weird that's my cable heartGoy hard and stiff. Fortunately, I have the other ca that is included in the box . I I know, that it means that my pair of z1R are you going to be single ended.

May 26, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #13,716 of 15,233
Weird enough, my Z1R we're not stored with the dissecant baggie infacr nor my MDR never that's what if I find weird that's my cable heartGoy hard and stiff. Fortunately, I have the other ca that is included in the box . I I know, that it means that my pair of z1R are you going to be single ended.
Can always buy another for $120 or whatever it costs if you don't want to go with other brands

May 26, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #13,718 of 15,233
I'm not a believer either in the cables effecting sound from a purely scientific stance of how transducers produce sound and what the role of the cable is in that process. Its all too homeopathic and alchemic for me.

That being said if it brings someone joy or perceived satisfaction, who am I to yuck their yum.
I am a scientist myself, so I am very cautious about any claims that cannot be proven scientifically. Yet, sometimes I experience what I believe to be differences in the sound, when I listen to Hi-Res music versus CD quality music, while others claim that the human ears are not capable of perceiving any difference. Only double-blinded tests may eventually reveal the truth, about which I have been thinking for a while now.

May 26, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #13,719 of 15,233
I am a scientist myself, so I am very cautious about any claims that cannot be proven scientifically. Yet, sometimes I experience what I believe to be differences in the sound, when I listen to Hi-Res music versus CD quality music, while others claim that the human ears are not capable of perceiving any difference. Only double-blinded tests may eventually reveal the truth, about which I have been thinking for a while now.

Yeah I think our expectation really strongly influences our perception of sound. I don't think that means its untrue per se because real life is not double blinded BUT it does mean that perhaps we are being overly influenced. Especially if the blind test reveals the "cheaper" product isn't just non inferior but preferred!

I've done some randomized single blinded tests of DAPs I personally own (iems are much harder since they feel different) and I could not reliably tell the difference between my Hiby R6 and my WM1AM2. Now this could just be because I am not well trained or perhaps my headphones (MDR Z1R and IER Z1R) are not "good enough" tho the former if true is not a big deal since I only can hear what I hear. As for the latter I dont think that is the case especially the IER Z1R.

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #13,720 of 15,233
Yeah I think our expectation really strongly influences our perception of sound. I don't think that means its untrue per se because real life is not double blinded BUT it does mean that perhaps we are being overly influenced. Especially if the blind test reveals the "cheaper" product isn't just non inferior but preferred!

I've done some randomized single blinded tests of DAPs I personally own (iems are much harder since they feel different) and I could not reliably tell the difference between my Hiby R6 and my WM1AM2. Now this could just be because I am not well trained or perhaps my headphones (MDR Z1R and IER Z1R) are not "good enough" tho the former if true is not a big deal since I only can hear what I hear. As for the latter I dont think that is the case especially the IER Z1R.
Personal preference vs “objectively better” is two different things and there is nothing wrong with prefering something that is in some ways inferior to something else. I’m sure that the HD800 is technically better than my MDR-Z1R but I would chose the MDR any day just like I would chose even my Sony A55 dap over any AK dap I’ve heard.

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #13,721 of 15,233
Personal preference vs “objectively better” is two different things and there is nothing wrong with prefering something that is in some ways inferior to something else. I’m sure that the HD800 is technically better than my MDR-Z1R but I would chose the MDR any day just like I would chose even my Sony A55 dap over any AK dap I’ve heard.
i don't know why but i feel you🙃

May 27, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #13,722 of 15,233
Personal preference vs “objectively better” is two different things and there is nothing wrong with prefering something that is in some ways inferior to something else.
That's really the key to 'endgame' in the hobby. Once you start focusing on what you prefer instead of what others consider 'better', you're basically on the road to endgame. Of course that's also a shortcut out of the hobby, so if you want to stay in the hobby, forget all that and keep chasing... :sweat_smile:

May 27, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #13,723 of 15,233

I'm not just talking about measuring "better". I'm talking about how much our bias or preconception conditions what we think is better like in the experiment below.

Ultimately it's the subjective experience that matters. but there is, I think, there is a meaningful difference between an informed decision and a misinformed decision.

for the record I much prefer my Sony players but that's largely a function of their design and battery life. It is not on the basis of sound.

May 27, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #13,724 of 15,233
May 27, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #13,725 of 15,233
which dap sound "better for you"? And why?

They sounded the same to me when I blind tested. or at least I could not report distinguish one from the other .

I prefer using the Sony products for their design and battery life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back