SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 4, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #13,171 of 15,277
My Brise Yatono Rh+ 2023 just arrived. At doesn't seems much difference from the stock cable. Just a tad meatier in the sub Bass and mids.

But after skipping over a few songs, I do hear some extra details that are not present with the stock cable.
After more listening, the treble extra details is a bit too much for me. Had to switch the Walkman one bright tuning to wmz and on Region E.

This cable expends stage deeper and higher. Vocals are more forward now.

Fyi using with xelestec tips, IER-Z1R to Wm1z on Mr. Walkman Walkman One, WMZ tuning with region E.

I have the STR7 SE but didn't tried it on the Z1R due to it's is a normal mmcx connectors. But I ordered this Yatono RH+ due to the changes STR7 SE made to my JVC FW01.

For now, will say this cable is very good but the stock cable is good too. Cable should be the last thing you need to change. The small increment you get is very small compare to the cost of the cable. Only spend if you have spare cash. I did it on impulse and I will have to Scrooge McDuck for the year 2023. Hope this helps.

IMG_20230204_184602.jpg

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #13,172 of 15,277
Hi, how do this cable perform compared to the stock cable. I have the Brise cable in my list for a while, can't decide yet. Im looking at the Naobi series which is similar to STR.
sound wise, there is better low end, quality and quantity (a bit). i feel the mids are a bit more forward as well. not much has changed in the high end. it somehow feels a bit more holographic.
ergo wise, the ear bends tend not to stay but combined with the chin slider, i can get it to work. the cable is a bit stiffer than the stock. others have reported it to be microphonic but i did not really feel it much. there is some but not really bothersome to me.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #13,173 of 15,277
sound wise, there is better low end, quality and quantity (a bit). i feel the mids are a bit more forward as well. not much has changed in the high end. it somehow feels a bit more holographic.
ergo wise, the ear bends tend not to stay but combined with the chin slider, i can get it to work. the cable is a bit stiffer than the stock. others have reported it to be microphonic but i did not really feel it much. there is some but not really bothersome to me.
Thanks man, I will do little more research on the Naobi LE, it fits my budget and seems less bulky too.

I do like the stock cable, but just find the textures lacking compared to MDR Z1R with Sony Kimber. Just hoping a good copper cable can improve the textures and maintain the fun nature of the stock OFC cable.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #13,175 of 15,277
Thanks man, I will do little more research on the Naobi LE, it fits my budget and seems less bulky too.

I do like the stock cable, but just find the textures lacking compared to MDR Z1R with Sony Kimber. Just hoping a good copper cable can improve the textures and maintain the fun nature of the stock OFC cable.
If you get a chance, try the PW Audio 1950s. New it's very expensive, and you may need to have it reterminated to mmcx, but it elevates the Z1R to an incredibly high technical level while beefing up resolution and texture across the range. It's also super high-grade pure Cardas copper, unlike the SPC stock cable (which is still very good).

Feb 4, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #13,176 of 15,277
Or sell it to me :laughing:
I was trying to grab one of the 10 available but came late to the party ... (actually, I was looking to buy one for my FitEar DC Ti)
mine came with mmcx connectors for IER-Z1R. think you will need to send them back for retermination and retermination costs a lot. more than half the price of the cable iirc.

not selling if i can help it. it's a very impressive cable. the STR7 SE is better than 1960s 2W and comparable to 1960 4W (based on memory. sold those 2 cables so cannot compare side by side). this one is a few level over the STR7 SE. had to add 5-6 steps more over the stock cable to volume match with the stock cable. wonder anyone else have this experience with Brise cables. once you increased the volume, the magic starts. normally vocals sounds further back with the IER-Z1R but this cable managed to bring it forward as though as the singer is singing right in front of me. this was accomplished without artificially decreasing the other frequencies or congesting the whole frequency during busy passage.

Same with the STR7 SE but to a lesser degree. I think this is the characteristic of Brise cables. I think the darker background is due to higher impedance. anyone measured them before?

Never tried FitEar iems before but saw many poster in the Brise thread ordered them for Fitears iem. Wonder how they sounds compared to IER-Z1R?

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #13,178 of 15,277
Hello thread...

I am listening to my new pair of IER-Z1R I traded for - the pair is brand new (I got to take off the cellophane!) and I am fairly blown away that they fit well. I was thinking with all the posts about ill-fitting that they were going to hang out of my ears like the EX1000. I could never get those to fit right.

I have about 2 hours so far - and I think I know what everyone has been talking about - bass is awesome - soundstage is vast. I am happy. This is a long thread - there is much catching up to do :)

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #13,180 of 15,277
Is the z1r still worth it in 2023? Is it still an endgame iem?
Certainly is for me but I’ve not tried anything new other than the Tansio Mirai Sands the last 5 years so dont know what else is around

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #13,181 of 15,277
Feb 5, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #13,182 of 15,277
I traded a VE Elysium and am happy with my decision. I'm not sure if this means I sell my Nio - there may be room for both in the collection.

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #13,183 of 15,277
For second-hand price, absolutely, especially in term of bang for your buck. Is it still endgame? Really depends on how do you define your endgame. For Mids, there are many TOTL IEMs perform much better; for Bass, a few are also at the same level or even better (YMMV); for treble, there are also some that are better. Overall, in term of wow factor, or special sauces, or all-rounder, there are many more "mordern" IEMs that are subjectively better. However, if you don't want to spend more than $1200 or so for IEMs, including second-hand prices, IMO Z1R is the only one choice. You may get subjectively better ones, but prepard to spend way more, several thousands for them.

Feb 5, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #13,184 of 15,277
Feels like we’re in an IEM renaissance. So many great ones out there, and lots of new inspired designers entering the space.

Having owned the MDR and now the Z1R, there’s a timeless quality to both. A deep, colorful, and powerful musicality. I’ve heard different, but I haven’t heard better.

Feb 5, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #13,185 of 15,277
Does anyone use the included cable windy thingie when storing their Z1R's? I bought a few of the Campfire Audio mesh bags with two compartments for a few of my IEMs I want to keep in good shape - might just use one of those and a pelican case and leave the case in the box - it is nice, but doesn't seem too practical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back