SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 28, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #12,391 of 15,290
Hello everyone. I’ve just purchased the new SpinFit W1 tips to use with the Z1R and from what I’ve experienced these do not play well together. The deeper fit of the Z1R plays against the strengths of the tips meaning the pivoting system on the tips makes it near impossible to get a seal.

Just as an FYI in case anybody here was thinking of getting those tips.
I should have post this here, but I already shared my experience in best IEM tips thread. I recently bought three highly regarded tips: AZLA SenaEarfit Max Standard, SpinFit W1, and JVC EP-FX10 Spiral Dot.

Max Standard becomes my go-to tips for all IEM, including Z1R, seals wonderfully and preserves best bass performance, especially sub-bass.

W1 is comfortable and may work fine for some IEMs, for example, it works reasonably well for Monarch, though still a little behind CP100-M. But for Z1R it clearly falls behind Max and has noticeable loss of sub-bass compared to Max. The reason for W1 to not seal well is due to its tip: too soft and springy: right after you have pushed the IEM with W1 inside your ears, the springy tip push the whole IEM back a little bit and therefore break the seal.

Another drawback for W1 is that there is only one choice to purchase: a combo of S, M, L size, which makes the offer pretty expensive since you can only use one size.

I just tried W1 one more times on my IEMs and decided to return it anyway.

BTW, SpinFit CP100-M used to be the best for me on Z1R, therefore, I had high hope for W1.

JVC Spiral Dot is a total dissappointment for me, it simply won't stay in my ear. I usually only buy L size, but for Spiral Dot, I am not sure it is due to the size being too large or the fit. I already returned them. It is also the most expensive tips around.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #12,392 of 15,290
Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement cable that doesn't have a "floating" ear hook like the stock cable? Luckily, I get deep insertion and the IER-Z1R is fairly comfortable.

I think the primary issue is that the connector on the stock cable is too long so it doesn't allow the cable to hook properly.

I've seen Plussound and Lavri cables recommended here because they actually have the correct mmcx connectors, but I don't see any connector comparison photos or measurements to know whether they're actually shorter and will address this issue.

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #12,393 of 15,290
Hello everyone. I’ve just purchased the new SpinFit W1 tips to use with the Z1R and from what I’ve experienced these do not play well together. The deeper fit of the Z1R plays against the strengths of the tips meaning the pivoting system on the tips makes it near impossible to get a seal.

Just as an FYI in case anybody here was thinking of getting those tips.

Thanks for heading up, was going to buy that new spinfit for a try.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #12,394 of 15,290
Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement cable that doesn't have a "floating" ear hook like the stock cable? Luckily, I get deep insertion and the IER-Z1R is fairly comfortable.

I think the primary issue is that the connector on the stock cable is too long so it doesn't allow the cable to hook properly.

I've seen Plussound and Lavri cables recommended here because they actually have the correct mmcx connectors, but I don't see any connector comparison photos or measurements to know whether they're actually shorter and will address this issue.
Dunu blanche cable has been recommended here. I personly just bought the Amber, which is a much cheaper version and find the fit is good but very hard to remove once plugin. However, for the fitting, I can confirm that Amber is way much better than the stock cable.

Right now I am using a handband to help the stock cable hook stay put. The earhook of the stock cable indeed has the tendency to move away from your ears and drag the IEM with it.

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #12,395 of 15,290
I should have post this here, but I already shared my experience in best IEM tips thread. I recently bought three highly regarded tips: AZLA SenaEarfit Max Standard, SpinFit W1, and JVC EP-FX10 Spiral Dot.

Max Standard becomes my go-to tips for all IEM, including Z1R, seals wonderfully and preserves best bass performance, especially sub-bass.

W1 is comfortable and may work fine for some IEMs, for example, it works reasonably well for Monarch, though still a little behind CP100-M. But for Z1R it clearly falls behind Max and has noticeable loss of sub-bass compared to Max. The reason for W1 to not seal well is due to its tip: too soft and springy: right after you have pushed the IEM with W1 inside your ears, the springy tip push the whole IEM back a little bit and therefore break the seal.

Another drawback for W1 is that there is only one choice to purchase: a combo of S, M, L size, which makes the offer pretty expensive since you can only use one size.

I just tried W1 one more times on my IEMs and decided to return it anyway.

BTW, SpinFit CP100-M used to be the best for me on Z1R, therefore, I had high hope for W1.

JVC Spiral Dot is a total dissappointment for me, it simply won't stay in my ear. I usually only buy L size, but for Spiral Dot, I am not sure it is due to the size being too large or the fit. I already returned them. It is also the most expensive tips around.

Question about the Sedna EarFit Max. How soft is the silicone compared to the original Senda EarFit/EarFit Light? I like the sound of the Sendnas, but always found them to be too hard and uncomfortable compared to Spiral Dots, Acoustune and Sony tips. On the flip side, Xelastec and Crystal are too soft and sticky. Where does the EarFit Max sit in terms of softness and comfort?

Jul 29, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #12,396 of 15,290
Question about the Sedna EarFit Max. How soft is the silicone compared to the original Senda EarFit/EarFit Light? I like the sound of the Sendnas, but always found them to be too hard and uncomfortable compared to Spiral Dots, Acoustune and Sony tips. On the flip side, Xelastec and Crystal are too soft and sticky. Where does the EarFit Max sit in terms of softness and comfort?
For me the Crystal is near perfect and the one I use on my Z1R, though the TWS version actually. The Xelastec was useless for me, deformed after only a few days

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #12,397 of 15,290
For me the Crystal is near perfect and the one I use on my Z1R, though the TWS version actually. The Xelastec was useless for me, deformed after only a few days
I still find the Crystal too sticky, and surprisingly not as soft as the likes of Acoustune/JVC/Sony.

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #12,398 of 15,290
I still find the Crystal too sticky, and surprisingly not as soft as the likes of Acoustune/JVC/Sony.
I use the Sony black hybrid tips M-size. It’s pretty neat how diverse the tips everyone uses

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #12,399 of 15,290
Random question, for people who are getting a great seal/ fit with silicon tips. Is your ear wax wet or dry?

I'm on team wet, so at have never been able to get a good fit with silicon. Foam on the other hand works for me.

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #12,400 of 15,290
Dunu blanche cable has been recommended here. I personly just bought the Amber, which is a much cheaper version and find the fit is good but very hard to remove once plugin. However, for the fitting, I can confirm that Amber is way much better than the stock cable.

Right now I am using a handband to help the stock cable hook stay put. The earhook of the stock cable indeed has the tendency to move away from your ears and drag the IEM with it.
Oh yeah I saw the Blanche but I was worried the regular mmcx connector would be damaging the IER-Z1R mmcx given the tight fit.

Do you happen to have any photos you could share of the Amber connected to the IER-Z1R or compared side by side to stock? Would love to see if it'd solved my floating ear hook woes. :)

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #12,402 of 15,290

I had the Sony Kimber Kable and a Lavricable but the best experience was with this 4w OcAux OC Studio cable

1659098045314.jpeg

Jul 29, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #12,404 of 15,290
Jul 29, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #12,405 of 15,290
The silicone outside the stem is soft, comparable to Spiral Dots, but the stem is relative hard. However, since I am not very senstitive to the comfortness of the tip, so take my impression with a grain of salt. One of the concern of those tips is the silicone at the very tip being too springy, and the tip will push the IEM back once inserted, therefore break the seal it formed. Max standard is pretty good and will stay put once inserted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back