SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 21, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #11,656 of 15,335
Actually, there is something bothering me. I have been looking at Amazon Japan and I realised that there are more and more things I cannot ship to Singapore.

At first it was just Sony's higher end items like the IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and some walkman. But now even the MUC-M12SB1 cable and other lower value items cannot be shipped to Singapore.

Is Sony tryna pull a fast one again or is there insufficient supply for the Japanese market?

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #11,657 of 15,335
another perfect match after fiio m15
20220321_234704.jpg

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #11,658 of 15,335
Actually, there is something bothering me. I have been looking at Amazon Japan and I realised that there are more and more things I cannot ship to Singapore.

At first it was just Sony's higher end items like the IER-Z1R, IER-M9 and some walkman. But now even the MUC-M12SB1 cable and other lower value items cannot be shipped to Singapore.

Is Sony tryna pull a fast one again or is there insufficient supply for the Japanese market?
If you can find a way, try Sony Vietnam and their authorized shops.
IEM-Z1R are in stock here in Vietnam, and can be negotiated with a price lower than MSRP.

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #11,659 of 15,335

They ship the IER-M9 to Denmark, there is one in stock sold and fulfilled by Amazon

Mar 21, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #11,660 of 15,335
If you can find a way, try Sony Vietnam and their authorized shops.
IEM-Z1R are in stock here in Vietnam, and can be negotiated with a price lower than MSRP.
They ship the IER-M9 to Denmark, there is one in stock sold and fulfilled by Amazon
Thank you guys so much for sharing with me some information!

I already intend to buy the IER-Z1R locally, I am just looking for a legitimate source for the MUC-M12SB1 upgrade kable that is reasonably priced.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #11,661 of 15,335
Hi all,

Bit the bullet after years out of the game and bought the IER-Z1R. Back then was with the A&K DAP and AKG K3003 transitioned to Airpods for ease of use for years.

Eyed the Z1R ever since it launched and when I tried it last weekend (Which is a beautiful regret :deadhorse:) Immediately fell back into this hole I once were in!

I love this thing, the soundstage is so great that my angry fiancee jaw-dropped after trying it out as well and gave it me the green light to get it lol.

Quick question, the earhooks don't fit me quite well, always falling off my ears, do i have to push the IEM really deep to get the earhook to....hook?

I'm currently using my 2021 Macbook Pro that's able to drive high impedance headphones or iPhone 12PM with the dongle for OTG usage. Do suggest some small OTG DAC/AMP that you guys have used and works really well with this masterpiece.

Glad to be here, cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #11,662 of 15,335
Hi all,

Bit the bullet after years out of the game and bought the IER-Z1R. Back then was with the A&K DAP and AKG K3003 transitioned to Airpods for ease of use for years.

Eyed the Z1R ever since it launched and when I tried it last weekend (Which is a beautiful regret :deadhorse:) Immediately fell back into this hole I once were in!

I love this thing, the soundstage is so great that my angry fiancee jaw-dropped after trying it out as well and gave it me the green light to get it lol.

Quick question, the earhooks don't fit me quite well, always falling off my ears, do i have to push the IEM really deep to get the earhook to....hook?

I'm currently using my 2021 Macbook Pro that's able to drive high impedance headphones or iPhone 12PM with the dongle for OTG usage. Do suggest some small OTG DAC/AMP that you guys have used and works really well with this masterpiece.

Glad to be here, cheers!
The Earhook doesn't really hook, sadly. That's just the way Sony designed it, i would not bother that much.

The better the source, the better the IER-Z1R will sound, that is for sure. It is not as picky as the IER-M9 but still you hear a difference using an better source. So they will sound best with TA-ZH1ES/DMP-Z1 for sure. The next best thing might be an WM1 Series DAP.

If you want something really small/lightweight for OTG that sounds well with the IER-Z1R, i'd recommend the NW-A50.

1. S-Master HX + 5 POSCAP --> Good sound
2. USB DAC Mode --> To connect your phone
3. LDAC Bluetooth Receiver Mode --> Not with Apple

Afair neither MacBook nor iPhone support LDAC (as no other Apple device uses/supports it) so you might beforced to use the USB DAC Mode which is sad, as it is extremely comfortable to connect just any device using LDAC and be done (there is pretty much no difference from an Cable Connection compared to an LDAC)

If you have the money to spend, get an ZX300 (also does have USB DAC+LDAC) or even WM1A/Z (same here) instead of the A50 and use the IER-Z1R with 4,4mm Balanced. But this is already significantly larger than the A50 so this is not really an option for OTG if you want to connect it to your phone.

I personally would say, screw the phone and use an DAP for OTG. You don't buy an Ferrari and put 16" Eco Tires on steel wheels on it.

But if you really want to use your phone and you do not want to use an NW-A50 for whatever reason, i'd say check the new FiiO KA3 as this also supports 4,4mm (be sure to install the FiiO Software and put it Into Low-Gain, otherwise it will drain your battery in seconds, get extremely hot and you just don't need it for the IER-Z1R)

You really want an WM1 Series DAP to complete the IER-Z1R for OTG, at least the WM1A, but if this is not an option due to the size restriction, your best alternative is most likely the A50 or the FiiO KA3.

KA3 gives you the 4.4mm (but this uses the same circuit as the 3.5mm, so there is pretty much no improvement in sound), but needs your phone and drains its batteries heavily.

The A50 gives you the S-Master HX/POSCAP combo and the feature, that you could use it as an DAP (and you have something that sends and receives LDAC which is not possible with any of your gear right now) but no 4.4mm

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #11,663 of 15,335
Hi all,

Glad to be here, cheers!
Congrats on the purchase! I am 1.5 years in but did spend quite a bit of time tip rolling as I found getting a tight secure fit within the canal is key to stablising the iem body and taking its weight away from the cartilage ridges of the out ear. I use ML in the triple comfort now exclusively ... as find the seal and bass better than silicone. Have fun!

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #11,665 of 15,335
Hi all,

Glad to be here, cheers!
Congrats on the Z1R purchase! They’re great IEM’s for sure :)

I would recommend the Luxury & Precision W2 Dongle DAC/Amp for your Z1R. It’s quite powerful for a dongle (more powerful than the Sony Walkmans) and has great sound quality, rivalling DAPs that are far more expensive. The only issue you may face is the amount of power it draws from an iPhone. It can drain the battery quite a bit. I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro Max which has plenty of battery life but perhaps it will be an issue with the smaller iPhones.

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #11,666 of 15,335
Congrats on the Z1R purchase! They’re great IEM’s for sure :)

I would recommend the Luxury & Precision W2 Dongle DAC/Amp for your Z1R. It’s quite powerful for a dongle (more powerful than the Sony Walkmans) and has great sound quality, rivalling DAPs that are far more expensive. The only issue you may face is the amount of power it draws from an iPhone. It can drain the battery quite a bit. I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro Max which has plenty of battery life but perhaps it will be an issue with the smaller iPhones.

Thanks for the recommendation bud. L&P W2 or the newer L&P W2-131? Been looking at the W2 atm as well as I've saw it appear in forums replies quite often as well.

Battery life is of no issue for me, I'll check the W2's out!

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #11,667 of 15,335
Thanks for the recommendation bud. L&P W2 or the newer L&P W2-131? Been looking at the W2 atm as well as I've saw it appear in forums replies quite often as well.

Battery life is of no issue for me, I'll check the W2's out!
I haven’t tried the 131 myself, but my good friend @tawmizzzz wrote a great review comparing both here :)

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #11,668 of 15,335
Hi all,

Glad to be here, cheers!
Hi there m8, fellow sinkie here as well. Welcome onboard the Zirconium hype train. I have yet to board it but I know its a train that I wanna be on haha.

Since you mentioned that you are using a macbook pro 2021, I came across this Ikko DAC/AMP on carousell that is quite suitable for your use case plus you can use the 4.4MM cable that came with your Z1R: https://www.carousell.sg/p/ikko-mul...er_request_id=B1zwP_kSZ0Dsvkl4&t-tap_index=12

Thanks for posting here and see you around!!

P.S. Are you going to CanJam?

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #11,669 of 15,335
Hi there m8, fellow sinkie here as well. Welcome onboard the Zirconium hype train. I have yet to board it but I know its a train that I wanna be on haha.

Since you mentioned that you are using a macbook pro 2021, I came across this Ikko DAC/AMP on carousell that is quite suitable for your use case plus you can use the 4.4MM cable that came with your Z1R: https://www.carousell.sg/p/ikko-mul...er_request_id=B1zwP_kSZ0Dsvkl4&t-tap_index=12

Thanks for posting here and see you around!!

P.S. Are you going to CanJam?
If you got the chance to get it, do it! If you're hesitating due to price... :

"Better to regret buying than regret not buying" - HTML🤣

Thanks for inputting that dac/amp combo, looks good! Unfortunately I won't be attending the CanJam this year!

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #11,670 of 15,335
If you got the chance to get it, do it! If you're hesitating due to price... :

"Better to regret buying than regret not buying" - HTML🤣

Thanks for inputting that dac/amp combo, looks good! Unfortunately I won't be attending the CanJam this year!
I am not hesitating due to the price haha, I'm just looking for the best price I can get it at haha. After all, I already own its best friend, the gold walkman.:smirk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back