SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 23, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #11,686 of 15,430
This is the weirdest thing I ever heard, it is not possible to take out drivers from IEM without breaking the shell. For Z1R, the shell is zirconium alloy, you can't break it without some serious damage. Even Sony won't do the repair if drivers failed. I guess the store clerk just don't want to let you demo the IEM but the excuse is so lame.
yea i think so, maybe it think it was a second hnd unit. But I was glad that I got to try 7Hz Timelss, Tia Trio and Monarch MKII there

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #11,688 of 15,430
Ah I need to buy some triple comforts. Do you have the link? Thanks
No, they don't work somehow for me, I used to think they were "OK", but not now? Also they are foam which gets nasty quick.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #11,689 of 15,430
Mar 23, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #11,691 of 15,430
Can do firm they do get nasty quick, have to take extra care of them after each use
Back in the day I used to completely wash them with disinfectant. Lol

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #11,692 of 15,430
Ooh, new favourite Z1R tip. Just replaced Spiral Dot for me. Slightly more vocal focus, tighter bass with same great rumble, smooth midrange and treble, and just as comfy. I like.

The Spiral Dots were my tip choice for years and went well with my previous Sony iems (A3/Z5/N3) but I didn't like with my Z1R so I use the stock ones, seems like the wide bore makes the higher end a bit too much.
When I was going to Japan every year I had an abundant choice of tips at the best pricing, and e earphone had a huge range to demo and compare.
Tips are like tyres, a small detail but very important as they are your only point of contact. I'd like to try some others but the pricing with shipping makes it too expensive so currently stick with stock.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #11,693 of 15,430
I still clean my eartips with disinfectant. The skin inside the ear is very delicate. Any infection basically means no IEMs for 2 weeks. I highly recommend everyone do that as well.

As for Sony hybrids, my concern is the smaller nozzle shrinking the soundstage and many sellers sell the fake one. May I ask, @gLer, has the soundstage changed?

Mar 25, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #11,694 of 15,430
I still clean my eartips with disinfectant. The skin inside the ear is very delicate. Any infection basically means no IEMs for 2 weeks. I highly recommend everyone do that as well.

As for Sony hybrids, my concern is the smaller nozzle shrinking the soundstage and many sellers sell the fake one. May I ask, @gLer, has the soundstage changed?
It's early days but no, I don't feel the stage has shrunk. If anything, compared to the Spiral Dots, with vocals being more focused/less diffuse, I hear more depth and nuance around the vocals. It's all very subtle of course. What impresses me most about the Sony tips is how comfrtable they are. Almost on par with the Spiral Dots, which are by far the most comfortable tips I've used. I also think treble quality has gone up a notch with the Sony tips, probably because the fit is slightly deeper.

Mar 25, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #11,695 of 15,430
It's early days but no, I don't feel the stage has shrunk. If anything, compared to the Spiral Dots, with vocals being more focused/less diffuse, I hear more depth and nuance around the vocals. It's all very subtle of course. What impresses me most about the Sony tips is how comfrtable they are. Almost on par with the Spiral Dots, which are by far the most comfortable tips I've used. I also think treble quality has gone up a notch with the Sony tips, probably because the fit is slightly deeper.
Wow, thats actually very good to hear. Almost all my tracks have vocals so that will be excellent. I am thinking of what 3rd party tips to buy when I get my Z1R. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would like to buy the Azla Crystal but I also know of a seller in Singapore that sells the Sony tips that you have.

Perhaps is time to ironically, Sony aftermarket tips for a Sony IEM?

Mar 25, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #11,696 of 15,430
Having pulled the trigger today on Z1R, time to join this thread... fingers crossed they fit!

Mar 25, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #11,697 of 15,430
Mar 25, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #11,698 of 15,430
Having pulled the trigger today on Z1R, time to join this thread... fingers crossed they fit!
Welcome to the Promised Land. If EXT fits you, I don't see any issues with Z1R, but you never know. Just be sure to have a selection of tips available.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #11,699 of 15,430
Don't worry, they will probably fit. You'll probably be quiet around here for 30 days after .......................just trying to get up off the floor due to sound shock.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #11,700 of 15,430

There are fake Hybrid tips, also DUNU makes twin styles. They look almost like the Hybrid Tips and ever have the color center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back