SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 31, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #11,282 of 15,290
The Z1R require much more power than average IEMs.

Dec 31, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #11,283 of 15,290
Mine finally arrived yesterday, what volume are you folks using on the WM1Z for this? - I find I have to toggle high gain mode.. just wondering what is a safe volume for long term listening.
I run mine from the 1Z at 70 low gain

Dec 31, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #11,284 of 15,290
Just curious, I have a campfire audio solaris 2020. I really like the detailed and more forward mids of the solaris. How do the Z1R's compare? I heard that they were slightly v-shaped. Thanks!

Dec 31, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #11,286 of 15,290
Just curious, I have a campfire audio solaris 2020. I really like the detailed and more forward mids of the solaris. How do the Z1R's compare? I heard that they were slightly v-shaped. Thanks!

I'll post a more detailed impression in the Solaris thread, but for now the OG Solaris do sound a lot more balanced as an IEM, in that their representation of music covers a lot more of the sound spectrum in a very clear way. Thus far on the Z1R the mids and treble are a lot more recessed, but the bass is on par with my home HIFI speaker system. Which is impressive since my LCD-X and Solaris create an impression of this low end, but the Z1R actually delivers it in a really sumptuous and beautiful way.

I do miss the other details I get from the Solaris, so this won't replace my Solaris at all. However bear in mind there is maybe 2hrs of use. I think for DD IEMs you need a lot more burn in, so my impressions should be tempered with the understanding that I need maybe a bit more time to get a better impression.

Dec 31, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #11,287 of 15,290
Honesty, when I had the Solaris SE and Z1R they were very different IEM's with different aims IMO. The Solaris SE prioritises balance and no part of the FR response is exaggerated. It looks to make a holographic stage with a very balanced sound. The Z1R is a lot more energetic and v-shaped in comparison but its bass and treble is very impressive. The mids sound a bit more recessed compared to the Solaris.

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #11,288 of 15,290
I'll post a more detailed impression in the Solaris thread, but for now the OG Solaris do sound a lot more balanced as an IEM, in that their representation of music covers a lot more of the sound spectrum in a very clear way. Thus far on the Z1R the mids and treble are a lot more recessed, but the bass is on par with my home HIFI speaker system. Which is impressive since my LCD-X and Solaris create an impression of this low end, but the Z1R actually delivers it in a really sumptuous and beautiful way.

I do miss the other details I get from the Solaris, so this won't replace my Solaris at all. However bear in mind there is maybe 2hrs of use. I think for DD IEMs you need a lot more burn in, so my impressions should be tempered with the understanding that I need maybe a bit more time to get a better impression.
What are you using as a source? I jumped from 6 months of mojo to hugo2 and along with burn-in I found the added power, clarity and neutrality helped get the highs and mids more balanced with the great powerful bass as you said

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #11,289 of 15,290
What are you using as a source? I jumped from 6 months of mojo to hugo2 and along with burn-in I found the added power, clarity and neutrality helped get the highs and mids more balanced with the great powerful bass as you said
Also a fan of the Hugo2 + z1r pairing. Compared Solarisgold with z1r a few times and Imho Solaris is steroid sound on highs with linear bass and imaging and depth not even close to z1r.SE is better tuning than gold imho.

Jan 1, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #11,291 of 15,290
I hear this alot, but I don't really understand where it comes from? The sensitivity has been independently verified by multiple reviews. How much power do you have in mind?
People are referring to damping factors which optimize the bass. It has nothing to do with volume, but more control over the driver. At a point even desktop power can unlock potential driver control of the IER-Z1R. Of course you can drive them with a phone, though it leaves a little out.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #11,292 of 15,290
I hear this alot, but I don't really understand where it comes from? The sensitivity has been independently verified by multiple reviews. How much power do you have in mind?
I switch to medium or high gain on the DX300, while I'm at 30-40 low gain with most other IEMs.

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #11,293 of 15,290
WM1Z - I found the WM1Z smoother than the Hugo2 for the Solaris, perhaps it might be worth re-visiting for the ier

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #11,294 of 15,290
Finally joined the club 😎
Happy New Year, Sonyfans!

2022_01 copy.jpg

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #11,295 of 15,290
Ok..

So I have made a rather startling discovery. I had a thought.. what if I try some of my other cables on this.. I haven't really found much luck in getting significant sound improvements from prior experiments with other IEMs, so through my trials and errors I have a few spare MMCX / Balanced cables lying around.

In my efforts to see what I could do to better the stock cables, I connected the ALO audio reference 8, and I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing. Lorde Royals - the starting part has these rather obvious hi-hats, and the decay on those hi-hats recessed very quickly on the standard cables. On the reference 8 they not only has significant bite but a lovely crisp presence that lingered. There wasn't much change in the low-end, bar the resonance of Billie Eilish's Oxytocin - this track had roomier resonance through the R8.

Guys if you were on the fence about trying out different cables let me assure you there is indeed a difference. Perhaps the Kimber cables released by Sony were always the default path they wanted people to take, as the standard cables are rather bad in hamstringing the true value of these IEMs.

The one thing which prevented me from falling in love with these IEMs has now been taken away.. The resolution of the high-end is far more resolving than the Solaris OG, however for now I still agree with others comments that the Solaris is more balanced.

If you want me to quantify a percentage difference in how much better the R8 sounds versus standard cables, I am going to risk it and say its a significant % (Perhaps 55-60%) increase on overall sound quality that modify the presentation of these IEMs completely. I did get the R8s second hand. This is the part of the hobby I love, locked away for for a few years these cables sat there unused and unloved and now they will serve the mighty Z1Rs :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back