SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 6, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #10,891 of 15,280
Oct 6, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #10,892 of 15,280
Does anyone know why the prices of the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R dropped so low?

At e-earphone (certified sony reseller) you can get them (including shipping and taxes) for less than 1500€ new (around 1480€).

Thats quite a big price drop and its since a few weeks. Are they going to be replaced soon?

But if they would be replaced soon, i'd assume they would sell until out of stock. But they are in pre-order right now due to high demand.

https://www.e-earphone.jp/products/detail/17842/2069/
https://www.e-earphone.jp/products/detail/17166/2069/

//EDIT: Even the IER-M9 sells for around 1050€, but they are not on sale (that is marked separately), this seems to be the price they sell for from now on...

But on the Sony Shop Japan, they still cost the MSRP (pretty much)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #10,893 of 15,280
I also want to confirm how wonderful the Z1R sounds with the Azla Crystal tips. I never thought this iem would sound this good with a wide bore tip. In addition, they are really comfortable.

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #10,895 of 15,280
I also want to confirm how wonderful the Z1R sounds with the Azla Crystal tips. I never thought this iem would sound this good with a wide bore tip. In addition, they are really comfortable.
Essentially a no bore tip as the front of the tip is just about flush with the front of the iem tube

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #10,896 of 15,280
Using Crystals with my Z1R and agree they are very comfortable and sound great
same tip size as usual or go lower/bigger than what you usually use?

Oct 6, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #10,898 of 15,280
same tip size as usual or go lower/bigger than what you usually use?
I went with L and that gives me perfect seal and max deep insertion.

PS: I’ve just noticed that it is the TWS version I’ve bought hence why I got essentially zero bore

FA21418D-E12E-4E4F-A6F6-4A9E0F7CF99B.jpeg
1D9A9059-ED58-4D4F-8507-F31CD057A856.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #10,899 of 15,280
Hey all,

Got an early bonus and debating z1r or mest mkii. Listen mostly to heavy music, and Z5 was a favorite of mine. Anyone have both? I'm a bit of an audiophile bass head. Love clarity but I want it to hit hard, big sound stage. Previously had Clairvoyance. Sold it in part because I thought my Shure Aonic 50 sounded better at half the cost... kind of wondering if that will be the same hear. Also wondering about seal between Z1r and Mest. Definitely don't want to hear outside world, and wondering what's easier to drive. I have an m11, and going to pick up a hipdac 2 and ifi blu go.

Thanks!

Oct 6, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #10,900 of 15,280
Hey all,

Got an early bonus and debating z1r or mest mkii. Listen mostly to heavy music, and Z5 was a favorite of mine. Anyone have both? I'm a bit of an audiophile bass head. Love clarity but I want it to hit hard, big sound stage. Previously had Clairvoyance. Sold it in part because I thought my Shure Aonic 50 sounded better at half the cost... kind of wondering if that will be the same hear. Also wondering about seal between Z1r and Mest. Definitely don't want to hear outside world, and wondering what's easier to drive. I have an m11, and going to pick up a hipdac 2 and ifi blu go.

Thanks!
MEST will be easier to drive, have a “fun” sound that you may or may not get tired of.

The Z1R on the other hand needs power to open up the sound. My experience has been that it handles all music that I throw at it, but in some cases the mids are a little pushed back.

One thing that helped me decide: is the MEST or the Z1R in the most top 10 lists?

Oct 6, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #10,901 of 15,280
MEST will be easier to drive, have a “fun” sound that you may or may not get tired of.

The Z1R on the other hand needs power to open up the sound. My experience has been that it handles all music that I throw at it, but in some cases the mids are a little pushed back.

One thing that helped me decide: is the MEST or the Z1R in the most top 10 lists?
Well, looks like you got the z1r. So I assume you're happy with it? If not, feel free to sell it to me! Haha

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #10,902 of 15,280
Does anyone know why the prices of the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R dropped so low?

At e-earphone (certified sony reseller) you can get them (including shipping and taxes) for less than 1500€ new (around 1480€).

Thats quite a big price drop and its since a few weeks. Are they going to be replaced soon?

But if they would be replaced soon, i'd assume they would sell until out of stock. But they are in pre-order right now due to high demand.

https://www.e-earphone.jp/products/detail/17842/2069/
https://www.e-earphone.jp/products/detail/17166/2069/

//EDIT: Even the IER-M9 sells for around 1050€, but they are not on sale (that is marked separately), this seems to be the price they sell for from now on...

But on the Sony Shop Japan, they still cost the MSRP (pretty much)
The price drops have been around for a while now actually. I think Sony usually does this with most of their products once R&D costs have been “paid-back”. It doesn’t necessarily mean a new one is coming soon, but I am hopeful we’d see a new one sometime next year. Or at least on the TOTL Walkmans. The WM1 series updates has been long overdue.

As for the IER line, I just don’t think there’s gonna be anything coming out this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back