SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 22, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #10,756 of 15,280
Back in the room. 3rd set of Z1R now.

I've got to somehow find a solution to my right ear discomfort with the Z1R. I can't live without this sound.

The Thummim is so close but the Z1R sub-bass is a different level. Can someone put the Z1R internals into the Thummim enclosure? Please? Pretty please. I have two Kidneys and two good lungs to offer.

Aug 22, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #10,757 of 15,280
Back in the room. 3rd set of Z1R now.

I've got to somehow find a solution to my right ear discomfort with the Z1R. I can't live without this sound.

The Thummim is so close but the Z1R sub-bass is a different level. Can someone put the Z1R internals into the Thummim enclosure? Please? Pretty please. I have two Kidneys and two good lungs to offer.
So what is it about the fit that affects the right ear?

If this is your 3rd pair of Z1R, I guess you've probably already tried every tip available, but I've found Final E's to be excellent with Z1R. Inserts deep, stays snug, and the softer silicon is pretty comfy. I've more recently got some SpiralDots which are ok so far, but haven't tried them for more than an hour or so at a time...

Aug 23, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #10,758 of 15,280
IER-Z1R with the new tricomfort WF-1000XM4 foamy ear tips. Game over

Over the stock tricomfort: 3x passive noise cancellation, 2x clarity, 5x the fit, 10x the staying power inside your ear. No more discomfort or fidgeting. Not annoying or pressurized as if you’re underwater like the comply.

You’re welcome

I have tried that one, not bad for a foamie and quite a bit better than the stock foamie, but still cannot touch the stock silicon in respect of sound clarity. Extremely comfy and easy to fit though, but the costs is quite ridiculous.

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #10,759 of 15,280
Ob the walkman blogspit are only news for wireless models.
Seems like sony is trying to give bluetooth iem and HP a strong focus

i like my IER- z1R and M7 they sound great and ired

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #10,760 of 15,280
I have tried that one, not bad for a foamie and quite a bit better than the stock foamie, but still cannot touch the stock silicon in respect of sound clarity. Extremely comfy and easy to fit though, but the costs is quite ridiculous.
You know that you’re right regarding clarity. These foams also warm the sound, which may not be for everyone, but is great for the Jazz and blues I listen to. Most importantly for me however, who works in semi-noisy environments, the foams block much more sound than the rubber/silicone hybrids.

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #10,761 of 15,280
I have a feeling this has been asked multiple times in this thread, but I couldn't find a direct comparison. For those who have owned/heard/compared the MEST MkII to the Z1R, which one would you choose over the other? I'm pretty convinced I'm going to sell my HD800S (and possibly HD660S too) since I hardly have used them and get back into higher end IEMs.

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #10,762 of 15,280
I have a feeling this has been asked multiple times in this thread, but I couldn't find a direct comparison. For those who have owned/heard/compared the MEST MkII to the Z1R, which one would you choose over the other? I'm pretty convinced I'm going to sell my HD800S (and possibly HD660S too) since I hardly have used them and get back into higher end IEMs.
Do you have to choose one or the other? :ksc75smile:

I'd be keen to understand this comparison as well. I love my Z1R but I'm also keen to get some EST in my collection...

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #10,763 of 15,280
Do you have to choose one or the other? :ksc75smile:

I'd be keen to understand this comparison as well. I love my Z1R but I'm also keen to get some EST in my collection...
I don’t have to choose just one, but I’m trying to thin out my collection since I don’t use all my equipment. I’m leaning toward the Z1R because I see it a lot more in people’s top 10 than either MEST.

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #10,764 of 15,280
I prefer Z1R but MEST Mk2 is very good too. I’d say MEST has better detail retrieval, imaging precision, and a deeper stage. But Z1R’s bass and treble sound more satisfying and realistic. I also prefer the overall tuning on Z1R. Bass on MEST is kinda disappointing to me. It sounds a little too pillowy and lacking note-weight density.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #10,765 of 15,280
You know that you’re right regarding clarity. These foams also warm the sound, which may not be for everyone, but is great for the Jazz and blues I listen to. Most importantly for me however, who works in semi-noisy environments, the foams block much more sound than the rubber/silicone hybrids.

True that, it may well be one of the most isolating foamies out there that's also comfy at the same time. I'm just genuinely surprised when I learned about its price........well I did got myself a pair to try out but as good as it is I still can't say I'm totally convinced about the price haha.

Please report back about its longevity - if it can last for a good long while then perhaps there's more worth in it than I've thought.

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #10,766 of 15,280

Over the stock tricomfort: 3x passive noise cancellation, 2x clarity, 5x the fit, 10x the staying power inside your ear. No more discomfort or fidgeting. Not annoying or pressurized as if you’re underwater like the comply.

You’re welcome
True this. But where can you find it without having to buy the XM4?

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #10,767 of 15,280
Aug 25, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #10,768 of 15,280

You’re welcome

Thanks. How do the sizes carry over from the Z1R? For instance, I am using size S foamies that come bundled with Z1R. What should I look at with picking from the WF-XM4 tips?

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #10,769 of 15,280
I have the opportunity to sell my HD800S and buy brand new IER Z1R. Worth the change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back