SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 29, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #10,591 of 15,265
Nope, very different sound profiles. Just couldn't bring myself to like the MDR but the IER is a staple of my collection.
I wouldn’t call them very different sound profiles, to me they clearly share the general Sony house sound, but yes, they are not identical and if I could only have one I would keep the IER

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #10,592 of 15,265
Yup, it's unmistakably Sony and believe me as a lifelong Sony fanboy it was hard parting with it.

I just couldn't bring myself to like it, the IER clearly seemed superior.

Mind you, I have been spoiled by other closed backs just as good so my frame of reference is probably skewed.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #10,593 of 15,265
I did give it a try months ago. I might be the minority here, but I don't think it can beat the iem version.
I don't mind IER midrange, but MDR was a tad odd. Also, that treble is just not as smooth. These are from my brief experience demoing it for like 15 mins.
It's not a bad headphone for sure, but I didn't get the initial "woaa" like when I first heard IER-Z1R.

Nope, very different sound profiles. Just couldn't bring myself to like the MDR but the IER is a staple of my collection.
Any rec?

Apparently the Pioneer SE-Master 1 resembles IER-Z1R’s tonality. Haven’t heard it myself though.
Thanks. Hopefully, they have that at the local shop. I don't think I can find a different blind-buy-safe aside from IER-Z1R.

Jun 29, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #10,594 of 15,265
I did give it a try months ago. I might be the minority here, but I don't think it can beat the iem version.
I don't mind IER midrange, but MDR was a tad odd. Also, that treble is just not as smooth. These are from my brief experience demoing it for like 15 mins.
It's not a bad headphone for sure, but I didn't get the initial "woaa" like when I first heard IER-Z1R.

Any rec?

Thanks. Hopefully, they have that at the local shop. I don't think I can find a different blind-buy-safe aside from IER-Z1R.

Possibly the Cascade with filters removed. The B&W P9 is too bassy but surprisingly good.

If you wanna go on a tangent, the HD820 or the Nightowl.

Jun 29, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #10,595 of 15,265

Any rec?

You may be keying into how the IER-Z1R does bass? There will always be that separation that the IER puts the bass more inside your head, also added bass physicality? The midrange is more noticeable with the IER-Z1R than the MDR.....in so many ways it’s a concept that is not comparable? Though there are some aspects of full size headphones that never get recreated by IEMs. I’m with you as far as entertainment value of the IER-Z1R. And.....yes, the treble is better perfected with the IER-Z1R, IMO

Maybe another full-size to try would be the original MDR-Z7? The Z7 bass is more focused, less defuse than the MDR-Z1R. But keep in mind for the Z7 to perform, it seems actually to be even more source/amp/cable dependent than the MDR. Meaning to bypass the foggy-ness and achieve desirable performance it may be even more critical (on upstream quality) than the MDR-Z1R? But in the end the Z7 Mark 1 is a more brutal and less finessed rendition of the Sony house sound. Everything is more simple and stripped-down getting you closer to a slightly smaller world than the MDR-Z1R, yet that world could in a way be closer to what the IER-Z1R does? If the Z7 works, it just depends if you accept the playback as natural and acceptable? If you can do that, you may be gifted with a IER-Z1R playback in a full-size headphone?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #10,596 of 15,265
You may be keying into how the IER-Z1R does bass? There will always be that separation that the IER puts the bass more inside your head, also added bass physicality? The midrange is more noticeable with the IER-Z1R than the MDR.....in so many ways it’s a concept that is not comparable? Though there are some aspects of full size headphones that never get recreated by IEMs. I’m with you as far as entertainment value of the IER-Z1R. And.....yes, the treble is better perfected with the IER-Z1R, IMO

Maybe another full-size to try would be the original MDR-Z7? The Z7 bass is more focused, less defuse than the MDR-Z1R. But keep in mind for the Z7 to perform, it seems actually to be even more source/amp/cable dependent than the MDR. Meaning to bypass the foggy-ness and achieve desirable performance it may be even more critical (on upstream quality) than the MDR-Z1R? But in the end the Z7 Mark 1 is a more brutal and less finessed rendition of the Sony house sound. Everything is more simple and stripped-down getting you closer to a slightly smaller world than the MDR-Z1R, yet that world could in a way be closer to what the IER-Z1R does? If the Z7 works, it just depends if you accept the playback as natural and acceptable? If you can do that, you may be gifted with a IER-Z1R playback in a full-size headphone?
Thank you for the recommendation. I called and the local shop does have the Z7 for demo. Should be able to stop by on Friday :)
I probably revisit the MDR, just to see if my initial impression was correct.

Possibly the Cascade with filters removed. The B&W P9 is too bassy but surprisingly good.

If you wanna go on a tangent, the HD820 or the Nightowl.
IDK....I got to try the HD820 from a friend. Not my cup of tea. And I can't find the Nightowl anywhere to try...

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #10,597 of 15,265

Any rec?

I favour my IER-Z1R over my MDR-Z1R, nothing against the MDR.
Maybe it has to do with single dynamic vs the IER-Z1R's hybrid driver configuration?
I love good bass and have mostly owned Sony iems which are generally V shaped and can be overall a tad bass focused. The IER-Z1R goes really deep and low for sub-bass when needed, presents a nice punchy kick drum and gives stringed bass instruments a nice texture without making it all sound bass heavy. The soundstage is something I didn't expect to enjoy more than the MDR.

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #10,598 of 15,265
I don't have much experience with full-size headphones, but is there an equivalent version to IER-Z1R?
Some headphone recommendations purely based off what I've owned for extended periods of time that will mesh with you if you like IER-Z1R.

Fostex TH-900 - More V shape than the Z1R slightly (bit brighter in mid treble but less in low treble).

HiFiMAN HE6 (original) - An overall better Z1R, especially in its amazing bass, but a bit more jagged in the treble.

Denon D7200 - A lot like the TH900 but more smooth sounding. Better mids than TH900 and Z1R, but slightly softer highs.

Final D8000 Pro - Very similar in its incredible speed and foot tapping factor, great dynamics, tastefully edgy treble. But less bass presence/ weight.

Focal Stellia - Sound much smoother up top, but has a great bottom end and mids are better than Z1R. Not as exciting and aggressive however.

If ever you're curious of TH900 special edition, I need to part ways with my Pearl White version.

Cheers,

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 30, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #10,599 of 15,265
Some headphone recommendations purely based off what I've owned for extended periods of time that will mesh with you if you like IER-Z1R.

Fostex TH-900 - More V shape than the Z1R slightly (bit brighter in mid treble but less in low treble).

HiFiMAN HE6 (original) - An overall better Z1R, especially in its amazing bass, but a bit more jagged in the treble.

Denon D7200 - A lot like the TH900 but more smooth sounding. Better mids than TH900 and Z1R, but slightly softer highs.

Final D8000 Pro - Very similar in its incredible speed and foot tapping factor, great dynamics, tastefully edgy treble. But less bass presence/ weight.

Focal Stellia - Sound much smoother up top, but has a great bottom end and mids are better than Z1R. Not as exciting and aggressive however.

If ever you're curious of TH900 special edition, I need to part ways with my Pearl White version.

Cheers,
One day I’m hoping to hear the D8k Pro

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #10,600 of 15,265
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #10,601 of 15,265
If you come to Montreal, it can be arranged!

@Vitaly2017 Was impressed by your Final x Dita Kangen - I've been curious about those myself!
I definitely have to go there now!!! Lol

And yeah, he liked it so much that he traded the Fourté for it 😂

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #10,602 of 15,265
I definitely have to go there now!!! Lol

And yeah, he liked it so much that he traded the Fourté for it 😂
Oh no way, you guys did it huh.

I'll have to compare to Z1R! Enjoy the Fourte, I know I was 2 weeks ago when he let me try!
3CC36B27-725E-4D2B-B7E8-D90241A2EE59.jpeg

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #10,603 of 15,265
Oh no way, you guys did it huh.

I'll have to compare to Z1R! Enjoy the Fourte, I know I was 2 weeks ago when he let me try!
3CC36B27-725E-4D2B-B7E8-D90241A2EE59.jpeg
LMAO Yeah, we actually did.

The Fourte is in @KuroKitsu 's hands now haha

We all had crazy trades happened.

I have still yet to find something to fully take me away from the Z1R though.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #10,604 of 15,265
Jul 9, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #10,605 of 15,265
Hi guys, I got my pair about two weeks ago. So happy with them, but have a couple of questions here.
1) Using them with WM1A + orilolus ba300s, the combo is amazing, but I can't use it as a portable solution, a sandwich from amp+dap is so uncomfortable. S0 I think about selling/changing it to the LPGT or with Cayin n6 mk2 with r01. Maybe anyone here who has/had this dap and could compare it with sony dap.
2) I've seen plenty of good words about stock cable but am just interested in how it could sound with others, for now, I've found 3 options: BriseAudio Asuha, PW Loki, Norne Audio Silvergarde sx. Or would like to hear about different products.
3) I've different ear tips(Azla Xelastec and Kotori, Mandarine, Foam, Acoustune) but stopped with my favorite Spiral Dot ++ 10. Should I try something else except FInal E? I've heard good reviews also on Monster tips with Gel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back