SONY IER-Z1R
May 6, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #10,411 of 15,276
The pros at Moon Audio said, and I quote, “there’s no way we can remove that piece without damaging the IEM”
Others who have had the problem have removed the stock ring

May 6, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #10,412 of 15,276
The pros at Moon Audio said, and I quote, “there’s no way we can remove that piece without damaging the IEM”

Others who have had the problem have removed the stock ring

I think at this moment in time @torifile you are going to probably have to risk some DIY. Not ideal, but I doubt you're going to get a satisfactory resolution.

May 6, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #10,413 of 15,276
I think at this moment in time @torifile you are going to probably have to risk some DIY. Not ideal, but I doubt you're going to get a satisfactory resolution.
Probably. And I’m pretty good at things like this. But, man, it stings to be in this situation. I need to also find a good solution for a 3.5mm cable, preferably one that has about a cable diameter of 3mm to fit in the custom 3D printed carrying case I made specifically for them. Small problems, I know. :wink:

May 7, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #10,415 of 15,276
The difference between Sony and other iem makers with commonly acknowledged good aftersale service is that, most of these iem makers are boutique businesses who has to maintain their fame by doing what they are supposed to do, with extras and value-added stuff. Sony on the other hand is a huge corporation, and even though their portable audio department work more like a boutique department now with named dedicated individuals developing products for enthusiasts instead of the mass public, huge corporations have their own ways (and limitations) of doing things.

It has been a trend amongst boutique makers that if you turn in a defective product, they simply swap it for a new unit (or part) with few questions asked. That, besides a clear indication of excellent service to be loved, also bears costs considerations. Brands like Sony usually REALLY repairs things as the word "repair" suggest, or else they quote you repair fees close to or over the price of getting a fresh unit to give you the idea. Anything to do with the cable is basically outside scope of the warranty, no matter how hard you try convincing them. I believe that is common among brands of Sony's stature.

That said, my recent experience with Sony aftersales has been nothing short of exemplary. The connection of the MMCX female connector on my Justear became intermittent (extremely common for any MMCX connectors from any brands), and I turned it in for repairs out of warranty. Needless to say it won't go free of charge (which is normal or else what's the warranty for) but then, besides repairing the MMCX connectors they checked and discovered the soft silicon part of the iem was cracking and they offered on their own initiative to change it to the hard acrylic which they have just been switching to. And the costs of MMCX plus acrylic part were actually less than what I had been quoted in the first place.

P.S. I'm still in awe of the superior quality of the Z1R stock cable, excels on SQ, fit, apparent built quality, aesthetics, suppleness etc. My S/N is 1049X, if that matters.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #10,416 of 15,276
The difference between Sony and other iem makers with commonly acknowledged good aftersale service is that, most of these iem makers are boutique businesses who has to maintain their fame by doing what they are supposed to do, with extras and value-added stuff. Sony on the other hand is a huge corporation, and even though their portable audio department work more like a boutique department now with named dedicated individuals developing products for enthusiasts instead of the mass public, huge corporations have their own ways (and limitations) of doing things.

It has been a trend amongst boutique makers that if you turn in a defective product, they simply swap it for a new unit (or part) with few questions asked. That, besides a clear indication of excellent service to be loved, also bears costs considerations. Brands like Sony usually REALLY repairs things as the word "repair" suggest, or else they quote you repair fees close to or over the price of getting a fresh unit to give you the idea. Anything to do with the cable is basically outside scope of the warranty, no matter how hard you try convincing them. I believe that is common among brands of Sony's stature.

That said, my recent experience with Sony aftersales has been nothing short of exemplary. The connection of the MMCX female connector on my Justear became intermittent (extremely common for any MMCX connectors from any brands), and I turned it in for repairs out of warranty. Needless to say it won't go free of charge (which is normal or else what's the warranty for) but then, besides repairing the MMCX connectors they checked and discovered the soft silicon part of the iem was cracking and they offered on their own initiative to change it to the hard acrylic which they have just been switching to. And the costs of MMCX plus acrylic part were actually less than what I had been quoted in the first place.

P.S. I'm still in awe of the superior quality of the Z1R stock cable, excels on SQ, fit, apparent built quality, aesthetics, suppleness etc. My S/N is 1049X, if that matters.

Hey I actually got Z1R cable warranty replaced within 3 working days here in Spain. the shroud on one of the connectors fell off! I have EU 1 year warranty as I got it from Sony UK just in December. I dropped the IEMs into the local service center so was pretty effortless

May 7, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #10,417 of 15,276
Hey I actually got Z1R cable warranty replaced within 3 working days here in Spain. the shroud on one of the connectors fell off! I have EU 1 year warranty as I got it from Sony UK just in December. I dropped the IEMs into the local service center so was pretty effortless

Great to hear!

May 7, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #10,419 of 15,276
out of interest the invoiced cost for the replacement cable (single ended) was around 240 euros. Not sure if that is retail cost or internal cost within Sony though
And the balanced costs more than 500€

May 7, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #10,420 of 15,276
This is the issue for mine - the shroud came off. Only it’s lodged in the IEM making it usable only with the now shroudless cable.

May 8, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #10,421 of 15,276
I’ve been listening to these every day for at least an hour or 2 since I got them. I’m never disappointed.

From the funky beats and deep bass on Beck’s Midnight Vultures to the bright strings in Sufjan Stevens’ Carrie & Lowell, they just do it right. (All music played through my WM1A with Midnight Plus in FLAC 44/16. Unfortunately, with the single-ended rather than balanced cable because, well…)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back