SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #10,085 of 15,432
Anyone got any rec for portable DAP to pair with Z1R beside Sony own line?
I'm looking at Shanling M3X at the moment.
I have the W2 on order to pair up with my smartphone - I was searching for the same and couldn't find anything suitable.

Apr 5, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #10,090 of 15,432
Anyone pair hiby r6 2020 with z1r? I wonder will it match?

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #10,091 of 15,432
SONY IER-Z1R - First Impressions
I read a ton about these before taking the plunge. Among the things that gave me pause were that 1) the fit was "atrocious" 2) they're heavy, 3) poor sound isolation, and 4) male vocals were subpar. Among the good qualities were impressive detail, technicals, tuning, great bass response and speed, and expansive soundstage.

The only decent IEMs I've used are the Beyerdynamic Xelento. Great IEMs, super comfortable, and I didn't think anything could beat the Lotoo PAW S1/Xelento combination sound. After about 15 seconds of listening to the Z1Rs through the PAW S1 I see that I've been living in a fools paradise. The Z1R has exceeded my high expectations in every respect. As far as the reported negatives are concerned, they fit me better than the Xelentos, and they stay in the optimum position whether I'm standing, reclining, or working out. Heavy? Maybe compared to other IEMs but I barely notice I'm wearing them. Excellent sound isolation with the included Sony silicon tips. As far as male vocals are concerned, I understand this criticism the least. I've spent several hours listening to Lou Reed, Tom Waits, The Beatles, Elton John, Jethro Tull, Rolling Stones, Jonathan Richman, Bowie, Talking Heads... they seem fine to me. Maybe I don't have golden ears(?)

I had a lot of reservations about laying down the $$$ for these, but I have zero regrets - they have exceeded my expectations in every way. A pair of Beyerdynamic Xelento remotes in excellent condition will be available soon in the classifieds.

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #10,092 of 15,432
I read a ton about these before taking the plunge. Among the things that gave me pause were that 1) the fit was "atrocious" 2) they're heavy, 3) poor sound isolation, and 4) male vocals were subpar. Among the good qualities were impressive detail, technicals, tuning, great bass response and speed, and expansive soundstage.

The only decent IEMs I've used are the Beyerdynamic Xelento. Great IEMs, super comfortable, and I didn't think anything could beat the Lotoo PAW S1/Xelento combination sound. After about 15 seconds of listening to the Z1Rs through the PAW S1 I see that I've been living in a fools paradise. The Z1R has exceeded my high expectations in every respect. As far as the reported negatives are concerned, they fit me better than the Xelentos, and they stay in the optimum position whether I'm standing, reclining, or working out. Heavy? Maybe compared to other IEMs but I barely notice I'm wearing them. Excellent sound isolation with the included Sony silicon tips. As far as male vocals are concerned, I understand this criticism the least. I've spent several hours listening to Lou Reed, Tom Waits, The Beatles, Elton John, Jethro Tull, Rolling Stones, Jonathan Richman, Bowie, Talking Heads... they seem fine to me. Maybe I don't have golden ears(?)

I had a lot of reservations about laying down the $$$ for these, but I have zero regrets - they have exceeded my expectations in every way. A pair of Beyerdynamic Xelento remotes in excellent condition will be available soon in the classifieds.
I see your ears have been deemed worthy also... I find them to fit better than most and I can wear them all day straight without issue. Do yourself a favour and pick up a pair of FAudio Vocal ear tips and you'll be set.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #10,093 of 15,432

Of course! Cheers!

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #10,094 of 15,432
I see your ears have been deemed worthy also... I find them to fit better than most and I can wear them all day straight without issue. Do yourself a favour and pick up a pair of FAudio Vocal ear tips and you'll be set.
+1 Appreciate
+1 Thanks for the recommendation! I don't see how they could sound better but even if there's a slim chance, I'm in!

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #10,095 of 15,432

when you get a chance, try listening to the z1r with a more powerful amp than s1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back