SONY IER-Z1R
May 30, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #7,546 of 15,277
Hm, too early indeed but maybe it helps to describe why I got the Sony. I listen to a variety of music: a lot of classical (chamber music but also symphonic stuff), jazz, prog and death metal, electro and neo classical stuff. So for the electronic music, I found the kse sometimes lacks impact in the bass department. Don't get me wrong, I think the kse has some amazing bass. It reaches super far down and is extremely fast and accurate (as expected because of the technology used). But there is little (if at all) visceral impact. Second, for metal, I did not particularly enjoy the kse because it often sounded a bit "off" . Not sure how to describe this better but I just did not enjoy it very much for the metal stuff. Of course for some of it, the production quality was probably not that great and the kse is 100% unforgiving. For classical and jazz I didn't really miss anything with the kse but I am curious to see how the Sony will perform there as well. So they are very different as already accurately noted by some other people in this thread who have both, so I would say rather complimentary to each other.

May 30, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #7,547 of 15,277
Yea unlike many others who claim large differences between insertion depths and that a deep insertion is the only way to tame the somewhat harsh treble, I have actually found insertion depth for me makes almost no difference in sound on these as far as I can tell (though maybe it just means I'm incapable of getting them deep enough) and I also have never found the treble harsh at all.

Just got a new fiio lc-re cable in and giving it a go now to see if it helps with comfort. The original cable is nice, but those earhooks are too thick and uncomfortable. I did actually buy a replacement so maybe time to cannibalize the first one and try the "mod" that @candlejack did.

Your ear canal shape could be unique and influencing the insertion depth factor. Because the insertion-treble thing is real physics.

I'm planning to get an Dunu style cable with interlocking ends to quickly change it to 4.4/3.5/2.5.

Will report later if it was worth it for convenience.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #7,548 of 15,277
Yea unlike many others who claim large differences between insertion depths and that a deep insertion is the only way to tame the somewhat harsh treble, I have actually found insertion depth for me makes almost no difference in sound on these as far as I can tell (though maybe it just means I'm incapable of getting them deep enough) and I also have never found the treble harsh at all.
@candlejack did.
Yeah, me neither.

May 30, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #7,549 of 15,277
2GoIERZ1R.jpg

The 2Go + Hugo 2 + IER-Z1R is the zenith of my audio journey. The dynamic range, separation, layering, transparency, and realism of this pairing is superb. I can hear now more than ever before the interplay amongst musicians and the flow of energy in my music

Very nice! It looks like you are using Roon there? Do you have the 2Go setup as a Roon endpoint connected via Wifi? Out of interest, how were you connecting the Hugo2 before the addition of the 2Go? I think we have discussed before that the IER/Hugo2 is a winning combination, do you think that the addition of the 2Go makes it even better?

May 30, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #7,551 of 15,277
Your ear canal shape could be unique and influencing the insertion depth factor. Because the insertion-treble thing is real physics.

I'm planning to get an Dunu style cable with interlocking ends to quickly change it to 4.4/3.5/2.5.

Will report later if it was worth it for convenience.
I understand that there are treble resonances that people (and measuring equipment) hear, and that insertion depth can affect it. I was just saying that for me, I just dont hear it that way and insertion depth for me on these really makes almost no difference in how it sounds. With the one exception of using triple flange tips and getting a much deeper insertion, though its hard to actually tell if its changing the sound or just the perceived volume due to the extra isolation.

May 30, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #7,552 of 15,277
Is there anyone that owns both the Z1R and the U12t that would be able to provide some comparisons?
Have you seen MaxSettings' comparative review? It's hard for me to refer to it, since I don't agree with many of his comments. However, most people would take his word over mine. And for good reason. While I listened to the u12t a number of times, I never paid that much attention to it, so I would not be a reliable source for impressions.

May 30, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #7,553 of 15,277
Have you seen MaxSettings' comparative review? It's hard for me to refer to it, since I don't agree with many of his comments. However, most people would take his word over mine. And for good reason. While I listened to the u12t a number of times, I never paid that much attention to it, so I would not be a reliable source for impressions.

I have indeed seen that video but I think we may have different tastes / priorities. I generally like to get as much info as possible though and there doesn't seem to be much out there in terms of reviews that compare the two directly.

Thanks for pointing it out though!

May 30, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #7,554 of 15,277
My current IEM collection (The custom is an A12T) :D
I've had the Z1R for about a week now and I'm really liking them. I was able to find a good fit after only about an hour in the store. I think my next (and hopefully final) purchase will be the M9 to replace my Andromedas but that's for the future. The store I demoed them also had the updated Sony Justears but they still weren't very impressive.

rDS5wIj.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #7,555 of 15,277
I've had the Z1R for about a week now and I'm really liking them. I was able to find a good fit after only about an hour in the store. I think my next (and hopefully final) purchase will be the M9 to replace my Andromedas but that's for the future. The store I demoed them also had the updated Sony Justears but they still weren't very impressive.

rDS5wIj.jpg
How would you rank them if you were to rank them? :)

May 30, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #7,556 of 15,277

rDS5wIj.jpg
Nice clean design on the A12t. Very Apple-like.

May 30, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #7,557 of 15,277
How would you rank them if you were to rank them? :)

1. Z1R == Anole VX
2. IER-M9
3. CF Andromeda
4. A12T

-For me the VX is king of technicalities but its treble is a little 'unnatural'/harsh. The Z1R has much better sub-bass and pretty similar soundstage.
-I don't like the A12T. Maybe I got unlucky but my pair is extremely dark. They don't sound bad but in comparison to the other IEMs they sound muddy and, as a result, lack detail.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #7,558 of 15,277
I don't like the A12T. Maybe I got unlucky but my pair is extremely dark. They don't sound bad but in comparison to the other IEMs they sound muddy and, as a result, lack detail.
This seems to match @aminus's experience with the u12t vs a12t: the custom is noticeably darker. Perhaps they should use different names. The way it stands, it's quite misleading: you demo the universal then buy the custom based on that and surprise, surprise.

May 30, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #7,559 of 15,277
This seems to match @aminus's experience with the u12t vs a12t: the custom is noticeably darker. Perhaps they should use different names. The way it stands, it's quite misleading: you demo the universal then buy the custom based on that and surprise, surprise.
Yeah I've heard other people talk about this as well. When I demoed the U12Ts, they sounded far less dark. The A12Ts are my only regret in this lineup, especially because it's so difficult to sell them.

May 30, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #7,560 of 15,277
VX is on top with the Z1R for me, too. Depends on my mood. Every few days I seem to change my "favourite".

Z1R has great technicalities but as you say, the VX is king of technicalities. The resolution supersedes any other IEM I've heard. The soundstage on VX is slightly narrower but deep af. The Z1R is wider but shallower for me. I must say I'm partial to the depth of the VX soundstage.

The VX has a problematic 7k spike which can make treble harsh for some. This is somewhat alleviated for me by triple flange tips w/deep insertion on VX. We all know Z1R treble is harsh without deep insertion. But with deep insertion it's great.

If it weren't for the bass, the VX would win out easily for me. But the Z1R sub bass is just MMMF. It reaches down deep into the pits of hell and has a slowish decay, but sounds natural. The VX bass is no slouch, but the decay is much faster to the point where it sounds a bit unnatural.

God, give me Z1R bass with VX technicalities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back