Currawong posted his opinions

TLDW:
"Sony did a Fantastic Job"
"Where can i get 2K USD for this? This sound fantastic!"
"A True top grade Flagship"
"I enjoyed listening to these more time than I enjoyed listening to headphones"

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #6,032 of 15,432
The IER-Z1R is a real deal. I heard it in Japan during my visit last July and knew right away that I must have it. A near perfect blend between musicality and technical prowess folks...enough said. Glad that Currawong enjoys his time with the Z1R as well.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #6,033 of 15,432
The IER-Z1R is a real deal. I heard it in Japan during my visit last July and knew right away that I must have it. A near perfect blend between musicality and technical prowess folks...enough said. Glad that Currawong enjoys his time with the Z1R as well.
i also love mine a lot, some times i can abandon the MDR-Z1R. Yesterdaywent back to the MDR, it aounds more brighter, but still love it as i do the IER. Both are great headphones from Sony, maybe i juat need a cable upgrade for the MDR

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #6,035 of 15,432
To my ears trio fits better my desired sound signature.
It also paires nicely with wm1z.
Trio is a more fun tuning then z1r.
It has less treble spike also more forward mids, I love the trio presentation its louder and more prominent vs z1r.
I give an edge to z1r on bass layering and textures plus a bit more details.
But trio offers in exchange a bigger slam and if paired with very highend cable it transforms it into refined graphite analog sound, really addictive.

Also trio is a little more thicker and warmer to.

Z1r is for folks who want noble audiophile tuning for classical, jazz, guitars and all live instruments.
But I find it to bright to my liking with wm1z....

But trio fixed my treble spike annoyance and fills the live with edm music better!

They are bothe very high end iems and extremely capable...

I do find trio tia tubeless high treble extension more appealing !
Again with a proper cable and wm1z oh my goodness!
Z1r effect is like small little needles pinching.
Trio is thicker but also have nice zing and decay....

Did you ever try using a different cable with your Z1Rs?

Relax everyone, it’s just an innocent question.

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #6,036 of 15,432
Did you ever try using a different cable with your Z1Rs?

Relax everyone, it’s just an innocent question.

Haha we have some unsecure minds going on :jecklinsmile:
Are you trying to step into the dark side of the moon :k701smile:

Yes I did with ares II bespoke!
It has less treble peak as the stock cable and also adds a hint of more soundstage and slightly better separation.
Stays as warm and bass didnt seemed to be very affected as the treble was.

Overall yes its an improvement over stock cable. Is there a difference, yes there is. Is it worth for you to upgrade, in my opinion it is significant enough to justify but might be a no no for others. Stock cable is super comfortable vs custom and that wins...

Dec 4, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #6,037 of 15,432
27A02F72-1462-42A2-B50E-9DA406978703.jpeg
Just picked up a TA-ZH1ES and absolutely love how the IERs go with these. Makes the bass even sweeter and fuller.

Dec 4, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #6,038 of 15,432
Just picked up a TA-ZH1ES and absolutely love how the IERs go with these. Makes the bass even sweeter and fuller.
Nice , hope you continue loving for years. Best not go and read on other set ups.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #6,039 of 15,432
Howdy.

Can somebody who owns both the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R tell how they differ and how they're similar?
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere in the 403 pages, but searching returns too many irrelevant posts.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #6,040 of 15,432
Howdy.

Can somebody who owns both the MDR-Z1R and IER-Z1R tell how they differ and how they're similar?
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere in the 403 pages, but searching returns too many irrelevant posts.

Ones a headphone , the other goes inside your ears.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #6,041 of 15,432
Howdy.

Their sound signature are nothing alike because the "Sony house sound" doesn't exists in the Signature line up (as Currawong explained in his review - the lead engineer of the IER-Z1R gets to decide on what HE want, rather than being conforming to a pre-defined Sony way, and that's the same for the MDR-Z1R as its the motto of the Signature Series - the engineer gets to put their signature on the product), the only common thing is they both try to go for a large soundstage in forms that are difficult to achieve (ie closed-back headphone and IEM).

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #6,042 of 15,432
Their sound signature are nothing alike because the "Sony house sound" doesn't exists in the Signature line up (as Currawong explained in his review - the lead engineer of the IER-Z1R gets to decide on what HE want, rather than being conforming to a pre-defined Sony way, and that's the same for the MDR-Z1R as its the motto of the Signature Series - the engineer gets to put their signature on the product), the only common thing is they both try to go for a large soundstage in forms that are difficult to achieve (ie closed-back headphone and IEM).
The iem is more refine, best avoid the headphone.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #6,043 of 15,432

OK; so
is the bass equivalent?
is the soundstage equivalent?
do the IER-Z1R have brighter or darker 10-18kHz?
do IER-Z1R have any weird peaks? The MDR's have a weird peak around 7-8kHz that results in a less than idea reproduction of Trap high hats or other fast transients.
I've owned the MDR-Z1R's for 2 years.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #6,044 of 15,432
The iem is more refine, best avoid the headphone.

The MDR on the other hand gives a more physical feel to the sound due to the large drivers and around ear fit. I love both but would probably say the IER is the better over all

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #6,045 of 15,432
The MDR on the other hand gives a more physical feel to the sound due to the large drivers and around ear fit. I love both but would probably say the IER is the better over all
Thats correct , thats the great thing with headphones , all headphones. The issue is the MDR is not a great SOUNDING headphone. If you prefer this bigger fuller sound there are plenty of other headphones to choose. Obviously you are searching for better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back