SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 5, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #4,231 of 15,376
Honestly, with how much I use (and somewhat abuse) my pair, the main wear and tear is in the cable of all things. The earhooks are starting to get extremely pliant, somewhat annoyingly so. I wonder if there’s a way to undo that.

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #4,233 of 15,376
In my opinion and having owned the Solaris, Trinity and Z1R for the last six months, I will rate the Trinity higher than the Z1R. Both the Z1R and Trinity have great bass but in slightly different flavor. The Trinity bass is more fun, fast, and dynamic with PRaT. The Z1R bass to me has slightly more resolution and foundation. To me they are equally good just different flavor. As for mid I will give a slight edge to Z1R for its high resolution, reproduction of nuances or as the designer's stated objective of a sense of realism. For Treble, the Trinity takes the trophy home with its sense of airiness and ethereal holographic presentation which is the hallmark of any good treble. The Trinity with its dual Estat drivers beats the Z1R hands down. The Trinity is the cleanest and clearest iems that I have owned or listened. In fact after I listened to the Trinity for three weeks and went back to Solaris, I thought the Solaris was veiled by two to three levels and consequently sold the Solaris.

I agree with you on the Elysium particularly with regard to "the mids sound tonally different from the bass and treble" and that is because of the using and tuning the DD for the mid. I actually went to audition the Elysium but came out owning the Erlkonig. By the way it is the JH Lola not Layla that has the same DD for mid and BA for bass tuning.

The problem with the Noble Khan to me is more with the lack of bass impact and not the mids. To me for the price range the Khan is in, I should not have to go looking for bass. It should come to me and present itself to my liking.
Fair enough. I feel that the Trinity is more of a fun sound signature while the Z1R is more well rounded. The Trinity is imo the only hybrid (in the new generation) that went crazy with the bass. The rest played it safe. These 2 iems are the only ones I would say are a clear upgrade from my Andromedas. The rest feel like sidegrades or tend to sacrifice something for something.

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #4,234 of 15,376
Pristine! But I keep the ladies separated at all times. And anyhow, I am now so sure these are keepers that I wouldn't mind some wear and tear so much. On the other hand, I've started to notice a bit of soft play in the mmcx connectors, especially the R side, where I have been unintentionally pressing against the base of the connector when I am shoving the IEMs in my ears for that optimal (maximum) insertion (I stop when the blood starts). :) I'm trying to relax and accept that they will be used, perhaps even break at some point. I will have them repaired and then continue to enjoy them.

What about your pair, how are holding up? Open question to whoever else wants to share their experience so far.
My pair is still tight on both mmcx, so to insert.mine I always grasp the body and push on the rear end f the shells. The removal always insert.finger between ear and shell and pull out holding the shell, at first was pulling it out by pulling on the mmcx connector of the cable

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #4,237 of 15,376
If anyone is interested, this is a great little adapter you can use to demo all those 2 pin cables you've accumulated! Well constructed, and they actually fit the Z1R nicely, as well as fitting the 2 pin well (EA Eros II 8 wire shown). Best yet, you can actually remove them from the iems without resorting to pliers! lol
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Westone-Tr...798074?hash=item4205c7707a:g:BosAAOSw2opc~pds

mmcx adapter 1.jpg mmcx adapter 2.jpg

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #4,238 of 15,376
Pristine! But I keep the ladies separated at all times. And anyhow, I am now so sure these are keepers that I wouldn't mind some wear and tear so much. On the other hand, I've started to notice a bit of soft play in the mmcx connectors, especially the R side, where I have been unintentionally pressing against the base of the connector when I am shoving the IEMs in my ears for that optimal (maximum) insertion (I stop when the blood starts). :) I'm trying to relax and accept that they will be used, perhaps even break at some point. I will have them repaired and then continue to enjoy them.

What about your pair, how are holding up? Open question to whoever else wants to share their experience so far.

Last time i checked for scratches was when i posted a pic of it. I dont mind these small scratches it may even give it some charachter haha. Still use them with 3.5mm most of the time. Thinking of just buying the 20 euro fio adapter 3.5 to 4.4mm. Then i would use the 4.4mm all the time.

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #4,239 of 15,376
Last time i checked for scratches was when i posted a pic of it. I dont mind these small scratches it may even give it some charachter haha. Still use them with 3.5mm most of the time. Thinking of just buying the 20 euro fio adapter 3.5 to 4.4mm. Then i would use the 4.4mm all the time.
Do you refer to this cable? 4.4 female to 3.5 Male?
15651060641144107758598117808260.jpg

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #4,242 of 15,376
Still use them with 3.5mm most of the time. Thinking of just buying the 20 euro fio adapter 3.5 to 4.4mm. Then i would use the 4.4mm all the time.

Yes i found it quite handy, to avoid disconnecting cables frequently.

Or, you can just change cables often and let us know about the mmcx durability. :-D

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #4,244 of 15,376
I read that you were already busy with the durability of the MMCX connectors so i leave it to you.
Must.. increase.. sample.. size.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back