SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #2,386 of 15,276
So even your store's DMPZ1 doesn't fix the Z1R's mids?

Dont have a demo unit of the Z1R where I work. The Sony store with both the Z1R and Z1 available for demo always has people trying both out whenever I'm there.

I've tried a friend's Z1R coupled with a Z1 but didn't get enough time with it to comment.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #2,387 of 15,276
By the way, one of the graph literate people could help out with EQ suggestions. The basic method seems to be placing the frequency response graph on top of this Harman curve or whatever it is and cancelling out deviations. The iBasso DX220 will come with a parametric EQ so I'm all ears.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #2,388 of 15,276
Well, I'll say this. I've heard tons of totls. You name it I've heard it. 64a u18U, CFA Solaris, Sony z1r, qdc vx, rha cl2 , ve8, .....

And what I can say is non of them are good when it comes to vocals. Only the final Lab series and certain fitear models have good mids. Well that's my opinion.

Would you mind sharing your impressions of the IER-Z1R? Where would you rank it among the IEM's you've heard?
TIA!

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #2,389 of 15,276
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #2,390 of 15,276
Hello Guys,

Let me share my impressions on new Sony's IEMs as I can see a lot of controversies and not much consensus (except the Bass :)).

I audited the Sony's IEMs last year during Melbourne Audio show and got extremely impressed by them, much more than the full size headphones, even coming from Full size headphones majorly. After that they got on my were always on my thoughts every time I was looking for an specific sound and trying/auditioning other IEMs. In the meantime I got the Andromeda S, BGVP DM6, Tin T2, KZ AS10, Fiio FA7 and tried a bunch of other ones at a local store for a few hours. Sold all the others after having the Sony's at home. Ended up with Sony M9 and Z1R.

Cutting the story short and making some comparisons. I will save the time to the main head-to-head comparisons. (all tested with my A&K SE100, Tidal Master/Hifi and balanced cables. The ones I owned I also compared using Topping DX7s)

Sony Z1r is the best IEM I tried to date. (period). It doesn't miss anything on Low, Mid, High. Agreeing with everyone, the bass extension and control on these sound amazing and pleasing. with a big "wow" when a hip-hop song comes on the playlist. Vocals and guitars are right the in your face, agreeing with @Redcarmoose review when he mention Jimmy page's voice on this, quite impressing. I will say that I agree with everything he mention on his review. To now, the only downside of Z1r is the weight/size, you can definitely few where it touches your ear. (PS.: there's one single song where the Bass seen slightly uncontrolled on some points when playing on the A&K (doesn't happen on the DX7s), but I need more time to check this, said that none of the other IEMs I have playing this song as low and extended, so I am still incredibly impressed with the Z1R. "Wiz Khalifa - Big Pride (Bag talk)")

(Head-to-head 5 BAs) Sony M9 vs Andromeda S - I consider both with a similar sound signature, V-shape and really musically directed. M9 has a bit more bass and treble extension, not sparky at all. M9 is more detailed than Andromeda S, but not much. Imaging they are similar. Sound Stage, Andromeda is more wide and airy, but that is expected and can be explained by the tuning Sony wanted for the M9 ("to be used by professionals on stage"). At the end I would say that it will be more an aesthetic choice, at least the M9 I won't need to be touching it with gloves afraid of scratching like the S and Z1R, so this is my daily office and general use now. But if V-shape, detailed and all rounder is what you're looking for, both you will be happy. if you want Neutral boring sound, those are not for you anyway.

(Hybrids BA+DD) Sony Z1R vs JH audio Lola - Lola has a good bass, but feels a bit uncontrolled and it has a sparkling treble typical from JH IEMs that looks much more present on the Lola. it is extremely V-shaped for me, too much lows and trebles, there's not much consistency along the frequencies. compared to the Z1r it is extremely clear how Z1r tuning is much more refined and pleasing. I dare you do a blind test between them and don't notice the difference and prize the Z1r on every song you play.

Want extreme? :)

(Hybrids BA+DD+Piezo) Sony Z1R vs Noble Khan - Missing a better word to describe I would say the Khan has an "interesting" neutral and clean sound signature. It is airy and wide soundstage, quite wide for an IEM, but it's splashy (reminded the Lola's) and the bass is not punchy for a DD compared to the Z1r. Image and separation is quite noticeable good. I would say it is something most of the Audiophiles around here would like, the one to sit down and dissect the song looking for a fly buzzing around the microphone during the recording sessions. BUT, interestingly it sounded lost and uncontrolled on a few of my songs, for having the top tech to cover every frequency today I would expect more consistency. I will wait the next gen of triple Hybrids, I think. Even both being hybrids, IMO they are for totally different usages, Z1r being more fun and enjoyable than the detailed neutral Khan.

To end up this long post, I would like to send a big shout out to the Sony team for what they did with the last generation of IERs and the achieved sound signatures. Something that was becoming hard to find on this "neutral/Audiophile" world where Flat and Harman is becoming a must. I don't want to dissect my songs all the times, sometimes I just want to lay down and relax with a dimmed light and a beer and for that the Z1r is perfect with every music genre I throw on it.

I'd would love to try them with they're DAP for longer periods. But Tidal offline is a must for me, so I will wait next gen of Sony DAPs.

Said all that, remember that Sound Impressions are subjective, unless you are comparing graphs that I don't do. So take my words with a grain of salt. :)

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #2,391 of 15,276
Hello Guys,

Let me share my impressions on new Sony's IEMs as I can see a lot of controversies and not much consensus (except the Bass :)).

I audited the Sony's IEMs last year during Melbourne Audio show and got extremely impressed by them, much more than the full size headphones, even coming from Full size headphones majorly. After that they got on my were always on my thoughts every time I was looking for an specific sound and trying/auditioning other IEMs. In the meantime I got the Andromeda S, BGVP DM6, Tin T2, KZ AS10, Fiio FA7 and tried a bunch of other ones at a local store for a few hours. Sold all the others after having the Sony's at home. Ended up with Sony M9 and Z1R.

Cutting the story short and making some comparisons. I will save the time to the main head-to-head comparisons. (all tested with my A&K SE100, Tidal Master/Hifi and balanced cables. The ones I owned I also compared using Topping DX7s)

Sony Z1r is the best IEM I tried to date. (period). It doesn't miss anything on Low, Mid, High. Agreeing with everyone, the bass extension and control on these sound amazing and pleasing. with a big "wow" when a hip-hop song comes on the playlist. Vocals and guitars are right the in your face, agreeing with @Redcarmoose review when he mention Jimmy page's voice on this, quite impressing. I will say that I agree with everything he mention on his review. To now, the only downside of Z1r is the weight/size, you can definitely few where it touches your ear. (PS.: there's one single song where the Bass seen slightly uncontrolled on some points when playing on the A&K (doesn't happen on the DX7s), but I need more time to check this, said that none of the other IEMs I have playing this song as low and extended, so I am still incredibly impressed with the Z1R. "Wiz Khalifa - Big Pride (Bag talk)")

(Head-to-head 5 BAs) Sony M9 vs Andromeda S - I consider both with a similar sound signature, V-shape and really musically directed. M9 has a bit more bass and treble extension, not sparky at all. M9 is more detailed than Andromeda S, but not much. Imaging they are similar. Sound Stage, Andromeda is more wide and airy, but that is expected and can be explained by the tuning Sony wanted for the M9 ("to be used by professionals on stage"). At the end I would say that it will be more an aesthetic choice, at least the M9 I won't need to be touching it with gloves afraid of scratching like the S and Z1R, so this is my daily office and general use now. But if V-shape, detailed and all rounder is what you're looking for, both you will be happy. if you want Neutral boring sound, those are not for you anyway.

(Hybrids BA+DD) Sony Z1R vs JH audio Lola - Lola has a good bass, but feels a bit uncontrolled and it has a sparkling treble typical from JH IEMs that looks much more present on the Lola. it is extremely V-shaped for me, too much lows and trebles, there's not much consistency along the frequencies. compared to the Z1r it is extremely clear how Z1r tuning is much more refined and pleasing. I dare you do a blind test between them and don't notice the difference and prize the Z1r on every song you play.

Want extreme? :)

(Hybrids BA+DD+Piezo) Sony Z1R vs Noble Khan - Missing a better word to describe I would say the Khan has an "interesting" neutral and clean sound signature. It is airy and wide soundstage, quite wide for an IEM, but it's splashy (reminded the Lola's) and the bass is not punchy for a DD compared to the Z1r. Image and separation is quite noticeable good. I would say it is something most of the Audiophiles around here would like, the one to sit down and dissect the song looking for a fly buzzing around the microphone during the recording sessions. BUT, interestingly it sounded lost and uncontrolled on a few of my songs, for having the top tech to cover every frequency today I would expect more consistency. I will wait the next gen of triple Hybrids, I think. Even both being hybrids, IMO they are for totally different usages, Z1r being more fun and enjoyable than the detailed neutral Khan.

To end up this long post, I would like to send a big shout out to the Sony team for what they did with the last generation of IERs and the achieved sound signatures. Something that was becoming hard to find on this "neutral/Audiophile" world where Flat and Harman is becoming a must. I don't want to dissect my songs all the times, sometimes I just want to lay down and relax with a dimmed light and a beer and for that the Z1r is perfect with every music genre I throw on it.

I'd would love to try them with they're DAP for longer periods. But Tidal offline is a must for me, so I will wait next gen of Sony DAPs.

Said all that, remember that Sound Impressions are subjective, unless you are comparing graphs that I don't do. So take my words with a grain of salt. :)
Bet you had a lot of fun writing this. Good 4 U.

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #2,392 of 15,276
Bet you had a lot of fun writing this. Good 4 U.
It was actually fun. Just saw that you had the Solaris (Let's say "Campfire controversy" love or hate apparently). I forgot to mention that I tried it a few times on my endless search for a hybrid IEM. Another interesting IEM, as more I listened to it as more I looked back to my Andromeda's and thought "does it really justify the price difference?". I couldn't justify have the Solaris and Andromeda on the same desk. Not like Andro + Z1r or M9 + Z1r that really shows difference to justify have both.

Apr 30, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #2,393 of 15,276
It was actually fun. Just saw that you had the Solaris (Let's say "Campfire controversy" love or hate apparently). I forgot to mention that I tried it a few times on my endless search for a hybrid IEM. Another interesting IEM, as more I listened to it as more I looked back to my Andromeda's and thought "does it really justify the price difference?". I couldn't justify have the Solaris and Andromeda on the same desk. Not like Andro + Z1r or M9 + Z1r that really shows difference to justify have both.
All CF are just ok.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #2,394 of 15,276
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/giullian.481626/

Finally..........finally someone hears the IER-Z1R for how I perceive it. As an added bonus level, the take on the Noble Khan is paralleled to my thoughts completely!

Knowing my review helped someone get the IER-Z1R is the single only reason I spent the effort to write it............as I found something and an experience I wanted to share with others!

So..... I’m not deaf and crazy after all! Cheers! Enjoy!

I’m going to take a wild guess.......that these reports and approvals will be reintroduced by others as time progresses as more IER-Z1R IEMs get in peoples hands!
9B3A9252-DF2F-4B79-B952-73555B8FF518.gif

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #2,395 of 15,276
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/giullian.481626/

Finally..........finally someone hears the IER-Z1R for how I perceive it. As an added bonus level, the take on the Noble Khan is paralleled to my thoughts completely!

Knowing my review helped someone get the IER-Z1R is the single only reason I spent the effort to write it............as I found something and an experience I wanted to share with others!

So..... I’m not deaf and crazy after all! Cheers! Enjoy!

I’m going to take a wild guess.......that these reports and approvals will be reintroduced by others as time progresses as more IER-Z1R IEMs get in peoples hands!
Can't wait to get my hands on them!! I am told that they are out of stock currently from my local dealer and will update me ASAP.........

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #2,396 of 15,276
I see in my iTunes library that some of my >10-year-old iTunes purchases are at a bit rate of 256 kbps. Is that the same as the streaming service? I thought there was more to it, like the file format and sample rate. I wouldn't mind getting Tidal but the limited selection is a big turn-off. How exactly does offline and download listening work with these services? On what devices can you listen to the offline/downloaded songs? Last but not least, tell me you're "subscribed" to PewDiePie on youtube and don't actually give him money. He has probably made enough for what he does. Content creators and influencers are strange contemporary terms.

By the way, will Spotify launch their own hi-res section?
I would imagine its most likely the same/similar 256 kbps as Apple likely has servers full of the stuff. So if Apple could use the same files for Apple music streaming, it would be a lot less of a burden to convert their entire iTunes library.

Offline mode, just download the songs you would like. And the PewDiePie thing was a joke.

Don't think Spotify has much of an interest to do hi-res especially with the others in the market already doing hi res. But we never really know what these streaming companies are trying to do to get ahead. Amazon Music is looking at getting into the hi res streaming space I saw in a recent article.

May 1, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #2,397 of 15,276
Finally got my order from amazon delivered today. Just opened the box and tried them on, dang these things are huge but only for a few minutes so can’t tell if it will be a problem. Compared to my shure SE846 and KSE1200, the Sony is much larger and protrude out way more.

May 1, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #2,398 of 15,276
Finally got my order from amazon delivered today. Just opened the box and tried them on, dang these things are huge but only for a few minutes so can’t tell if it will be a problem. Compared to my shure SE846 and KSE1200, the Sony is much larger and protrude out way more.

wow lucky! I am still waiting for my amazon delivery........ really can't wait to try them. How do they compare to KSE1200? Do they complete each other?

May 1, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #2,399 of 15,276

Also interested hearing how you think it compares to the KSE1200. I turned the IER-Z1R down for the KSE1200. Pretty confident in my decision (other than soundstage). My previous was also the SE846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back