SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 19, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #2,116 of 15,275
it took a long time but the bass finally settle and currently has the best bass decay in my IEM collection. Just guys you need to be patient with this IEM, very patient.
And I also swapped to old Sony Hybrid tips (the black one), the stock tip don't work for me, and most likely for many others as they are a different materials.

How long is "finally" ???

Apr 20, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #2,119 of 15,275
I don't know if it's been posted here yet, but a couple impressions form Canjam SG

Sony IER-Z1R

In one word: epic. Big stage, big bass, big everything. They’ve also moved on from the house sound of old which was overly warm and smooth with muted treble, which is nothing short of a miracle. The Z1R does everything correct. Bass sounds authoritative yet quick with good rumble/physicality, mids have a sweetness to it, sounding euphonic and natural rather than dry and calculated. Treble is smooth and extended, at the same time tremendously airy and transparent.

Best yet is the presentation. Stage size is wantonly huge and airy, dynamics simply fit the epicness of the Z1R, overall tone manages to remain organic, while note size is just right and well-textured. It’s the flagship nobody expected, and few deserve. What an achievement.
Ezekiel77

Sony IER-Z1R: The IER-Z1R possesses an outstandingly spacious presentation. The image stretches far on all three axes, but does so without any detrimental shortcuts. The stage maintains coherence and unity, and, none of the instruments within it sound insubstantial either. Notes sound dense, tactile and engrossingly corporeal. The Z1R’s low-end provides an excellent foundation; weighty, guttural and three-dimensional. Bass hits have a realistic sense of rhythm without overdoing decay. Its meaty timbre is gorgeous too, radiating just enough warmth without mucking up the stage. The way kick drums and tom-toms are portrayed is stunning, though contra bass enthusiasts may wish for a warmer response.

The midrange is where I’m most lukewarm with the Z1R. To boost depth and definition, it seems Sony has recessed the lower-mids. I find baritones like Michael Bublé missing their weight, gravitas and dynamic range. Those instruments end up coming across meek and distant. Higher-pitched instruments fare far better. They project naturally, surrounded by miles upon miles of space. Listening to Tori Kelly’s Masterpiece featuring Lecrae, this midrange discrepancy is clearly depicted between the two artists. Tori Kelly belts with air and grace, while Lecrae comes across sounding thin and one-note. Though in either case, there’s neither the warmth nor intimacy to satiate any enthusiast of organic, meaty vocals.

Tonally, it’s a strict neutral. I find the Z1R’s treble lovely to listen to. Articulation is crisp, dynamic and clean, but smoothly refined as well. Aside from a hint of brightness around 8kHz, the top-end rings beautifully with the vast majority of my music. Speed and extension impress as well. Treble notes decay gracefully, ensuring those bright hints never linger. And, the Z1R’s wonderful stage is a clear contribution of extension as well. Background blackness and image stability are both world-class. In conclusion, if you’re looking for one of the most spacious, detailed and clean in-ears on the market today – and your tastes do not revolve around euphony or full-bodied lower-mids -the Z1R is a very, very strong contender. Deezer

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #2,120 of 15,275
I don't know if it's been posted here yet, but a couple impressions form Canjam SG

20190331_110414.jpg

Sony IER-Z1R

In one word: epic. Big stage, big bass, big everything. They’ve also moved on from the house sound of old which was overly warm and smooth with muted treble, which is nothing short of a miracle. The Z1R does everything correct. Bass sounds authoritative yet quick with good rumble/physicality, mids have a sweetness to it, sounding euphonic and natural rather than dry and calculated. Treble is smooth and extended, at the same time tremendously airy and transparent.

Best yet is the presentation. Stage size is wantonly huge and airy, dynamics simply fit the epicness of the Z1R, overall tone manages to remain organic, while note size is just right and well-textured. It’s the flagship nobody expected, and few deserve. What an achievement.
Ezekiel77

Sony IER-Z1R: The IER-Z1R possesses an outstandingly spacious presentation. The image stretches far on all three axes, but does so without any detrimental shortcuts. The stage maintains coherence and unity, and, none of the instruments within it sound insubstantial either. Notes sound dense, tactile and engrossingly corporeal. The Z1R’s low-end provides an excellent foundation; weighty, guttural and three-dimensional. Bass hits have a realistic sense of rhythm without overdoing decay. Its meaty timbre is gorgeous too, radiating just enough warmth without mucking up the stage. The way kick drums and tom-toms are portrayed is stunning, though contra bass enthusiasts may wish for a warmer response.

The midrange is where I’m most lukewarm with the Z1R. To boost depth and definition, it seems Sony has recessed the lower-mids. I find baritones like Michael Bublé missing their weight, gravitas and dynamic range. Those instruments end up coming across meek and distant. Higher-pitched instruments fare far better. They project naturally, surrounded by miles upon miles of space. Listening to Tori Kelly’s Masterpiece featuring Lecrae, this midrange discrepancy is clearly depicted between the two artists. Tori Kelly belts with air and grace, while Lecrae comes across sounding thin and one-note. Though in either case, there’s neither the warmth nor intimacy to satiate any enthusiast of organic, meaty vocals.

Image courtesy of Sony

Tonally, it’s a strict neutral. I find the Z1R’s treble lovely to listen to. Articulation is crisp, dynamic and clean, but smoothly refined as well. Aside from a hint of brightness around 8kHz, the top-end rings beautifully with the vast majority of my music. Speed and extension impress as well. Treble notes decay gracefully, ensuring those bright hints never linger. And, the Z1R’s wonderful stage is a clear contribution of extension as well. Background blackness and image stability are both world-class. In conclusion, if you’re looking for one of the most spacious, detailed and clean in-ears on the market today – and your tastes do not revolve around euphony or full-bodied lower-mids -the Z1R is a very, very strong contender. Deezer
Wow, think Sony would love to hire you.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #2,121 of 15,275
The second impression mentioned suspect male vocals. Funny thing is I read someone today claiming there was a 1k peak. These things are all over the place. Another owner claims that the ier-z1r is "very laid-back". I'll be quite bitterly amused if the soundstage/space is essentially the Solaris. At least it seems female vocals should be fine.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #2,122 of 15,275
The second impression mentioned suspect male vocals. Funny thing is I read someone today claiming there was a 1k peak. These things are all over the place. Another owner claims that the ier-z1r is "very laid-back". I'll be quite bitterly amused if the soundstage/space is essentially the Solaris. At least it seems female vocals should be fine.
Its what one believes it is, thats magic.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #2,123 of 15,275
Can anyone help me please ? I am searching for a earphone for a long time . Something to listen to female vocal , I prefer low bass and an outstanding voice clear .
I spent 1000$ in one in ear but I still prefer my AirPod in terms of clearity and brighter voice .. can anyone help me with a suggestion? Someone tell me to try IM -02 , please I need help !

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #2,124 of 15,275
it took a long time but the bass finally settle and currently has the best bass decay in my IEM collection. Just guys you need to be patient with this IEM, very patient.
And I also swapped to old Sony Hybrid tips (the black one), the stock tip don't work for me, and most likely for many others as they are a different materials.

Those black Sony Hybrids were the first tips that worked for me. Still I’m able now to get the included clear silicone tips to work? The Sony Hybrids seem to actually enhance the bass; in my experience?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #2,125 of 15,275
I just happened to try the IER-Z1R for a few hours tonight, seems that the Z5 is more detail revealing with fuller sub bass. How long does the Z1R be burned in?

This is too much fun. So in your words the Z5 was wonderful, the Atlas is crap, and the Z1R is a $600 iem? Can you describe their sound, directly or indirectly comparing and contrasting, in such a way as to make sense of these claims?
Sony's last gen XBA line is good~ and if you people didn't realize @Redcarmoose compared the Z1R to Z5 back in his famous review, and as he said, the IER-Z1R is a perfected Z5. I'm more inclined (hope) to agree with that statement, Cause I love my A3 (Much more affordable Z5)

So you guys that seems to be so itching for a IER Z1R impression, why don't you try and snag a used Sony XBA A3/Z5 somewhere and see whether the tuning suits your taste? :laughing:They can be get quite cheaply these days.

At least that's one idea:relieved:
For me, I'm just waiting for Lachlan @a_recording to say his take as he loves his Z5 as much as I love mine. And he will give some (as he work at an authorized Sony Signature Series dealer).

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #2,126 of 15,275
Can anyone help me please ? I am searching for a earphone for a long time . Something to listen to female vocal , I prefer low bass and an outstanding voice clear .
I spent 1000$ in one in ear but I still prefer my AirPod in terms of clearity and brighter voice .. can anyone help me with a suggestion? Someone tell me to try IM -02 , please I need help !
Sorry, I can't get a gripe on what you're trying to say,
yes the IM-02 is nice but compared to $1K offerings?
There's so much out there...
Why don't you Start by saying what did you exactly buy on that already exorbitant expense?

I think it's selling well all over Asia, not too surprised, it's not neutral but neutral can be boring, Z1R pushes so much air and stage is huge, quite an addictive sound, definitely one of the best IEMs I've ever used. Sadly I ended up selling it because it was a bit too big for my ears. Same case w/ Solaris. What a shame since both are top tier in my books. If there's ever a CIEM Z1R (doubtful) I'd order in a heartbeat.
You ain't gonna try Sony's custom line, Just Ear? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-announces-the-just-ear-brand-of-custom-iems.739725/
I hear people need to personally come to Japan the for personalized interview/ tuning tho.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #2,127 of 15,275
Sony's last gen XBA line is good~ and if you people didn't realize @Redcarmoose compared the Z1R to Z5 back in his famous review, and as he said, the IER-Z1R is a perfected Z5. I'm more inclined (hope) to agree with that statement, Cause I love my A3 (Much more affordable Z5)

So you guys that seems to be so itching for a IER Z1R impression, why don't you try and snag a used Sony XBA A3/Z5 somewhere and see whether the tuning suits your taste? :laughing:They can be get quite cheaply these days.

At least that's one idea:relieved:
For me, I'm just waiting for Lachlan @a_recording to say his take as he loves his Z5 as much as I love mine. And he will give some (as he work at an authorized Sony Signature Series dealer).

It’s a reworked style of the newer Sony house sound, and for me (at the time of the review) I had no other way to describe the IER-Z1R, except hear a Z5 in the signature? But after going back and spending even more time with both the XBA Z5 and IER-Z1R......I can reply that the IER-Z1R bass is way more refined and less all over the place foggy. People had problems with the Z5 bass running single ended with low power, added balanced and power and the Z5 still offered a more prominent all over the place bass, in comparison to the IER-Z1R.

Also just maybe the IER-Z1R is more sub bass focused? Where it’s leaner in the low (close to bass) midrange. And the bass itself with the IER-Z1R is pretty much more detailed, like you would would expect with less “fog”.

But due to this style comes off technically more real and exact. It’s like we left the Z5 night club and walked into a IER-Z1R sound treated room, with speaker room effect still slightly present though just right.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #2,128 of 15,275
Sorry, I can't get a gripe on what you're trying to say,
yes the IM-02 is nice but compared to $1K offerings?
There's so much out there...
Why don't you Start by saying what did you exactly buy on that already exorbitant expense?

You ain't gonna try Sony's custom line, Just Ear? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-announces-the-just-ear-brand-of-custom-iems.739725/
I hear people need to personally come to Japan the for personalized interview/ tuning tho.

Personally, I prefer the Z1R to the "generic" Just Ear versions available for everyone not in Japan (XJE-MH2LS/MS/CS). I think they're different with regards to driver setup (1BA/1DD for the Just Ear, 1BA/2DD for the Z1R).

If Sony could get a Just Ear that sounds like the Z1R though... I'd be all over that. The biggest issue I have with the Z1R is the fit (not egregiously bad, but... meh), whereas even the universal Just Ear demos fit me really well.

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #2,129 of 15,275
@Sp12er3
I paid 1000$ +- in an in ear customized . The sailor guarantee me that is near Shure se840 in terms of “neutral sound”.
But when I put my AirPods , sounds much better for vocals.
In a nutshell I’m trying to say that I want an in ear that prioritize the voice , where the low frequency don’t get in the way. It’s hard to explain but something like the AirPods but better , because I already have the AirPods and for my “musical taste” is the best thing that I’ve try. Sorry if it’s confusing

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #2,130 of 15,275
I just happened to try the IER-Z1R for a few hours tonight, seems that the Z5 is more detail revealing with fuller sub bass. How long does the Z1R be burned in?

You could not be farther from the truth. Yes, on a fuller bass, but the Z5 has no where near the subbass impact of the IER-Z1R? Also I’m not sure what you mean about detail revealing? The IER-Z1R is leagues ahead on detail anyway you slice it? When I purchased my IER-Z1R the shop had a pair with 200 hours, mine out of the box sounded way different using the 1Z they had? After about 100 hours mine started to sound almost identical to the shops. The burned in ones actually seemed easier to drive and were both warmer and had more detail, like the bass was more responsive. Also.......... what are you using to drive them? Tips and fit can be confusing too, as with the right tip they go way deep for fit, and that’s when you get the best treble which increases the detail. It’s funny because fit actually increases the treble and bass. Fit adds to the U shape? IMO

Also going 4.4mm from a DAP was different than using a phone?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back