SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 3, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,801 of 15,275
And I assume no official way on the cable either?

If you happen to know the model number on the hybrid eartips that could go a long way. I haven't been able to find it. I know the old ones are EP-EX11, and I have plenty of those ones. The Z1R hybrids are a little different. And the foams are EP-TC50, but I have no interest in those.

Thanks for responding btw. Very helpful even if not the answers I'd like to hear.
Yup, nothing comes up for me on the cable and don't see anything for the tips in the system. Looks like Sony doesn't want to bring the stock into the country.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #1,802 of 15,275
Why remove the Sony video claiming the ier-z1r is supposed to be balanced with an ideal frequency response, both from an objectivist I'd presume and implied subjectivist viewpoints as the sound engineer talks about how things need to be heard by humans, in contrast to having a V or U sound signature? Have we gotten to a point where we take a senior Sony engineer less seriously than anonymous forum posters?

Are the mids of this iem recessed or not? Are they deficient or weak? Is listening to songs with female vocals really enjoyable?

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,803 of 15,275
Why remove the Sony video claiming the ier-z1r is supposed to be balanced with an ideal frequency response, both from an objectivist I'd presume and implied subjectivist viewpoints as the sound engineer talks about how things need to be heard by humans, in contrast to having a V or U sound signature? Have we gotten to a point where we take a senior Sony engineer less seriously than anonymous forum posters?

Are the mids of this iem recessed or not? Are they deficient or weak? Is listening to songs with female vocals really enjoyable?

I think Sony's more concerned about making it sound how they think it should sound. Hence, why there's a Sony "house" sound sig.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,804 of 15,275
I got the impression they don't think mids are recessed. :wink: I'm very much open to the notion that that was just a promotional video not to be taken seriously, but you have to wonder if they really are just lying. Lying should be taken to task. I also recall from reddit someone looking at the frequency response graph and concluding that the mids won't be very good, which flies in the face of what Sony claim. Crinacle himself claimed mids are recessed. I particularly dislike discriminating against women in audio, their voices should be heard very well.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,805 of 15,275
I got the impression they don't think mids are recessed. :wink: I'm very much open to the notion that that was just a promotional video not to be taken seriously, but you have to wonder if they really are just lying. Lying should be taken to task. I also recall from reddit someone looking at the frequency response graph and concluding that the mids won't be very good, which flies in the face of what Sony claim. Crinacle himself claimed mids are recessed. I particularly dislike discriminating against women in audio, their voices should be heard very well.

I demo'd them at IFA 2018 and I didn't come out of it with the impression that the mids are recessed. And I'm someone particular about mids (which is why I hold onto my SE846). Granted, I didn't get a lengthy time with them, nor tried them with my own equipment. The only criticism I left with was that the high mids/lower treble region didn't sound as clean as I thought it should be, think this is what some folks refer to as "dry". But didn't get "recessed" mids as an impression.

Other folks I've seen said that female vocals sound pristine, but male vocals not as much. This IEM has been rough when it comes to a consensus. Which is why I'm just buying the dang thing and deciding for myself. There's enough from what I heard in the demo to justify the purchase, such as the out of the world soundstage. I'll sell it if I don't end up liking it.

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #1,806 of 15,275
When I hear dry I get terrible flashbacks to the Sennheiser HD800s. That was the thing with those headphones, top soundstage/separation but remarkably weak [female] vocals and a dry sound (though I drew no association to a particular region of the treble or mids not being clean, not at all; clean but terribly dry). Can we categorically say that the ier-z1r is not the hd800(s) of iems?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,807 of 15,275
I used the acoustune tips to make the mids a bit meatier. So far technically speaking the Z1r is very impressive. It sounds open and airy. They're like the EX1000 with different tone. I had to set my zx300's sound to Male vocal to give them warmth. but they shine even more on the SP1k.
Sounds like you've heard both the EX1000 and these. Please do elaborate on how the same/different they compare please.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #1,808 of 15,275
Here’s a pic with darker version of the Z1R hybrid tips. Friend got them in mainland China (I think?) and sent me a few pairs. Apparently they only had S, M, and L. None of the less standard sizes like SS, MS, ML, LL. They match the stock cable better than the off white tips that come with the Z1R.

Sorry for the dirty mousepad. White mousepad problems.

3B0DC0FD-E94A-48AB-A3A0-39F3BC0C2E2B.jpeg

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #1,809 of 15,275
guys i'm really torn between the Z1R and EE Legend X's. Can you please help me decide?

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #1,810 of 15,275
guys i'm really torn between the Z1R and EE Legend X's. Can you please help me decide?
No body can or should help you decide lol. Bring your music to local store or whatever however you can find, and demo it yourself ... pick the one you like lol. I’m new to this site ... but more Or less I notice that there are A lot active dealer or business related or benefit from the products company maybe (no offense,just my own opinion).... so the best is try it yourself first ... then decide .... if really can’t find a way to demo it .... purchase from dealers that have friendly return policy...

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #1,811 of 15,275
No body can or should help you decide lol. Bring your music to local store or whatever however you can find, and demo it yourself ... pick the one you like lol. I’m new to this site ... but more Or less I notice that there are A lot active dealer or business related or benefit from the products company maybe (no offense,just my own opinion).... so the best is try it yourself first ... then decide .... if really can’t find a way to demo it .... purchase from dealers that have friendly return policy...
It's hard. I'm torn between the Z1R and the Jomo Trinity Brass. And it's quite possible neither of them are the ticket.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #1,812 of 15,275

In the perfect world we could all do this. I live in Alaska where there are ZERO high end audio stores. This means I use the internet and this forum for to help with my decision before dropping thousands of dollars on gear, yeah sucks to be me.

That being said, i would love to hear someone's experience, or why they decided to go with one or the other.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #1,813 of 15,275
It's hard. I'm torn between the Z1R and the Jomo Trinity Brass. And it's quite possible neither of them are the ticket.
Well ..... there is not perfect iem or headphone out there .... a lot of people probably end up with more than one . This habit is a rabbit hole. I’m new to this habit. After I thrown $10k in the rabbit hole , I learn something !!! IF you don’t want to loose too much $$$$ buy used ! Even you don’t like it you still can get most of your money back !!!

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #1,814 of 15,275
In the perfect world we could all do this. I live in Alaska where there are ZERO high end audio stores. This means I use the internet and this forum for to help with my decision before dropping thousands of dollars on gear, yeah sucks to be me.

That being said, i would love to hear someone's experience, or why they decided to go with one or the other.
Yes ,it’s good to hear others’ experience, but do more research, read other sites, not just headfi .

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #1,815 of 15,275
Yes ,it’s good to hear others’ experience, but do more research, read other sites, not just headfi .

I find comparisons especially helpful, since comparisons to IEMs you have previously owned will paint a better picture than absolute descriptions. Once you build up a repertoire of relatively popular IEMs, you can check reviews and get a pretty good sense of if the signature description is to your liking :)

Also, I recommend only considering reviews where the reviewer has listened to the IEM for at least a week. First impressions almost never last :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back