SONY IER-Z1R
Apr 4, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #1,831 of 15,290
I agree but then again I am not a fan of EE LX (or Phantom). Both are too thick sounding and overtly warm for me, I think it's bass bleeds too much across the spectrum, it becomes overwhelming and feels stuffy. Z1R on the other hand is a crystal clear sound. Clean bass and quite airy/holographic overall. Stage size and treble sparkle are much superior in comparison. Overall Z1R seems more refined and higher fidelity. I can see why folks like the LX, it is fun for specific genres (e.g. electronic) but personally I prefer a more balanced transparent signature.

Totally agree with you for the above description. Those are what I call specialties iems that also include the Campfire Vega/Atlas line of iems. I posted in the Jomo thread this morning about the same descriptions that you wrote above regarding the Trinity. Everything you said about the Z1R above can be applied to the Trinity with one to two level above the Z1R.
Here is what I said "the piano has that life like sparkle with decay, Cello is tight and defined. Sound Patriot said it good the tuning is very coherent and balance, every elements of the sound profile do not stand out or over take the overall profile unless they are called for by the music. What I mean is for instance the Campfire Vega or Atlas, they are both bass heavy iems regardless of what music you listen to, the Andromeda is the opposite of the Vega/Atlas. Even the Sony's Z1R has that sound character but with the Trinity sound is much more independently presented but in a coherent manner. This is with the brass version. I have not listened to the SS version and I worry that any more cleaner, brighter will alter the above impression and making it like the better version of the Andromeda"

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #1,832 of 15,290
Recently heard the Z1R this week for a couple hours and I'd like to say it's quite entertaining. It fit well. It's definitely not reference and no one should expect that going in.
Bass was tastefully lifted though it got a bit too big for me, sometimes taking over when I didn't need it to. Great texture and definition. That's a matter of preference, I can see it being perfect for someone else.
Mids are where the talk is. Has an upper mid focus more than lower mid. Vocals come across more penetrating than rich.
Highs are smooth yet manage to resolve very well. Extend well and allow a lot of "space".
Stage is large. Musical elements are well separated and spaced. Background is very black so imaging is razor sharp.
Conclusion: it's great overall. Not exactly what I'm personally looking for but it should fit the bill for people looking for musicality and excitement more than raw technical reproduction. However, it isn't lacking in technical prowess and does fine as an all rounder. It just adds flavour and ratchets up the immersion.

If true that sounds quite good.

Very well said except the part "Has an upper mid focus more than lower mid". To me the lower mid let say 400 to 800 Hz range seems to be more focus hence I said the Z1R is great for male vocal. You also said "Vocals come across more penetrating than rich" that is very true and using another descriptive words for the same phase is that vocal seems to be peeled back by two or three layers (veils) when compare to other iems like the Legend X, Atlas etc. That is also in line with the objective/goal of the Z1R when Sony engineers set out to develop the Z1R "to make it as real as they could".

I don't understand this. You're saying that vocals are unadorned and unexaggerated hence realistic? How do female vocals sound? Do vocals come across well through the bass and treble or do they get drowned out?

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #1,833 of 15,290
If true that sounds quite good.

I don't understand this. You're saying that vocals are unadorned and unexaggerated hence realistic? How do female vocals sound? Do vocals come across well through the bass and treble or do they get drowned out?

First of all, assuming bass range is from 200 or 250 Hz on down and treble is from 5000 to 6000 Hz on up those are frequency ranges above/below/beyond most vocal ranges and therefore you do not usually hear vocal in those ranges unless you are like one of my vocal coaches that has a range of five octaves. Some great female sopranos can reach into the treble range but they are rare. So you do not need to worry whether vocals come across well or not through the bass of treble or if they do get drowned out.

When I say the vocals are real and not veiled I am referring to the technicality of the Z1R sound in the vocal range. I am referring to the ability of the Z1R in reproducing nuances in the vocal sound, in capturing spatial information, left and right channels timing, ability to capture silence and decay, and ability to reproduce all the signal coming through starting with the microphone and the mic placement. These are elements that make up what we call imaging, or holographic image. Sometimes, the drivers may also be tuned to have a sweet spot in the vocal range such that frequencies in that range are optimally produced.

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #1,835 of 15,290
So you're saying that just because voices don't reach bass and treble frequencies they aren't overwhelmed or otherwise adversely affected by bass and treble?

I was only answering your specific question on vocal "Do vocals come across well through the bass and treble or do they get drowned out?" and yes by saying that for the Z1R "the vocals are real and not veiled" I also mean that the vocals are not drowned out by bass or treble provided it is not recorded that way in the music. Of course if the original recording made the music in such a way that the bass or treble overwhelm the entire sound frequency, the Z1R will reproduce what is recorded in the music faithfully as any good iems suppose to do.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #1,836 of 15,290
Oh ok, I interpreted the peeling back as going in the wrong direction. So vocals are supposed to be quite clear. What is the meaning of them coming across more penetrating than rich? I thought rich was a good word?

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #1,837 of 15,290
To me as least more penetrating means more clear and rich to me may mean more warm but the poster has to explain what he means for the rest of us.

You also say "So vocals are supposed to be quite clear" Actually "clear" is not the word that I will describe the Z1R, even though it is, what strike me first is the image of the sound, the capturing of the texturing of the voice, and the sense of in vivo or in the presence of the sound that impressed me.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #1,839 of 15,290
For me its a good iem but not a great iem.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #1,841 of 15,290
He has spoken.

By the way, clear vs warm vocals?
Clear, warmish, but not the clearest vocals. Say compared to the JVC 10000.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #1,842 of 15,290
For me its a good iem but not a great iem.

I am asking sincerely, what do you consider as great iems? Tell me your thoughts on the Nerva X, I listened once at Jaben and thought it is interesting, I was very impressed by the all silver shell.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #1,843 of 15,290
What is the difference between clear and warm vocals? For instance, would people say that the vocals of the HD800S are clear while the vocals of the Audeze LCD-X are warm? Here we seem quite content with the Z1R's vocals being clear over rich but the Audeze LCD-X' vocals absolutely destroy those of the HD800S, female vocals at least.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #1,844 of 15,290
Clear, warmish, but not the clearest vocals. Say compared to the JVC 10000.

I put down a down payment for the Z1R and then read all these growing report on the JVC FW10000, how do you compare the JVC FW10000 to the Z1R if you have heard them. I ended up with the FW10000.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #1,845 of 15,290
I am asking sincerely, what do you consider as great iems? Tell me your thoughts on the Nerva X, I listened once at Jaben and thought it is interesting, I was very impressed by the all silver shell.
Had that, its nice, similar to the 64aidio 18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back