SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 7, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #1,397 of 15,280
DSC_1276.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #1,398 of 15,280
Received the Z1r few hours ago in the office... listened to few albums through Tidal offline on Onkyo DP-CMX1. First opinions:

- Impressed but yet to be WOWed
- From memory it reminded of the Beyerdynamic Xelento tonality and Empire Ears Legend X stage and imaging, more so than the Sony XBA Z5 ans MDR-Z1R. (currently at home)
- No issues on fit, but took some time in finding the most comfortable setting between ear tips size and insertion depth

20190307_185037.jpg

Looking forward to the weekend for more quality listening time with various source equipment, also hoping that burn-in time on 2 x DDs tightens up the bass and opens up the stage imaging perception.

Cheers

Mar 9, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #1,399 of 15,280
Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #1,400 of 15,280
It seems to be getting to retailers?
he said the price is a tad lower tho, just a nudge to 200k Yen

Humm intresting...15k yen cheaper

Mar 10, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #1,401 of 15,280
Got to try this finally. Had my T8ie to compare. With Shanling m0. Mids and staging quite similar, Z1R less bass more treble. Not sure can listen to Z1R for so long, it's got that shouty upper mids and more sibilance leh. Overall it's excellent but not sure if it's must-have.

Mar 10, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #1,402 of 15,280
Got to try this finally. Had my T8ie to compare. With Shanling m0. Mids and staging quite similar, Z1R less bass more treble. Not sure can listen to Z1R for so long, it's got that shouty upper mids and more sibilance leh. Overall it's excellent but not sure if it's must-have.

Maybe the problem is the dap and not the IEM.

Mar 10, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #1,403 of 15,280
Running this iem on a Shanling M0 is like using a Ferrari to tow a tanker trailer and complaining it's not going fast.
Get a better Dap pronto.

Mar 10, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #1,404 of 15,280
Running this iem on a Shanling M0 is like using a Ferrari to tow a tanker trailer and complaining it's not going fast.
Get a better Dap pronto.
M0 works fantastic for Andromeda, good for IER M9. If it sounds not so good on Z1R, then it's a big minus for me, better use a closed back full size headphone. But this shouty upper mids, I also get from MDR7550, maybe I'm too sensitive to it, I can't stand people in the office singing falsetto.

Mar 10, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #1,405 of 15,280

Don't be so cheapskate lah, using a Shanling M0 with the Z1R. Andromeda is super easy to push. I get more sibilance with the Andromeda than the Z1R.

Mar 10, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #1,406 of 15,280
Don't be so cheapskate lah, using a Shanling M0 with the Z1R. Andromeda is super easy to push. I get more sibilance with the Andromeda than the Z1R.
IER M9 sounds pretty good with M0, but Z1R has that shouty mids I hear from MDR7550, so it might not be just be power or quality, but the tuning I think. And fyi, I don't believe good sound it's not always about price.

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,407 of 15,280
IER M9 sounds pretty good with M0, but Z1R has that shouty mids I hear from MDR7550, so it might not be just be power or quality, but the tuning I think. And fyi, I don't believe good sound it's not always about price.

How about you go pick up a WM1Z to listen with the Z1R.
If you are going to listen with a Shanling M0, you are not the target market. The Z1R is not for you, because it will sound KNS like what you have experienced.

And I have heard the M9 & Z1R enough to know the difference. So I know what you are hearing is not a good reference point.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #1,408 of 15,280
CD56CD8F-A041-4050-8051-4E159279604E.jpeg

When we arrived home my date was not impressed with the house; still for the life of me; I’m not sure why?

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #1,409 of 15,280

That's actually factually incorrect. The Campfire Audio Andromeda is an incredible sounding IEM , but it is also notoriously sensitive to output impedance, even more so then other multi BA IEMs. That's due to Campfires crossover design. Look up it's impedance plot and you'll see. So Andromeda is actually quite source sensitive and needs a low impedance output to function optimally.

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #1,410 of 15,280
That's actually factually incorrect. The Campfire Audio Andromeda is an incredible sounding IEM , but it is also notoriously sensitive to output impedance, even more so then other multi BA IEMs. That's due to Campfires crossover design. Look up it's impedance plot and you'll see. So Andromeda is actually quite source sensitive and needs a low impedance output to function optimally.

Of course I know that. I have one right beside me. The key point with the Andro is the right output impedance. You get that sorted out, it will be fine.

You can have a "weaker" source but with the right output impedance, you will get good (I won't say incredible) sound.

And that's why I don't recommend CA iems in general because of this sensitivity. The sound signature changes too much, and you have to consider real hard if you ever decide to upgrade your source.

But with the Z1R, you don't have sensitivity issues meaning in general you can be assured that sound will improve if you upgrade your source.

FYI, the Andro with the WM1Z was too dark, but with my cheaper A&K, it sounded just right. You don't have to go big with the Andro, just pick the the right output impedance. The Z1R, you have to go big, otherwise it will not sound right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back