SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 6, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #1,366 of 15,290
@hugo poon, what is that cable you have on the tia? Looks like my Norne Silvergarde 3. Beautiful.

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #1,367 of 15,290
@Redcarmoose, very good writing and review. Couple of points I may vary from your impressions. I think it it more a reverse j than u shape as the treble is really much harder to find. I auditioned the Z1R six times in the last three weeks and I have to pay real close attention to find the 5 mm dd treble driver. I have just purchased the Jomo Trinity so I was switching back and forth between the two. The Z1R’s treble is not as sparkle and airy to me. Again I may be listening to a pre burn in unit. For those that want to use after market cable beware that the MMCX receptacle on the Z1R is not a standard one. It is much deeper and my eidolic mmcx did not fit. Otherwise great writing really enjoyed it. I just purchased the FW10000, and may end up buying the Z1R depending on how they compare. Will see.

Well that’s the thing. If you ever sat around with someone making mixed drinks, some like a shot and some can take triple shots. Treble is the same way. I think Asia in general is more into a brighter involved treble.

What I still hear is a U. Though to hang out with upper mid heads. They will still notice a bunch missing.........and it is. There is stuff left out. But that’s why I write about people simply listening. Getting music together and not trying to analyze the frequency range, but just have a night of listening. For me right now, nothing is missing, nothing at all.

But again, there is folks who want that upper midrange and lower treble complexity. I’m not judging those. That is what much of the qdc line is doing now. Same as the Noble Khan is providing that. I know what it is, and yes, those frequencies ARE not emphasized a ton with the IER-Z1R.

My question which I don’t know is if the way people are perceiving is maybe actually a boost. And they are used to the boost. So when it’s not there they think it’s lacking. Before burn in, and mental burn in I was not so sure how well rounded the IER-Z1R was. I feel for the U shape it does it’s still well rounded. Only because I play 20 albums, any random 20 albums, and the IER-Z1R just plays them back?

Also don’t forget like the above post. Any IER-Z1R before 100 hours is going to sound dark. It’s weird!! Tips effect it too. The old Sony Hybrid Tips make the IER-Z1R darker. The new included “Silicone Tips” actually make the IER-Z1R brighter in my opinion. It’s still too early for people to start getting opinions on tips, but that is where I’m at now.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #1,371 of 15,290
If you didn't bring this up, I would have forgotten this "treble" issue: it did puzzle me a little during my first week with the Z1R yet it's no longer an issue at all after 50 hours or so of burning in. My Z1R is 3 weeks old now and its treble is just as beautiful as my 64 Audio Trio (noticeably better than my Noble Encore Black Edition).:) So, proper burning in does help the 5 mm diver, I guess.

Cheers

PS. Found an after market cable which fit is just perfect and sound fabulous - the Dita OSLO cable.:)

Wow, you have the Encore. And you like IER-Z1R treble better? Amazing. Is it because you think it’s a more realistic and natural treble? Frankly the Encore to me is actually weird. That’s why I’ll always keep them. They are strange to me.

Bigger wallet does not good taste in music buy, it seems.

That’s hilarious!!

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #1,372 of 15,290
@Redcarmoose, I do want to clarify my thoughts when I say the Z1R has a somewhat tamed treble. I don’t meant it in the sense that it is a flaw of the design rather it should be viewed as part of the Z1R sound character instead. I recently communicated with another headfier with regard to that “perfect” phone as follow:

“After chasing the elusive perfect phone/iems all these years you should know by now there is no such thing as a perfect phone even if it is indeed perfect. Because depending on mood sometimes you just feel like listening to certain sound and sometimes you get bored with the same sound regardless how great they are. That is why I decided to collect a few of totl great phones/iems so I can use them at various times.”

Well I have the Vega and Atlas and I also have the Fibass and the Andromeda, so that doesn’ place me in either high or low group. I love the Trinity’s treble but I hate the brightness of the U18t. I think it is the quality of the frequency more so than the quantity of the frequency range is what I am after.

As I said before, I thought the Z1R for what it wants to create and accomplish it has done that. It is indeed a very enjoyable phone and can bring you pretty close to the music especially in the mid range for vocal lovers.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,373 of 15,290
@Redcarmoose, I do want to clarify my thoughts when I say the Z1R has a somewhat tamed treble. I don’t meant it in the sense that it is a flaw of the design rather it should be viewed as part of the Z1R sound character instead. I recently communicated with another headfier with regard to that “perfect” phone as follow:

“After chasing the elusive perfect phone/iems all these years you should know by now there is no such thing as a perfect phone even if it is indeed perfect. Because depending on mood sometimes you just feel like listening to certain sound and sometimes you get bored with the same sound regardless how great they are. That is why I decided to collect a few of totl great phones/iems so I can use them at various times.”

Well I have the Vega and Atlas and I also have the Fibass and the Andromeda, so that doesn’ place me in either high or low group. I love the Trinity’s treble but I hate the brightness of the U18t. I think it is the quality of the frequency more so than the quantity of the frequency range is what I am after.

As I said before, I thought the Z1R for what it wants to create and accomplish it has done that. It is indeed a very enjoyable phone and can bring you pretty close to the music especially in the mid range for vocal lovers.

I completely agree with your last post. It’s insanely subjective. And for whatever reason us humans have a hard time realizing everyone has a different idea of perfect. So true. It’s a tame treble like you say. But remember too, there are also folks calling the full-size Z1R treble too much. I still feel the IER-Z1R and the full-size Z1R share a close tuning. But yes, the IER-Z1R may even have less treble? But my review focus is on simply my personal opinion of the IEM doing vocals slighly better. Again just my opinion. Folks have to put up with me I guess? I was a Sony fan, till this IEM came out now I’m giddy. Lol.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #1,374 of 15,290
Wow, you have the Encore. And you like IER-Z1R treble better? Amazing. Is it because you think it’s a more realistic and natural treble? Frankly the Encore to me is actually weird. That’s why I’ll always keep them. They are strange to me.

"More realistic and natural"... and smooth too.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #1,376 of 15,290
05E9ABA7-8E23-43E7-925F-5949F8BD0A75.jpeg

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,377 of 15,290
If you didn't bring this up, I would have forgotten this "treble" issue: it did puzzle me a little during my first week with the Z1R yet it's no longer an issue at all after 50 hours or so of burning in. My Z1R is 3 weeks old now and its treble is just as beautiful as my 64 Audio Trio (noticeably better than my Noble Encore Black Edition).:) So, proper burning in does help the 5 mm diver, I guess.

Cheers

PS. Found an after market cable which fit is just perfect and sound fabulous - the Dita OSLO cable.:)
Where did you find the Oslo cable; they don't seem to be on the Dita site yet...!

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #1,379 of 15,290

Users who are viewing this thread

Back