https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ier-z1r.23390/reviews#review-21713

DSC_0222.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #1,353 of 15,277
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #1,355 of 15,277
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #1,356 of 15,277
I've reverted back to stock cable, as as much as the Oslo cable fixed the treble for me, the sound became way too laid back and organic.

Currently, for me, nothing particularly stand out for me with Z1R. It isn't special in any way, or bad in anyway. I guess for the money I paid I wanted something with a character, but as is IER-Z1R lacks it.

I still believe Z1R needs good amplification. I remember Z1R sounding alot more alive out of LPGT.

Compared to FW10K, the treble is actually a lot less offensive, but the tonality of FW10K is so much more engaging that the treble sharpenss of FW10K doesnt bother me.

Nice, would love to see some comparison between Z1R and FW10000 in terms of sound signature and fit issue too, because the Z1R looks like a giant

Mar 6, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,357 of 15,277
Nice, would love to see some comparison between Z1R and FW10000 in terms of sound signature and fit issue too, because the Z1R looks like a giant
They are both comfortable but Z1R fits more flash and hangs less as the stock cable is thicker and has a stiffer around the ear loop, where as the stock cable for FW10K provides no assistance whatsoever.

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #1,358 of 15,277

I'd like to know which one is better for metal music. But lately I've liked all BA totl IEMs over DD and hybrid IEMs as both types can't keep up with the speed of metal as well. If either one can handle the speed I'd prefer that for the more natural timbre over BA IEMs.

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #1,360 of 15,277
@Redcarmoose have you tried the Z1R with metal? If you can test it with the Metallica song "One" and give a honest review if the Z1R can handle the speed of it is something that that could push me over the edge to buy if it passes. I've been told that the M9 is better for me, but I already have the 64 Audio A12t so it's really the Z1R or nothing if it is capable at speed metal. I guess I could always just use it for regular 80s music when I'm in the mood for that genre.

To be honest I do not like the full sized Z1R because fast metal songs sounds sloppy and it can sound too bloomy with other music which is why I sold it.

I also owned the tazzy amp for a short while and thought it was ok but couldn't drive the Z1R cans as well as I had hoped so I sold both to a doctor buddy of mine who likes it with jazz and classical music, but says he is looking for another headphone that will pair better with modern rap music with the amp because it's too bloomy. Any recommendations for that too since you're familiar with the dac/amp sound signature and I forgot how it sounds? I don't listen to rap so I have no idea what to steer him towards.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,361 of 15,277
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/fangjoker.375296/

It’s hard for me to suggest anything for your friend as I believe the TA has a different style of synergy with different sources as well as headphones. Also I’m more of an IEM guy. So I only really know the Sony Z1R and Z7 with the TA.

So I tend to look at whole systems; meaning I think every thing effects sound. But today I spent a good while listening to Metal with the 1A and IER-Z1R. So just realize the 1A DAP is running firmware 3.01 and has the fastest bass of my collection. So it’s less bloomy than both the 1Z and TA.

But of course I totally get what your saying about the TA. The TA may have the most bass, meaning more than the 1A and 1Z. Still it’s imaging and detail is for sure more. Imaging and detail can make the bass seem like more though it’s only a dB of extra bass frequencies. That’s the psychological impact of more bass detail. Remember though if you read my review I’m strictly using the DAPs as sources with the Sony dock. So.... the TA does border bloomy, but I completely dig the signature.

I listened to all kinds of metal like Vader and the new Candlmass today. Don’t have Metallica “One”. But I guarantee the IEM IER-Z1R does all kinds of metal, absolutely perfect. Fricking perfect.

I also just listened to the new Ghost album.
Prequelle 10/10. The whole album just sound perfect on the IER-Z1R.

Apocalypse Dudes
By Turbonegro
The whole album! Perfect. I could not get over the guitar sound, so I had to listen to the whole album two times. Lol

Listen to how fast the drums are. IER-Z1R nails it! Fricking nails it!

Ghost “Rats”

New Candlemass.

Just buy them, you will not be sorry. You’ll probably cry when you hear how amazing they are.

Just tell me what your front end will be?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #1,362 of 15,277
@Redcarmoose, very good writing and review. Couple of points I may vary from your impressions. I think it it more a reverse j than u shape as the treble is really much harder to find. I auditioned the Z1R six times in the last three weeks and I have to pay real close attention to find the 5 mm dd treble driver. I have just purchased the Jomo Trinity so I was switching back and forth between the two. The Z1R’s treble is not as sparkle and airy to me. Again I may be listening to a pre burn in unit. For those that want to use after market cable beware that the MMCX receptacle on the Z1R is not a standard one. It is much deeper and my eidolic mmcx did not fit. Otherwise great writing really enjoyed it. I just purchased the FW10000, and may end up buying the Z1R depending on how they compare. Will see.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #1,363 of 15,277
@Redcarmoose, very good writing and review. Couple of points I may vary from your impressions. I think it it more a reverse j than u shape as the treble is really much harder to find. I auditioned the Z1R six times in the last three weeks and I have to pay real close attention to find the 5 mm dd treble driver. I have just purchased the Jomo Trinity so I was switching back and forth between the two. The Z1R’s treble is not as sparkle and airy to me. Again I may be listening to a pre burn in unit. For those that want to use after market cable beware that the MMCX receptacle on the Z1R is not a standard one. It is much deeper and my eidolic mmcx did not fit. Otherwise great writing really enjoyed it. I just purchased the FW10000, and may end up buying the Z1R depending on how they compare. Will see.

I tried a pair of Eidolic mmcx and they fit fine, flush...
I suppose Eidolic might have multiple sizes..

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #1,364 of 15,277

If you didn't bring this up, I would have forgotten this "treble" issue: it did puzzle me a little during my first week with the Z1R yet it's no longer an issue at all after 50 hours or so of burning in. My Z1R is 3 weeks old now and its treble is just as beautiful as my 64 Audio Trio (noticeably better than my Noble Encore Black Edition).:) So, proper burning in does help the 5 mm diver, I guess.

Cheers

PS. Found an after market cable which fit is just perfect and sound fabulous - the Dita OSLO cable.:)
20190305_102825-01-01 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back