SONY IER-Z1R
Feb 22, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #1,187 of 15,276
I have had the Z1R for one week or so now and I'm pleased to say that I'm an extremely happy owner.:)

Just two observations during this relatively short period of time:
1. You're right about the burning in - It takes at least 50 hours of proper burning in to give a decent treble. Yet the change is indeed dramatic; once you get through that, everything is a beauty.
2. To let it shine, a source with good driving power is essential. I'm mainly using the Hugo 2 and Hiby R5 Pro (4.4 output); and also briefly an SP1000 that I borrowed from a friend. They all work pretty well with the Z1R. I did notice that the "recess mid" comment is from someone using a Shanling M0. Haven't tried this player myself but according to Headfonics: 'the M0 struggles with 120ohm and does not have nearly enough power to do justice to needy headphones...'

I agree.

1. Burn-in effect is significant. Mine sounded horrible brand-new: everything's clogged tight together, piercing treble, all over the place bass. It has the basic signatures of what I auditioned but just felt really really off. I was really worried at first... because the production delay I thought Sony retuned something. But after a whole day of use it opened up and began resembling what I heard.

2. Scales up well. I'm by no means a source snob. But IER-Z1R sounds significantly different from my iPhone, WM1Z and ZH1ES. Plan to try it on WA8 and some other ALO tube amps I got lying around. I expect good results when paired with more smoothing sounding amps.

3. Original cable is plenty good. Sony Kimber is not necessarily an upgrade, it's just different. I'm a staunch anti-cable guy so take this with a grain of salt if you're into cables.

All notes personal. Audio is quite subjective. But I hope I can help out if you need more info.

Genuinely digging this pair... haven't been so moved by IEMs since the original MDR-EX1000.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #1,188 of 15,276
I agree.

1. Burn-in effect is significant. Mine sounded horrible brand-new: everything's clogged tight together, piercing treble, all over the place bass. It has the basic signatures of what I auditioned but just felt really really off. I was really worried at first... because the production delay I thought Sony retuned something. But after a whole day of use it opened up and began resembling what I heard.

2. Scales up well. I'm by no means a source snob. But IER-Z1R sounds significantly different from my iPhone, WM1Z and ZH1ES. Plan to try it on WA8 and some other ALO tube amps I got lying around. I expect good results when paired with more smoothing sounding amps.

3. Original cable is plenty good. Sony Kimber is not necessarily an upgrade, it's just different. I'm a staunch anti-cable guy so take this with a grain of salt if you're into cables.

All notes personal. Audio is quite subjective. But I hope I can help out if you need more info.

Genuinely digging this pair... haven't been so moved by IEMs since the original MDR-EX1000.
I agree sound is subjective, I find that the Kimber kable ruins the sound when used with all my iem's, even the EX1000 with the Kimber kable isn't to my likings compared to the stock cable.
Most of my stock cables has only be reterminated to balanced. I've had my Kimber kable for over a year and a half, not once have I fully used it or been out on the street with it, just wrapped up most of the time.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #1,189 of 15,276
I agree sound is subjective, I find that the Kimber kable ruins the sound when used with all my iem's, even the EX1000 with the Kimber kable isn't to my likings compared to the stock cable.
Most of my stock cables has only be reterminated to balanced. I've had my Kimber kable for over a year and a half, not once have I fully used it or been out on the street with it, just wrapped up most of the time.

To be fair, EX1000 stock cables are extremely well made.

Sony Kimber (or any mmcx cable) on EX1000 is problematic because MMCX converter quality can vary quite a lot, unless you re-terminate EX1000 themselves.

Really nostalgic about EX1000 & its sibling models now because, come to think of it, they are the swan song to single dynamic driver IEMs. Sony were able to create such a beautiful, coherent yet technical (beating most BAs) sound in a single 16mm LCP driver.

Guess it's about time Z1R take up the mantle.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #1,190 of 15,276
To be fair, EX1000 stock cables are extremely well made.

Sony Kimber (or any mmcx cable) on EX1000 is problematic because MMCX converter quality can vary quite a lot, unless you re-terminate EX1000 themselves.

Really nostalgic about EX1000 & its sibling models now because, come to think of it, they are the swan song to single dynamic driver IEMs. Sony were able to create such a beautiful, coherent yet technical (beating most BAs) sound in a single 16mm LCP driver.

Guess it's about time Z1R take up the mantle.
My adapter is made using the original exk connector from a person in Japan, I have also tried the cable on the Xelento.

Feb 22, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #1,191 of 15,276
Are you referring to the e888 and the king of iem e484, these are not a Japan only release model, and they cannot cope with hi res, many current mid range iem can sound better with present hardware.

I don't know which model it was. It's 8x8 but all I know is that it was a Japan only model. Maybe there was a better one but I'm looking for the one I owned. I'm curious to hear the difference between what I liked then and what I like now. And while I'm at it I'm looking for a discman with bass boost, esp, and whatever they called the buffer feature. I don't think that Star-Lord cares about his old cassette Walkman with stock headphones and I don't either.

Feb 22, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #1,192 of 15,276
I don't know which model it was. It's 8x8 but all I know is that it was a Japan only model. Maybe there was a better one but I'm looking for the one I owned. I'm curious to hear the difference between what I liked then and what I like now. And while I'm at it I'm looking for a discman with bass boost, esp, and whatever they called the buffer feature. I don't think that Star-Lord cares about his old cassette Walkman with stock headphones and I don't either.

If you're looking for that old Sony sound, go for MD players with MEGABASS. Ohm-image did a bunch of great reviews of old MD units. Here they are:

http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-sony-mz-nh3d-16-bit
http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-sony-mz-b100-16-bit
http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-sony-mz-e55-16-bit

They're cheap and readily available now. If you're looking for exotic MD, you can try to get your hands on the Qualia MD player.

It'd be an interesting combo for IER-Z1R as well haha. Pairing the old with the new.

Feb 22, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #1,193 of 15,276
I agree.

Yes, the original cable is unexpectedly good!! I've tried a number of marvelous cables including the PW 1960s yet ending up using the stock cable. Not a bad thing at all... Kudos to Sony.

"Staunch anti-cable"? At least you accept different cables could sound different.:)

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #1,194 of 15,276
I think the MDR-Z1R c stock cables are also good. Good to know stock cables of IER-Z1R are good, unlike the stock XBA-Z5 cables were crappy and thin

Feb 22, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #1,196 of 15,276
Z1R officially released in mainland china, but only 70 units for the entire country. we can expect some initial user impression soon. I'll be picking mine up tomorrow...

Only 70? Serial number is in 3 digits on some online posts in China. Perhaps some early productions went to other regions as well.

My local Sony Store received no extra units. Sony Japan ships only as many units as pre-ordered.

Feb 22, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #1,197 of 15,276
11EB0B77-ABF7-4662-9558-67C9A3576EEE.jpeg
Received mine today, the first (and only one, for now) in the Philippines

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #1,199 of 15,276
Z1R officially released in mainland china, but only 70 units for the entire country. we can expect some initial user impression soon. I'll be picking mine up tomorrow...

Cool!

Feb 22, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,200 of 15,276

Users who are viewing this thread

Back