SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 3, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #5,491 of 15,280
The Z1R does need a lot of power. I've just bought the SP1000 Amp for it. It definitely drives the Z1R now, but I just need to get rid of the adapter. What 2.5mm cable is best?
A very good question , a cable can make this iem sound as good as the stock cable , sound better than the stock cable , or worse than the stock cable.

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #5,492 of 15,280

The Z1R does need a lot of power. I've just bought the SP1000 Amp for it. It definitely drives the Z1R now, but I just need to get rid of the adapter. What 2.5mm cable is best?

I am using the Dita Oslo with interchangeable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm terminations. Great convenience as I rotate between DX229, Kann Cube & TA-ZH1ES.

To me, the Dita provided sharper vocals and better depth & layering. Not huge improvements but in the range of 10-15%.

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #5,493 of 15,280

I am using the Dita Oslo with interchangeable 2.5/3.5/4.4mm terminations. Great convenience as I rotate between DX229, Kann Cube & TA-ZH1ES.

To me, the Dita provided sharper vocals and better depth & layering. Not huge improvements but in the range of 10-15%.

Why not 20%?

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #5,495 of 15,280
Its just a best estimation and what I am trying to say is that there is a slight improvement from stock to my ears.

To someone else, it may be 0% or 30%. Everyone hears things differently. Best is to go audit if there is an opportunity.

I did, I bought and I am enjoying it.

did you have a chance to compare to Dunu Hulk which has similar adapter feature. just curious what is the difference in sound.

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #5,496 of 15,280
did you have a chance to compare to Dunu Hulk which has similar adapter feature. just curious what is the difference in sound.

Sorry, did not manage to audit the Dunu. Furthermore, the improvements I hear may not be the same as what you will hear.

The housing on the MMCX terminal housing on the Dunu looks pretty thick and may not fit the Z1R as the the Z1R has a recessed MMCX housing. Best to try the actual item as I may be wrong. Just judging based on the pics.

what initially got my attention for the Dita's was that it had interchangeable terminals and the silver MMCX housing complimented the looks of the Z1R; plus the fit was very good as well.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #5,497 of 15,280

How is it removing the Oslo? I've seen that some people have had a difficult time with third party cables on the Z1R and I've had a bad MMCX experience with another IEM in the past that I'd rather not relive.

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #5,498 of 15,280
I couldn't decide between the Solaris and the Z1R; I purchased the former first, but once I listened to the Sony, I couldn't put them down. The bass is superbly addictive. In the end, I got the Z1R as a (really) nice complement to the Solaris. My wife nags at me non-stop, but hey, I'm a happy camper.

I can definitely see the Solaris and Z1R coexisting alongside each other. Unfortunately, I didn’t own them at the same time. Both are excellent IEMs but from memory I think I’m all set with the Z1R!

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #5,499 of 15,280
I would also like to switch between 4.4 and 2.5 on the fly without disconnecting the MMCX connector on a regular basis; what options do I have apart from buying some stupidly expensive aftermarket cable? Can someone recommend an adapter of some sort? Or is that generally frowned upon as affecting sound quality negatively?

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #5,500 of 15,280
How is it removing the Oslo? I've seen that some people have had a difficult time with third party cables on the Z1R and I've had a bad MMCX experience with another IEM in the past that I'd rather not relive.

I interchange the Oslo between the Z1R & IER-M9 and have not experienced any issues. Disconnecting the MMCX terminals has been pretty straight forward on both IEMs.

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #5,501 of 15,280
Lachlan posted an impression of the Z1R for his workplace, AU Minidisc channel

4K closeups IER Z1R goodness.
Has very brief comparison (less than 4min video) with Andromeda/S, Solaris, U12T, Khan, and Valkyrie.... Ah the luxury of being a crew of a headphone store.

TLDW: He bought one for himself.

Nuclear reactor material is in your ears :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #5,502 of 15,280
Id rather delete this :beyersmile: should've guessed that a rush of traffic in a relatively short time is probs from people arguing.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #5,503 of 15,280
Lachlan posted an impression of the Z1R for his workplace, AU Minidisc channel

4K closeups IER Z1R goodness.
Has very brief comparison (less than 4min video) with Andromeda/S, Solaris, U12T, Khan, and Valkyrie.... Ah the luxury of being a crew of a headphone store.

TLDW: He bought one for himself.

Nuclear reactor material is in your ears :ksc75smile:

Oh I totaly agree with the reviewer, ier-z1r is very good, at some point I was about to get the Valkyries but went with sony and probably did a good move since valk is to bright. Love the fact that the z1r is 40 ohm you can hook it to anything and no hiss :) plus it acts it self as a headphone and not an iem hehe

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #5,504 of 15,280
I would also like to switch between 4.4 and 2.5 on the fly without disconnecting the MMCX connector on a regular basis; what options do I have apart from buying some stupidly expensive aftermarket cable? Can someone recommend an adapter of some sort? Or is that generally frowned upon as affecting sound quality negatively?
I use an adapter when I connect to a 3.5mm jack on my Hugo, with no discernible negative effect. They do affect the ergonomics, as it adds another connector barrel to your cable, but soundwise, no problem to my ears. If you're talking about using your Z1R cable, you probably have to use a pigtail adapter; I've not ever found a hypershort adapter plug that goes from 4.4mm female to 2.5mm male. IMO.

61txsfMaAEL._SX679_.jpg

Oct 5, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #5,505 of 15,280
I use an adapter when I connect to a 3.5mm jack on my Hugo, with no discernible negative effect. They do affect the ergonomics, as it adds another connector barrel to your cable, but soundwise, no problem to my ears. If you're talking about using your Z1R cable, you probably have to use a pigtail adapter; I've not ever found a hypershort adapter plug that goes from 4.4mm female to 2.5mm male. IMO.

61txsfMaAEL._SX679_.jpg
This is the one I have.4.4 to 2.5 and 3.5mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back