SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 7, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #5,521 of 15,264
What I am referring to is it was stated ( a few posts up) that the WM1Z was said to be warmer, yet more treble than the WM1A.
Ooo , well its all what we believe or what our ears tells us , or a combination. The 1z is pretty warm sounding compared to all the other TOTL daps.

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #5,522 of 15,264
Oct 7, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #5,523 of 15,264
So then why do you bother describing it?

Trying help a folk to at least get an idea to where it goes....

It helped me when I asked people to describe daps or iems. So I do my part as well.

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #5,525 of 15,264
just out of curiosity, it 1z or the N6ii warmer ? what about resolution ?

Never heard the cayin cant comment sorry

Oct 7, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #5,526 of 15,264
just out of curiosity, it 1z or the N6ii warmer ? what about resolution ?
It depends on the module you put into the N6II. Each module includes a different dac/dacs , mother board and amp.

Oct 7, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #5,528 of 15,264
The acoustic foam in the Z1R makes me wonder to what extent engineering IEMs is hit-or-miss. The final product might not have been what the engineers set out to design, so they tried stuffing different foam in it until they achieved a reasonable balance.

IEMs that use pre-made acoustic filters, or interchangeable filters, make me more inclined to believe it's intentional.

Oct 7, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #5,529 of 15,264
I just did it! I decided and took the foams out!

The sound changes a lot when doing so. I find its more clearer and slightly more reference like. Treble is much more pronounced and not fatiguing. It sizzles just right ) its very unique to 1z and z1r.

I actually completely removed the foams and have the whole bore wide open threw )
It is very easy just pull slightly on the foam and it just detaches from the wall and snaps off... if needed carefully scrape of the left glue.

Now my wm1z sounds even more amazing! Bass improved and treble too! It feels like it brings more clarity and details and yea way less muffled. I dont like to use that term so Id say. Its now less warm and lush. It still very pleasant and warm but not in muffled way hehe.

Personally I investigated that foam sony implemented and find it wayyyy to dense. It restricts sound to pass freely so yea it does get attenuated and warmed up quiet a bit with foam...
Interesting how big old Sony thinks shoving things in is better than customers end up working to modify Sonys "engineering".

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #5,530 of 15,264
Interesting how big old Sony thinks shoving things in is better than customers end up working to modify Sonys "engineering".

I wouldn't call removing materiel "modifying engineering." Audio foolery perhaps. If you wanted an IEM with a boosted treble, you should've bought an IEM with boosted treble. And I'm pretty sure Sony engineers have better understanding of acoustics than a handful of so-called audiophiles. But then, to each his own right?

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #5,531 of 15,264
I wouldn't call removing materiel "modifying engineering." Audio foolery perhaps. If you wanted an IEM with a boosted treble, you should've bought an IEM with boosted treble. And I'm pretty sure Sony engineers have better understanding of acoustics than a handful of so-called audiophiles. But then, to each his own right?
I think everybody will agree that Sony engineers are knowledgeable and know what they are doing. However, that does not mean that a product any engineer created for mass marketing is perfect for every situation. The engineer cannot engineer for every situation, only for a generic solution to satisfy their design goals and what they see as most valued by the bulk of users for their target market. They cannot cater to individual tastes, only to the "averaged" consumer requirements.

Take the situation of a high performance car. Will the factory tires be perfect for every situation? That is unlikely.

It is true in general, for any product, that there are user mods/individual preferences, that can tune for specific requirements and situations, and enhance an already good product. The thing to note with these, is that they are for specific users requirements, and are dependent on System, Synergy, type of music, user individual preference, etc., etc.

I believe every engineer's creation is a starting point, and not a solution frozen in stone, so there is no sacrilege, or negative reflection on the engineer's capabilities if modifications are made. It is more a praise of the product, that the user values it highly enough to spend the time and energy, and money, to try to bring it closer to their own personal preferences. And note that this is not to condemn the engineer's choice, but just to adapt it for a smaller user base with specific situations and requirements.

I do agree that the majority of users will not do this, or need to. But there will also be users who are looking at how something can be improved, and we can be thankful for the insights that they provide, as the extra data, negative or positive, contributes to the overall knowledge, of amateurs and professionals alike.

Oct 8, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #5,532 of 15,264
I think everybody will agree that Sony engineers are knowledgeable and know what they are doing. However, that does not mean that a product any engineer created for mass marketing is perfect for every situation. The engineer cannot engineer for every situation, only for a generic solution to satisfy their design goals and what they see as most valued by the bulk of users for their target market. They cannot cater to individual tastes, only to the "averaged" consumer requirements.

Take the situation of a high performance car. Will the factory tires be perfect for every situation? That is unlikely.

It is true in general, for any product, that there are user mods/individual preferences, that can tune for specific requirements and situations, and enhance an already good product. The thing to note with these, is that they are for specific users requirements, and are dependent on System, Synergy, type of music, user individual preference, etc., etc.

I believe every engineer's creation is a starting point, and not a solution frozen in stone, so there is no sacrilege, or negative reflection on the engineer's capabilities if modifications are made. It is more a praise of the product, that the user values it highly enough to spend the time and energy, and money, to try to bring it closer to their own personal preferences. And note that this is not to condemn the engineer's choice, but just to adapt it for a smaller user base with specific situations and requirements.

I do agree that the majority of users will not do this, or need to. But there will also be users who are looking at how something can be improved, and we can be thankful for the insights that they provide, as the extra data, negative or positive, contributes to the overall knowledge, of amateurs and professionals alike.
Are you proud of your writing ? Obvious thoughts , but well written , soon you will be headphone supremo.

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #5,533 of 15,264
Are you proud of your writing ? Obvious thoughts , but well written , soon you will be headphone supremo.
In today's world, the goal is more to try to voice an opinion and walk a fine line between opposite beliefs, AND try to be positive and have a discussion, without antagonizing either group. That is a challenge to do, though it is something familiar, as I've spent a long time in customer service, where this is a basic requirement.

That I say some thoughts about a topic, reflects that I feel strongly enough about it to try to explore a different perspective. It's only a personal perspective, though. I do not believe there is a need (or ability) to convert anyone. Everybody makes their own choice. You can be happy either way.

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #5,534 of 15,264
In today's world, the goal is more to try to voice an opinion and walk a fine line between opposite beliefs, AND try to be positive and have a discussion, without antagonizing either group. That is a challenge to do, though it is something familiar, as I've spent a long time in customer service, where this is a basic requirement.

That I say some thoughts about a topic, reflects that I feel strongly enough about it to try to explore a different perspective. It's only a personal perspective, though. I do not believe there is a need (or ability) to convert anyone. Everybody makes their own choice. You can be happy either way.
Which dap is he talking about ?

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #5,535 of 15,264
Which dap is he talking about ?

he is not, he is continuing the talk of removing the foam after you mocked his first comment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back