SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 9, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #3,256 of 15,280
Mine is 39xx and R seems pretty tight, while L has the slightest play.

Btw, I'd like to ask your guys' opinion about my z1r. Considering the rough shipping conditions and the carrying case falling about 1m to a laminate floor (case opened and the IEM's fell out of their holding slots but somehow remained inside the case), what do you think is the more reasonable assessment of the following 2 polar opposites:
1. Some damage was sustained by the IEMs and even though they sound good right now, something will come loose and fail sooner rather than later.
2. The fact that they sound good proves that there was no damage and in fact provides confidence that this pair is quite robust and that should similar accidents happen in the future, they are likely to be OK.

This is to help with my OCD, of course. Thanks!

Keep calm and enjoy the sound.

Jun 9, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #3,258 of 15,280
So...eh.....anyone interested in selling their Triple Comfort tips to me :) (especially the Ms and S sizes)
Left them somewhere during moving
Sony sells replacements for all the z1r tips. The only official spare parts. I was hoping they would sell the filter too, but looks like no dice.

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #3,259 of 15,280
Mixed feelings so far.. but mostly positive.

Some random notes:
- Give In To Me by MJ always had this weird thing in the bass region when played on my Andromedas. I was getting ear discomfort/pain when the super low bass kicked in. Clear with the z1r.
- Toxicity by SOAD sounds the best I've ever heard it
- It seems like I can get a decent fit with almost all sizes of tips. Comfort is ok initially, but after about 30 minutes some become a bit painful. Must experiment some more to find my ideal fit.
- The z1r sounds better when louder. With my Andromedas I was enjoying music also at low volumes, but with the z1r I feel like I always want to crank it up higher (btw, for volume matching the z1r is about 2x the Andromeda).

Son is sick, so will take longer to post pictures.

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #3,260 of 15,280
Where have you found all the tip sizes available? As far as I can recall I haven't seen the hybrids available in MS, ML, and LL. And I haven't seen the Triple Comforts in those sizes as well as SS.

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #3,262 of 15,280
Nope... when the music comes on......I feel like I’m in a great bar?

866E6488-63B9-4878-A4F2-EE5B475489C5.gif

Jun 9, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #3,263 of 15,280
Yeah that connector upper tube thing is touching my ears and i can see an inprint on my ears of it. But fortunately i dont feel it at all. I can keep these in for hours with the final E tips. With the sony hybrid silicone i can feel it touching my ears

Jun 9, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #3,264 of 15,280
Anybody had an issues with the connector/upper "tube" portion rubbing on their upper ear? That thing is huge...

It’s the other way around for me. Due to the size of this IEM, that connector part looks like it’s leaning away from my ear. Every time I tried to push it closer to my ears, it will revert back to the original position. Looks very weird if I see myself in the mirror but hey, I’m surprised it’s a very comfortable fit for my small ears.

Originally was going to settle with the included hybrid silicone but I tried to put on my tried and tested with all my other IEMs Ortofon tips, and now it fits like a glove.

Jun 10, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #3,265 of 15,280
Yes, exactly... except...
When I opened the inner black box I had it on my desk with the side of the box that has the "sony" print towards me. I flipped it upwards and the case with the IEMs fell down to the floor, opened (magnet holding the case closed is not a good design for a carrying case imo) and the IEMs rolled out of their slots but remained in the box.. probably banged into each other a bit too.

So not a good start with the Amazon packaging and definitely not a good continuation with me letting the IEM case fall down. What's next, accidentally plugging them into the wall power socket?

LOL, the same thing happened to me.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #3,268 of 15,280
Hmm... excellent packaging... not a good start.

Unfortunately this happens far too often. The trouble here also is that Sony have used quite soft cardboard for this item which means the few boxes I have seen have slight impact, wrinkles in at least one of the corners. As Sony have made the box into a jewelry display box, that's a bit of a shame. They should have used a brown outer cardboard box like they did with the Z1 DAC/Amp to protect the display box.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #3,269 of 15,280
Also where the L and R are written and where the so called vent is. That part is also touching my ears but not feeling it.

78925991-22E3-4A6E-AA71-F733922DFBAD.jpeg

Red dot delineates right. Not sure about vent?

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #3,270 of 15,280
They should have used a brown outer cardboard box like they did with the Z1 DAC/Amp to protect the display box.
Actually they do ship in the same style of brown outer box, only it isn't packed individually, unlike the ZH1ES, so the retailers have to repack it themselves when selling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back