Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Oct 21, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #2,252 of 3,155
You don't need it, it will not improve anything sound-wise. Stock cable is absolutely fine.
I'll second that myself.

I originally thought I might get more juice out of my M9 if I toyed with the cable but then I did two things that changed everything: switched to Final E tips and started using USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) on my Sony NW-ZX507 to bypass Android Audio; found my sweet spot, never looked back since.

Not only that, but a) I stopped obsessing on trying other IEM/source setups altogether (!) and b) found myself reaching for my Sony combo far more often than I ever expected, considering that I also own a very respectable full-size HP system and a super solid audiophile stereo system which I enjoy immensely.

The M9 is a solid contender as is, wouldn't change a thing about it* besides carefully matching it with a solid source!
*that is, accepting the limitations of IEM listening per se.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #2,253 of 3,155
I'll second that myself.

I originally thought I might get more juice out of my M9 if I toyed with the cable but then I did two things that changed everything: switched to Final E tips and started using USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) on my Sony NW-ZX507 to bypass Android Audio; found my sweet spot, never looked back since.

Not only that, but a) I stopped obsessing on trying other IEM/source setups altogether (!) and b) found myself reaching for my Sony combo far more often than I ever expected, considering that I also own a very respectable full-size HP system and a super solid audiophile stereo system which I enjoy immensely.

The M9 is a solid contender as is, wouldn't change a thing about it* besides carefully matching it with a solid source!
I also have a zx507. Do you prefer sound quality in UAPP over Sony's native app? I've always read that Sony's native app on the zx507 sounds better than other apps.

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #2,254 of 3,155
I also have a zx507. Do you prefer sound quality in UAPP over Sony's native app? I've always read that Sony's native app on the zx507 sounds better than other apps.
I think I do, although I didn't compare extensively. To my ears, Final Type e + UAPP creates a clearer rendering while maintaining bass slam at the same time; kinda lifts a haze in the lower midrange if memory serves me right. I remember UAPP played a big part on this, but it's been a year and a half since I switched and I can't remember for sure. On the other hand, the main reason I did not test extensively is that UAPP also does streaming and I can't live without my Qobuz account.

Obviously YMMV, no two ears are alike so perhaps some other combination may work better for you and your ear canal. My main point though is that the OG cable pulls its weight easily with the M9, there are lots of (cheaper) things to try before messing with aftermarket cables.

Oh, and btw, I found that people need to be aware of the volume level with the Sony ZX507. At first it sounds somewhat underpowered for the M9; I easily found myself looking for 90% volume with a tendency to go all the way to 120%! (perhaps this explains the "no volume cap" preference with this device) But then I realised that the M9 renders quiet space with such ease that you tend to forget about the possibility of sound peaks, especially with good recordings. Now, depending on the track, I will indeed go up to 100% or more* but I still do try to keep my head in check for tracks that have different volume peaks—especially with contemporary pop music/r&b/soul that's usually compressed from the get go.**

-----------------------------
* That's with an easy 100% hearing, tested at the doctor's.
** Qobuz does not apply volume matching, therefore it's quite possible to switch abruptly from a low volume level track to a high volume level track.

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #2,255 of 3,155
I'll second that myself.

i've settled on final e as well, they're my favourite tips, for comfort and sound, glad they works with m9 too.

The bass on these is crazy good, has nothing to envy to my other iems with dd

Oct 22, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #2,256 of 3,155
You don't need it, it will not improve anything sound-wise. Stock cable is absolutely fine.
pretty debated matter, also in this thread, someone said that m9 can scale very well with a good cable, but I don't know, have you tried others than the original?
I dig the original so far

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #2,257 of 3,155
pretty debated matter, also in this thread, someone said that m9 can scale very well with a good cable, but I don't know, have you tried others than the original?
I dig the original so far
There's a lot of 'believe' stuff on Head-fi due to paying a premium.

I've had £200 Sony Kimber 4.4mm and a couple of £100+ silver 4.4mm.

Copper to silver has a audible difference for sure but still subtle and slight EQ tweaking could likely simulate the difference.

I buy cables for fit/feel/build quality now rather than expecting significant audio differences. So long as you avoid cheapo end (sub £20).

Oct 23, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #2,258 of 3,155
I have posted about my cable change before, I used the M9 with the Z1R stock cable and found an worthwhile improvement going to the CEEMA PS cable (from Aliexpress).
That said the stock Sony cables are really good and I think you need a very good source to justify spending more on an upgrade.

But stock is good and it‘s really hard to find a good upgrade, so maybe simply stick with it.

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #2,259 of 3,155
I have posted about my cable change before, I used the M9 with the Z1R stock cable and found an worthwhile improvement going to the CEEMA PS cable (from Aliexpress).
That said the stock Sony cables are really good and I think you need a very good source to justify spending more on an upgrade.

But stock is good and it‘s really hard to find a good upgrade, so maybe simply stick with it.
I also have good results with the CEMA PS cable on the M9

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #2,260 of 3,155
I think I do, although I didn't compare extensively. To my ears, Final Type e + UAPP creates a clearer rendering while maintaining bass slam at the same time; kinda lifts a haze in the lower midrange if memory serves me right. I remember UAPP played a big part on this, but it's been a year and a half since I switched and I can't remember for sure. On the other hand, the main reason I did not test extensively is that UAPP also does streaming and I can't live without my Qobuz account.

Obviously YMMV, no two ears are alike so perhaps some other combination may work better for you and your ear canal. My main point though is that the OG cable pulls its weight easily with the M9, there are lots of (cheaper) things to try before messing with aftermarket cables.

Oh, and btw, I found that people need to be aware of the volume level with the Sony ZX507. At first it sounds somewhat underpowered for the M9; I easily found myself looking for 90% volume with a tendency to go all the way to 120%! (perhaps this explains the "no volume cap" preference with this device) But then I realised that the M9 renders quiet space with such ease that you tend to forget about the possibility of sound peaks, especially with good recordings. Now, depending on the track, I will indeed go up to 100% or more* but I still do try to keep my head in check for tracks that have different volume peaks—especially with contemporary pop music/r&b/soul that's usually compressed from the get go.**

-----------------------------
* That's with an easy 100% hearing, tested at the doctor's.
** Qobuz does not apply volume matching, therefore it's quite possible to switch abruptly from a low volume level track to a high volume level track.
I tested the uapp on the nw zx507. The sound seems brighter, but somehow I think you lose a little bit of soundstage expansion. I left it installed on the dap as an alternative, but my main player is the one from Sony, with the NI1000 eartips the M9 sounds fabulous!

Oct 24, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #2,262 of 3,155
Yep, but I don't know if it's worth to spend 200€ for, cema cables are pricey, have you paid custom fees out of curiosity?
I didn't pay any custom fees. They gave me several options for plugs (including mmcx for ierm9/z1r), splitters...

Oct 24, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #2,264 of 3,155
Which improvements
Which improvements did you notice?
I feel that the frequencies
mid highs were slightly softer in relation to the stock cable, putting an end to any annoyance in this range. strangely enhancing the details and spatiality. in addition to an enhancement in the mid and bass frequencies. The sound stage has also been increased a little.

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #2,265 of 3,155
I feel that the frequencies
mid highs were slightly softer in relation to the stock cable, putting an end to any annoyance in this range. strangely enhancing the details and spatiality. in addition to an enhancement in the mid and bass frequencies. The sound stage has also been increased a little.
thanks for your feedback :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back