Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Oct 19, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #2,221 of 3,201
Oct 19, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #2,224 of 3,201
I'm listening to them now, they arrived today, bought them as used of course, first thing I noticed they're pretty hard to drive, didn't expect this. Anyway I think they're legit, are there fake m9 sets?

Oct 19, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #2,225 of 3,201
I'm listening to them now, they arrived today, bought them as used of course, first thing I noticed they're pretty hard to drive, didn't expect this. Anyway I think they're legit, are there fake m9 sets?
Never heard of fake M9s. They are quite hard to drive, especially if you want to push dynamics. I feel they don’t easily get loud but become more energetic with higher volume settings.

Oct 19, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,226 of 3,201
Never heard of fake M9s. They are quite hard to drive, especially if you want to push dynamics. I feel they don’t easily get loud but become more energetic with higher volume settings.
better this way! I'm always a bit afraid of counterfeits with brands like sony or sennheiser ecc...
Well I think they're the hardest iems I've to drive, plugged to the adi2, I had to turn up the volume almost twice as much.
Here they are :)
sony.jpg

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #2,227 of 3,201

Volume level dependant, that's very true. Lot of people say m9 is boring, lifeless, because I assume they are listening on low volume level, or weak sources. Similar with Z1R also, if listened on low volume level, mids are recessed but actually if we crank up the volume, just wowwww

Oct 20, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #2,228 of 3,201
M9 will be very very difficult to counterfeit given its made of magnesium and real carbon fiber faceplate which results in its unique lightweight character and skin feel. You'll have to copy the stock cable, case and tips as well, all of which are exquisitely made (cause Japan lol, made in Thailand though). There are many fakes of the Sony hybrid /EPEX11 tips but none of them is nearly as good as the real deal. M9 is almost as difficult to drive as Final IEMs, maybe a Japanese thing.

Oct 20, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #2,229 of 3,201
Volume level dependant, that's very true. Lot of people say m9 is boring, lifeless, because I assume they are listening on low volume level, or weak sources. Similar with Z1R also, if listened on low volume level, mids are recessed but actually if we crank up the volume, just wowwww
Fit and how they seal is extremely crucial as well. Push too deep and there will be an unbearable vacuum suction and blunted dynamics. The key is to softly seal and not pushing too deep.

Oct 20, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #2,230 of 3,201
Which cable do you suggest to use?

In my M9 I use the balanced CEMA PS 4.4 cable with a special plug for M9/Z1R and for me it is a perfect match.

Oct 20, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #2,231 of 3,201
New to the group. anyone who owns sony ierm9 and ie600 at the same time? I was wondering if its considered an upgrade/sidegrade from ie600 to ierm9? i currently own ie600. thanks
I own both the sennheiser ie600 & the m9 Sony's.
They are both excellent iems to my ears if I had to choose one it would be the Sony's but not by much, I find the m9s to be more relaxing but having said that the ie600 won't be leaving my collection. Get both if you can afford it.

Oct 20, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #2,232 of 3,201
Not boring at all, for the little I've heard they're very engaging, but yes, they require juice, although they can sound a bit muffled

Fit and how they seal is extremely crucial as well. Push too deep and there will be an unbearable vacuum suction and blunted dynamics. The key is to softly seal and not pushing too deep.
I tried several tips, the best for the moment are the final e and the stock hybrids. But these iems are a bit tricky with fit and seal too, so have to tip rolling again and maybe again.

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #2,235 of 3,201
does anyone know why I found this case in the box instead the one I saw in rhe reviews?

carr.jpg
carry.jpg

I imported mine from Japan only recently and it came with the excellent square (round corners) hard case with the rubber magnetic cable tidy thing. I'd be disappointed if mine had come with one in the photo. Was it a sealed package ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back