Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jul 31, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #92 of 3,155
Anyone willing to part with their M9 balanced cable. I am looking for the balanced cable to use with my MDR-7550. I am hoping that it will fit considering, you know, Sony.
The M9 uses MMCX, the MDR-7550/EX800ST uses Sony's proprietary EX connectors. They're not compatible.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #95 of 3,155
Anyone willing to part with their M9 balanced cable. I am looking for the balanced cable to use with my MDR-7550. I am hoping that it will fit considering, you know, Sony.
Is that MDR single sided? If so, the 1AM2 balanced cable should work.

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #96 of 3,155
Is that MDR single sided? If so, the 1AM2 balanced cable should work.
Unfortunately, it's not and the cable that it comes with isn't balanced either, so it's not a simple retermination into the Pentaconn connector. So it's an entire cable replacement. Now it's a matter of finding right termination at the earphone end. Something to follow up in the 7550 thread.

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #99 of 3,155
Deep insertion is not ideal for the M9?

Not at all - bass and treble is sucked out if you insert it such that it's pressurised. Happens to most if not all IEMs, but it's easy to overdo it on the M9 due to its ergonomic shape allowing for that to happen.

I mean, you have them - try it out and see what it sounds like. They sound completely different depending on how deep you insert them.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #100 of 3,155
I don't think I have ever been more disappointed after listening to a hyped iem than the IER-Z1R.
Grainy mids, everything sounded recessed, horrible tonality.
Music sounded dead.
Just a trip.... KEPT LOOKING for that stage that was supposedly wide and massive, it was flat, zero depth, just...recessed.
How this thing costs 2000 dollars is beyond me.
How the same company can design the DMP-Z1 and this is baffling.
Hoping that the M9 was handled by a different staff.
That's a clear example of taste difference. :)

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #101 of 3,155
That's a clear example of taste difference. :)
I agree very much. But I can say this, if I took the IER-Z1R to the streets, more people would side with my take on the impressions than of the so called "S" class reviewers.
Does that mean anything at the end of the day? Probably not very much, other than maybe proving reviews are pointless, and people should just go about listening to whatever they like. F.. everybody else.
The only thing that matters is what you think.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #102 of 3,155
I agree very much. But I can say this, if I took the IER-Z1R to the streets, more people would side with my take on the impressions than of the so called "S" class reviewers.
Does that mean anything at the end of the day? Probably not very much, other than maybe proving reviews are pointless, and people should just go about listening to whatever they like. F.. everybody else.
The only thing that matters is what you think.
Agree, I always take the reviews with a big grain of salt. It did go really bad with the BGVP DM6 reviews and threads (hated that hizz around 8k). But it did go really well with the A12t and Z1r, actually better than expected on those. But I tried the Z1r before reading the reviews, so I went there knowing a bit of what was coming, if it was totally different, that would mean the tastes of the reviewer were different than mine. Sony M9 I went completely blind and was completely surprised, amazing if you can get on a deal for around $1000, hard to beat for me. For $1299, I think is complicated due to the range of options increasing exponentially.

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #103 of 3,155
I'm of the same camp regarding the Z1R & M9. Read some not so great stuff about the Z1R's midrange, but purchased anyway... Enjoyed it reasonably well for a while, but always felt that something was missing (the mids!). Finally, after much hemming & hawing, bought the M9 as well. Got it for under 1K on AccessoryJack, and it got to me in 2 days (splurged for expedited with the cash saved from lower price). It impressed me right away with the significantly better coherency, and midrange presence (vocals sound night & day better on the M9). The only trade-off has been the lack of DD impact, but I'm actually adjusting to the cleaner bass presentation of the M9. It's actually very good for an all BA IEM.

Oh...... and then there's the issue of comfort! The M9 is so comfy I totally forget it's in my ears. As others have mentioned, once you land on the right set of tips, and realize that it just takes a gentle seating to fit properly, the sound field positively balloons in space, layering, depth, instrument placement, etc.

Out of curiosity, I have purchased a 2nd-hand set of 64 Audio U12T, and am sitting here wondering if it will be able to better the M9 very much. I would hope so, considering the price differential and driver count, and all I've read about it, but I'd not be surprised if the M9 holds its own.

BTW, if anyone is looking to try a Z1R for a good price, check out mine for sale!

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #104 of 3,155
I'm of the same camp regarding the Z1R & M9. Read some not so great stuff about the Z1R's midrange, but purchased anyway... Enjoyed it reasonably well for a while, but always felt that something was missing (the mids!). Finally, after much hemming & hawing, bought the M9 as well. Got it for under 1K on AccessoryJack, and it got to me in 2 days (splurged for expedited with the cash saved from lower price). It impressed me right away with the significantly better coherency, and midrange presence (vocals sound night & day better on the M9). The only trade-off has been the lack of DD impact, but I'm actually adjusting to the cleaner bass presentation of the M9. It's actually very good for an all BA IEM.

Oh...... and then there's the issue of comfort! The M9 is so comfy I totally forget it's in my ears. As others have mentioned, once you land on the right set of tips, and realize that it just takes a gentle seating to fit properly, the sound field positively balloons in space, layering, depth, instrument placement, etc.

Out of curiosity, I have purchased a 2nd-hand set of 64 Audio U12T, and am sitting here wondering if it will be able to better the M9 very much. I would hope so, considering the price differential and driver count, and all I've read about it, but I'd not be surprised if the M9 holds its own.

BTW, if anyone is looking to try a Z1R for a good price, check out mine for sale!
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I heard the bass on the Z1R was handled by a BA and the mids and highs were a DD. Which I know is ass backwards but that’s why I found it to be odd. Is that true?

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #105 of 3,155
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I heard the bass on the Z1R was handled by a BA and the mids and highs were a DD. Which I know is ass backwards but that’s why I found it to be odd. Is that true?
The Z1R has a DD woofer, BA midrange and DD supertweeter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back