Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jun 29, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #46 of 3,172
I have exactly one IEM on my get list and that is the M9. I have to grow a little more sack to drop a grand on the international version. Still, I want them verrry much.
You just lost an amazing opportunity, as I sold mines almost new, for a fraction of the price. :)

BTW, www.addictedtoaudio.com.au has a really good sale running this weekend, if you can get the to send international will be a good op.

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #47 of 3,172
Jul 15, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #49 of 3,172
Got the M9s at the EOFY sale at A2A. Woo!

Impressions:

- I like the bass. It honestly doesn't sound very much like a BA, let alone a 5BA earphone. Much more to my taste compared to the Andromeda (which I felt was anaemic in that department). However, a bit short compared to the Polaris (1st gen, don't get me started with the 2nd gen) in terms of punch but better bass layering.
- Compared to the Polaris I had, much better highs extension, more roomy-feeling as a result. Does female vocals a fair bit better too. Overall, a marked improvement in everything except bass punch.
- No, it's not better than the Z1R. But then again, I got it for less than half of the price of the Z1R. And, comfort is actually a thing here. The monstrosity which is the Z1R was clearly not designed with comfort in mind.
- I borrowed my RHA MA750s which I sold to a friend a while ago. Not even close - the M9 was much more open. My friend also had the same impression. Then again, this is like 10x the cost...…….
- Comfort is excellent with the Hybrids and Triple Comfort, but disgusting with the CA marshmallows. Probably because it tries to go in too deeply...…………(BTW, if anyone's interested, a pair of TCs are $9 AUD if you order them separately from authorised spare parts suppliers).
- Case is beautiful but ultimately not very functional - I lost the cable holder first day in! It's magnetic, but it's a very weak magnet. $25 AUD to replace one. Boo.
- Included cables are beautiful, but I don't dare use them as they're around $200-300 AUD to replace. A cheapo $20 MMCX cable until the MUC-M12NB1 comes in. For those wondering, most MMCX cables -should- fit as the opening is actually quite big. The problem is getting them out, especially if you have a short MMCX plug as the recess is quite deep and takes up real estate to pull with.
- Isolation is excellent. No surprise, considering its design actually conforms to your ear.
- Not hissy at all, unlike the Andromeda. Requires a fair bit more power too to drive. The Andromeda hissed on absolutely everything I tried at the time. M9, no problem. I even threw in some garbage BT adapter cables, and it didn't hiss either.
- Very lightweight - almost thought it was plastic until someone in another store I tried ages ago try to prove it was magnesium by trying to crush it. Well, I'm definitely not doing that to mine, but it indeed survived. The resin outer is a good touch - no more freezing IEMs in winters!

Main thing I'm now interested in is seeing if the MUC-M12NB1 fits, and if the sound is any good out of the ZX300. Besides that, I'm very happy with it. Glad I held back from buying it full price, then jumping on it once I saw the sale. $1700 to $1100 ain't nothing to scoff at.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #50 of 3,172

Impressions:

- I like the bass. It honestly doesn't sound very much like a BA, let alone a 5BA earphone. Much more to my taste compared to the Andromeda (which I felt was anaemic in that department). However, a bit short compared to the Polaris (1st gen, don't get me started with the 2nd gen) in terms of punch but better bass layering.
- Compared to the Polaris I had, much better highs extension, more roomy-feeling as a result. Does female vocals a fair bit better too. Overall, a marked improvement in everything except bass punch.
- No, it's not better than the Z1R. But then again, I got it for less than half of the price of the Z1R. And, comfort is actually a thing here. The monstrosity which is the Z1R was clearly not designed with comfort in mind.
- I borrowed my RHA MA750s which I sold to a friend a while ago. Not even close - the M9 was much more open. My friend also had the same impression. Then again, this is like 10x the cost...…….
- Comfort is excellent with the Hybrids and Triple Comfort, but disgusting with the CA marshmallows. Probably because it tries to go in too deeply...…………(BTW, if anyone's interested, a pair of TCs are $9 AUD if you order them separately from authorised spare parts suppliers).
- Case is beautiful but ultimately not very functional - I lost the cable holder first day in! It's magnetic, but it's a very weak magnet. $25 AUD to replace one. Boo.
- Included cables are beautiful, but I don't dare use them as they're around $200-300 AUD to replace. A cheapo $20 MMCX cable until the MUC-M12NB1 comes in. For those wondering, most MMCX cables -should- fit as the opening is actually quite big. The problem is getting them out, especially if you have a short MMCX plug as the recess is quite deep and takes up real estate to pull with.
- Isolation is excellent. No surprise, considering its design actually conforms to your ear.
- Not hissy at all, unlike the Andromeda. Requires a fair bit more power too to drive. The Andromeda hissed on absolutely everything I tried at the time. M9, no problem. I even threw in some garbage BT adapter cables, and it didn't hiss either.
- Very lightweight - almost thought it was plastic until someone in another store I tried ages ago try to prove it was magnesium by trying to crush it. Well, I'm definitely not doing that to mine, but it indeed survived. The resin outer is a good touch - no more freezing IEMs in winters!

Main thing I'm now interested in is seeing if the MUC-M12NB1 fits, and if the sound is any good out of the ZX300. Besides that, I'm very happy with it. Glad I held back from buying it full price, then jumping on it once I saw the sale. $1700 to $1100 ain't nothing to scoff at.
Well done! I got mine from them too, but not on the latest deal, still lost 300AUD on that.
Anyway, You echoed my experience on another post. For a similar price as Andro, this is a no brainer. For 600 lesd than Andro, this is cheap as hell for what you get.

Jul 15, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #51 of 3,172

Impressions:

Excellent write-up! I can't sing the praises of the M9 enough. It's a spectacular IEM and it really doesn't get the attention it deserves. Anyone considering a Campfire Audio IEM is a doing a disservice to themselves if they don't also consider the IER-M9 or even the M7.

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #52 of 3,172
Excellent write-up! I can't sing the praises of the M9 enough. It's a spectacular IEM and it really doesn't get the attention it deserves. Anyone considering a Campfire Audio IEM is a doing a disservice to themselves if they don't also consider the IER-M9 or even the M7.
overshadowed by Z1R lol

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #53 of 3,172
overshadowed by Z1R lol
They appeal to different groups. Z1R is very much a colored, exciting hifi-esque sound meant to really cater to the audiophile market. The M9 and M7 are first and foremost Sony’s attempt to take some market share in the stage monitor scene from the traditional CIEM manufacturers, and are therefore pretty neutral in comparison. Both have their strengths and weaknesses and both cater to different parties so I’d hardly consider it overshadowing.

Jul 16, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #54 of 3,172
overshadowed by Z1R lol
I’ve seen mixed reviews on the Z1R though. No such thing on the M9. Plus the Z1R is a whole other price bracket.

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #55 of 3,172
overshadowed by Z1R lol

Definitely - everywhere I went in HK, sales staff would insist on the Z1R over the M9.

If not for the comfort factor, the Z1R overshadows it. Buuut, since I use IEMs over 8 hours a day, I kinda need something that doesn't hurt in a while.

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #56 of 3,172
Definitely - everywhere I went in HK, sales staff would insist on the Z1R over the M9.

If not for the comfort factor, the Z1R overshadows it. Buuut, since I use IEMs over 8 hours a day, I kinda need something that doesn't hurt in a while.
Of course sales staff are gonna recommend the flagship over a “lesser” model anyday. Their job is to make money, whether or not the TOTL is actually better.

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #58 of 3,172

OK...now I need a Z1R in M9 form....make it happen Sony :)
or EX1000 in M9 form

Jul 16, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #59 of 3,172
OK...now I need a Z1R in M9 form....make it happen Sony :)
or EX1000 in M9 form
As it currently stands the former would be not possible. The Z1R is entirely dependent on that 12mm DD and there’s simply no way to shove that into an M9 shell. You would essentially need a much smaller DD (which Sony have their qualms about, DD diaphragm size is very important to them) in order to fit that form factor.

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #60 of 3,172
z1r with a good fit would be a killer IEM. Because the sound is one of the best around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back