Sony IER-M7 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #61 of 128
Exactly, the difference in sound is primarily due to the fact that balanced outputs of most DAPs have higher power output and lower THD. If both single ended and balanced outputs of a DAP had identical specs, they would likely not sound different.

Dec 27, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #62 of 128
Okay thanks for the input. I didn't think there would be a significant improvement. Maybe some subjective differences but not that much better. Certainly not enough to warrant purchasing another DAC or going to a DAP just for the balanced input.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #63 of 128
Same story with the M9. If you shove them in too deep in a way that creates a suction effect when you take them out then everything relating to SQ will suffer. The M7/9 are IEMs that like to be snug in your ear but there's a fine line between too much and too little and a big difference in sound sig with each.

Purchased a pair of M7s a couple days back and picked it up yesterday. I initially noticed that the sound signature was a bit different from the demo unit, my unit having a bit brighter mids and less bass. I initially thought burn-in but then again, BA drivers.

After tip-rolling today, I just wanted to echo these remarks.

Using an M, being my standard on other IEMs, I get a good seal and bass is actually quite neutral with good subbass extension but not enough impact for my personal preferences. Additionally, my concha begins to sore after extended use (2 hour flight today). I concluded that insertion was a bit too deep.

Trying out L, I also achieved a good seal albeit shallower. Bass is a lot stronger but vocals are more distance and treble becomes a bit shrill in certain songs.

Finally trying out ML (in between), tonality is perfect, exactly what I wanted from the M7s. BUT seal seems hard to achieve, for some reason it gets pushed out, maybe air pressure. With some maneuvering, I find the seal though with more hassle than the other tips.

Trying out the best tip size for these IEMs is CRUCIAL, moreso than others.

I hope to write a review or more detailed impressions after a thorough listen on better gear since I’ve been moslty using them straight out an iPhone 6 and a Macbook Pro.

Dec 30, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #64 of 128
Purchased a pair of M7s a couple days back and picked it up yesterday. I initially noticed that the sound signature was a bit different from the demo unit, my unit having a bit brighter mids and less bass. I initially thought burn-in but then again, BA drivers.

After tip-rolling today, I just wanted to echo these remarks.

Using an M, being my standard on other IEMs, I get a good seal and bass is actually quite neutral with good subbass extension but not enough impact for my personal preferences. Additionally, my concha begins to sore after extended use (2 hour flight today). I concluded that insertion was a bit too deep.

Trying out L, I also achieved a good seal albeit shallower. Bass is a lot stronger but vocals are more distance and treble becomes a bit shrill in certain songs.

Finally trying out ML (in between), tonality is perfect, exactly what I wanted from the M7s. BUT seal seems hard to achieve, for some reason it gets pushed out, maybe air pressure. With some maneuvering, I find the seal though with more hassle than the other tips.

Trying out the best tip size for these IEMs is CRUCIAL, moreso than others.

I hope to write a review or more detailed impressions after a thorough listen on better gear since I’ve been moslty using them straight out an iPhone 6 and a Macbook Pro.
Go smaller! I used the LL hybrid tips for like 10 months before I truly started playing around with tips out of frustration. I ended up going from the LL all the way down to the M. You get the best sound with a deep insertion, but only if you can do it without creating a vacuum suction like seal! Which is why using the smallest tip possible is paramount! Keep going down, I promise you'll be surprised!

Dec 30, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #65 of 128
Go smaller! I used the LL hybrid tips for like 10 months before I truly started playing around with tips out of frustration. I ended up going from the LL all the way down to the M. You get the best sound with a deep insertion, but only if you can do it without creating a vacuum suction like seal! Which is why using the smallest tip possible is paramount! Keep going down, I promise you'll be surprised!

I actually started with smaller but my problem is the shell of the IEM having contact with my medium Asian (small?) ears. It gets quite a bit sore after a while. I will give smaller than M another try though!

Jan 1, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #66 of 128
I actually started with smaller but my problem is the shell of the IEM having contact with my medium Asian (small?) ears. It gets quite a bit sore after a while. I will give smaller than M another try though!

@maricius,

I suggest looking into Periodic Audio Hydrogen Silicone Single Flange Tips, either Medium or Large should work for you.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #67 of 128
Okay thanks for the input. I didn't think there would be a significant improvement. Maybe some subjective differences but not that much better. Certainly not enough to warrant purchasing another DAC or going to a DAP just for the balanced input.

@mityfang,

Just my 2 cents, more often than not, balanced plugs just provide a stronger audio signal & in some cases, depending on source, will also provide a lower noise floor but subjective to your hearing & how you perceive sound.

Jan 17, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #69 of 128
Hi. I currently own a brainwavz b400. According to crinacle's graphs, the b400 and ier-m7 have similar mids with more sub bass and and more extension in the highs. I really like the b400's sound signature. Do you think the ier-m7 is an upgrade over the b400? Also, how do the ier-m7 compare to other iems in the under 500$ range? like the fearless s8 freedom, fiio fh5, fiio fa7, fiio fh5, dmg dm7, audiosense t800, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated as the sony iems don't have that many reviews.

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #70 of 128
Hi. I currently own a brainwavz b400. According to crinacle's graphs, the b400 and ier-m7 have similar mids with more sub bass and and more extension in the highs. I really like the b400's sound signature. Do you think the ier-m7 is an upgrade over the b400? Also, how do the ier-m7 compare to other iems in the under 500$ range? like the fearless s8 freedom, fiio fh5, fiio fa7, fiio fh5, dmg dm7, audiosense t800, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated as the sony iems don't have that many reviews.

Hi @NoobRadish,

Great handle by the way, anyway, as an IER M7 long time user & proponent, the only IEMs I can comment on are the Fiio though I have the Fearless S6Pro & when budget allows, considering the S8 Pro...
Honestly, subjectively & personally, with any IEM, the main issue is synergy with your source & what kind of music you listen to as well as what are your sonic preferences...

Comparing on a technical level to Fiio IEMs & using the S6Pro as a baseline since I've been told the difference in two drivers & tuning does help but all depends on personal taste...IER M7 is a very good all rounder though it does need a good source to really shine, which ironically, in my opinion, rules out Sony DAPs as personally, I don't think ANY of the IER Series has good synergy with Sony DAPs or AK DAPs but that's just me...with most other DAPs being fine to okay but then your mileage will definitely vary.
For this reason, demos are always recommended in any case.

For similar money, depending on sonic preferences, IT 04 is a more dynamic choice with wider staging & clarity but also offers an intimacy most other IEMs don't have, regardless of price...saying that, I really like & enjoy both...

As a final note, subjectively & personally, I wouldn't put too stock in charts, measurements, graphs, etc as while they can be helpful, they don't always translate to reality...

Jan 18, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #71 of 128

I've sadly not heard any of the IEMs you've mentioned. However, there were comparisons with the t800 posted in that thread. From what I recall reading, if both stock, the M7 beats the t800. If the t800 is given aftermarket tips and an upgrade cable, they are supposedly comparable with preference being the key deciding factor from that point.

If you subscribe to crin's impressions (I think he has a preference for neutral–v shaped sound signatures), he's ranked the b400, t800, and some of the Fiios. He rates the S8 slightly higher than the M7 but according to his review, the S8 is more v shaped while the M7 is more warm-neutral.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #72 of 128
Hi @NoobRadish,

Great handle by the way, anyway, as an IER M7 long time user & proponent, the only IEMs I can comment on are the Fiio though I have the Fearless S6Pro & when budget allows, considering the S8 Pro...
Honestly, subjectively & personally, with any IEM, the main issue is synergy with your source & what kind of music you listen to as well as what are your sonic preferences...

Comparing on a technical level to Fiio IEMs & using the S6Pro as a baseline since I've been told the difference in two drivers & tuning does help but all depends on personal taste...IER M7 is a very good all rounder though it does need a good source to really shine, which ironically, in my opinion, rules out Sony DAPs as personally, I don't think ANY of the IER Series has good synergy with Sony DAPs or AK DAPs but that's just me...with most other DAPs being fine to okay but then your mileage will definitely vary.
For this reason, demos are always recommended in any case.

For similar money, depending on sonic preferences, IT 04 is a more dynamic choice with wider staging & clarity but also offers an intimacy most other IEMs don't have, regardless of price...saying that, I really like & enjoy both...

As a final note, subjectively & personally, I wouldn't put too stock in charts, measurements, graphs, etc as while they can be helpful, they don't always translate to reality...

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately right now I'm just using my samsung s10e phone to drive the iems. I thought I should spend more money on a good iem and buy a good source only sometime in the future. The IT 04 does sounds like a good choice. However isolation is a top priority for me. So I'm afraid that the vents in hybrids will lead to less than stellar isolation. Otherwise I would definitely go the hybrid route for a more weighty sub bass presence.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #73 of 128
I've sadly not heard any of the IEMs you've mentioned. However, there were comparisons with the t800 posted in that thread. From what I recall reading, if both stock, the M7 beats the t800. If the t800 is given aftermarket tips and an upgrade cable, they are supposedly comparable with preference being the key deciding factor from that point.

If you subscribe to crin's impressions (I think he has a preference for neutral–v shaped sound signatures), he's ranked the b400, t800, and some of the Fiios. He rates the S8 slightly higher than the M7 but according to his review, the S8 is more v shaped while the M7 is more warm-neutral.

From what I've been reading, the t800 is too V shaped. otherwise I would have bought that and saved some money. I usually listen to music for many hours at a time. So I want a smooth sounding iem. In another thread I was suggested the S8 freedom as it has almost the same frequency response as the b400 but with added sub bass and more sparkle in the treble. Only issue is that if I get the S8 and don't like it, linsoul charges a 35% restocking fee. So, I would rather buy off amazon. if the S8 had a warm-neutral signature, I would have pulled the trigger.

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #74 of 128
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately right now I'm just using my samsung s10e phone to drive the iems. I thought I should spend more money on a good iem and buy a good source only sometime in the future. The IT 04 does sounds like a good choice. However isolation is a top priority for me. So I'm afraid that the vents in hybrids will lead to less than stellar isolation. Otherwise I would definitely go the hybrid route for a more weighty sub bass presence.

Hi @NoobRadish,

Nothing wrong with the Samsung phones for audio quality as far as I'm aware though I have no personal experience with them so can't say for sure...so you don't necessarily need to buy a separate DAP if you don't need to.

Anyway, this isn't a dig but obviously you haven't heard many IEMs & you're going by what others say but those vents as you call them hardly impact...if any isolation...on IEMs designed this way.

As a side note, personally, I think no isolation in IEMs is kind of pointless though saying that, I only have two IEMs which offer no isolation to outside noise whatsoever but then those are an open design, not closed & only one of those I have used on the go consistently for various reasons...
I also have sensitive hearing so unless ambient noise is ridiculously loud & no music is playing, I usually don't hear my surroundings at all...period & this is at low to moderate volume, usually 20 to 40 % lower than what most others listen at with the IT 04, among others.

Hybirds don't always reach sub bass levels & is more often than not track & genre dependant...

As a final note, regardless of IEM design, weighty sub bass is only achieved by way of two conditions :

1. IEM tuning reaches sub bass level
2. Good Isolation, Fit & Seal on Proper Ear Tip Selection

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #75 of 128
Have any of you tried upgrade cables with the M7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back