Sony IER-M7 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 128
I really am keen to try M7/M9 but how to justify M9 being almost double the price of M7

@Focux,

There is no blanket justification, all depends on you, personal preference & what you preceive as value.

As a side note, you can always be kiasu & get both though personally & subjectively, I find the M 9 a more fancy looking, tuned more for higher frequencies than M 7, I rather the M 7 for the pro audio reference tuning.

Just my humble two cents.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 128
Hi @CoryGillmore,

If possible, I would suggest extensive demos before you make your decision, often times, reading doesn't tell you much about how you yourself will precieve the sound which makes a lot of difference.
Not against recommendations, have done that myself on many occasion but I always trust my own judgement, especially ears when it comes down the final decision.
Also, what is important to remember is what your expectations are?
Speaking from my own extensive demos, a lot of fun can be had with the M7 though yes, this is subjective & personal...
Other factors involve source quality, DAP &/or otherwise involved, etc.

Since you are in the US, there are countless meets, Canjams, etc for you to attend, even Sony has their own dedicated outlets for you to experience the IER series for yourself.
Either way, it wouldn't be hard to demo.
Count yourself lucky where you have these options, in most other countries, it is incredibly difficult to demo certain gear as well as there being a no return policy.

As a final note, I am not aiming to convince you of anything, just putting down my humble two cents.
Whatever you choose, don't forget to enjoy the experience...

Thanks my dude. But yeah I actually received my M9 today! I’m in love with these things! Dry glad I got them at this point. I’ve never in my life heard treble like this. And I was worried for nothing over the bass because it’s fantastic as well!

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #18 of 128
Thanks my dude. But yeah I actually received my M9 today! I’m in love with these things! Dry glad I got them at this point. I’ve never in my life heard treble like this. And I was worried for nothing over the bass because it’s fantastic as well!

Hi @CoryGillmore,

The important thing is you are happy !

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #19 of 128
@Focux,

There is no blanket justification, all depends on you, personal preference & what you preceive as value.

As a side note, you can always be kiasu & get both though personally & subjectively, I find the M 9 a more fancy looking, tuned more for higher frequencies than M 7, I rather the M 7 for the pro audio reference tuning.

Just my humble two cents.

wah hahaha cannot la

if kiasu, then wallet hole big big wor~

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #20 of 128
Hey @Focux,

At least don't have to worry about being kuncheong either then which is the running joke on headfi, either way, you have to apologise to your wallet.

Stick with M 7 & you should be more than fine.

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #21 of 128
Hey @Focux,

At least don't have to worry about being kuncheong either then which is the running joke on headfi, either way, you have to apologise to your wallet.

Stick with M 7 & you should be more than fine.

i agree with u on the M7 part,

thing is i have a 1650 and was hoping to acquire something better but yet,

fairly valued (i know this is somewhat unrealistic in this hobby =/ )

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #23 of 128
Hi @Focux,

In answer to both your posts, the 'fun' part is it is all subjective & personal so only thing I can suggest is demo as much as possible in your allotted budget, also depending on what currency you might be using, better not to err on the side to be kuncheong or kiasu in looking for 'something better' but perhaps the better option is to look for something suitable for you.

I don't suppose you have cables to roll with which you can use for a demo to see if any suit the M7 over either stock cables?

Jan 16, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #24 of 128
@CoryGillmore do u think there might be cables which can improve the M7 to make it come close to M9?
Man I highly doubt it my dude. I have not heard the M7 though so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. From what I hear though, the M9 has better treble than the M7 and that has to be because of the magnesium "super tweeter" in the M9. I don't think you'll match that with a cable upgrade.

Just get the M9 my dude! Amazon has this thing called "credit" and all you have to do is promise you'll pay them back and they just send you free crap! Haha all kidding aside though I did do a 12 month finance on the M9 as I can't pay cash for a headphone like that. I got the international version which only has a seller warranty and it was $1200 as opposed to $1500. Honestly man I couldn't be happier with this M9. See I'm the type of guy who if I don't get the "best" version of something I'll regret it later and end up buying the "better" version later on anyway. For example if I'd got the M7 it would have bothered the hell out of me seeing all the rave reviews the M9 is getting and I would've ended up returning the M7 and getting the M9.

Accessoryjack has the M9 for $1100, same as Massdrop.

Jan 17, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #25 of 128
Man I highly doubt it my dude. I have not heard the M7 though so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. From what I hear though, the M9 has better treble than the M7 and that has to be because of the magnesium "super tweeter" in the M9. I don't think you'll match that with a cable upgrade.

Just get the M9 my dude! Amazon has this thing called "credit" and all you have to do is promise you'll pay them back and they just send you free crap! Haha all kidding aside though I did do a 12 month finance on the M9 as I can't pay cash for a headphone like that. I got the international version which only has a seller warranty and it was $1200 as opposed to $1500. Honestly man I couldn't be happier with this M9. See I'm the type of guy who if I don't get the "best" version of something I'll regret it later and end up buying the "better" version later on anyway. For example if I'd got the M7 it would have bothered the hell out of me seeing all the rave reviews the M9 is getting and I would've ended up returning the M7 and getting the M9.

Accessoryjack has the M9 for $1100, same as Massdrop.

thinking between SD5, M9 and FitEar Parterre (cheapest)

Jan 17, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #26 of 128
Hi @Focux,

In answer to both your posts, the 'fun' part is it is all subjective & personal so only thing I can suggest is demo as much as possible in your allotted budget, also depending on what currency you might be using, better not to err on the side to be kuncheong or kiasu in looking for 'something better' but perhaps the better option is to look for something suitable for you.

I don't suppose you have cables to roll with which you can use for a demo to see if any suit the M7 over either stock cables?

haha where i am now,

there isn't any place to demo leh

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #28 of 128
thinking between SD5, M9 and FitEar Parterre (cheapest)

Hi @Focux,

Have that problem too unavailability with most things I like to demo which makes things more than sian sometimes but that's life.

Honestly, not to derail the thread but if Parterre is a good price for you, I would go with that.

Personally & subjectively, the Parterre would be the only one I consider real reference in the list though I will say I haven't heard SD5 but all reports that is meant to be good but as I have not heard it, can't comment beyond that.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #30 of 128
Hi @stormers,

Can't comment on the Xelento, have not tried it nor not interested in Beyerdynamic in the least so this will certainly be biased.

However, I have tried both M 7 (I own this) & SE 846.
This is highly personal & subjective but after extensive demos over the years, especially with the SE 846, I eventually picked the M 7 which personally has better overall sound across the spectrum & frequency range which is more 'true' to the music or sound source as the artist intended.
After all, M 7 is classed as monitoring IEMs, though I'm sure some will disagree.
Keep in mimd, source synergy matters with this IEM, as it does with the whole Sony IER M Series IEM range.
So any DAPs &/or sources which are neutral &/or flat will not play well with the M 7 in particular though this is very true with others in the IEM Series, especially with the IER M 9.
Astell & Kern, Sony DAPs (almost ironic) are among those DAPs which the M 7 will accentuate the DAPs neutral &/or flat tones, no matter what music you play so everything may sound 'lifeless' or at least unexciting...
Your mileage will vary, of course so a demo is highly recommended & cannot be overstated enough, especially with different sources.

Just curious, what are you upgrading from ?

Hope this all makes sense, feel free to ask more if you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back