Sony IER-M7 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #106 of 128
Does anybody experience a vacuum effect when inserting the M7? I just got the pair and one of my first impressions is that the vacuum effect is pretty prominent.
Some vacuum is a good thing, IMHO - it helps keep the M7 solidly in your ears. To get the right amount, I push the IEMs into my ears until I get vacuum seal, then lift up on the M7's tab to reduce the vacuum slightly.

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #108 of 128
Hello all,

I've been trawling the depths of Head-Fi in regards to the M7s and M9s (and let's be real here, the Z1Rs and Victor's FW10000s). COVID restrictions are making auditions...difficult. As is product availability. So the reality is, I'm looking at M7s or M9s.

What I'm not finding much of, is reference to users driving these straight from their source. I'd be mainly driving these from an Xperia phone, AE-7 sound card, Kawai digital piano or various PMPs including tablets and very occasionally my fleet of venerable MD units. They won't be used in a commuting environment, but small size and portability are paramount.

They're intended to replace my long serving and much loved Sony MDR-D66s. They have been in service for almost two decades. Yes, there have been better 'phones, but I *like* these ones. The fact that I'm here asking for guidance on a new set feels almost treasonous. But what has brought me to this point is that the M7s are on sale for $499, $300 off RRP and that means they are currently ONE THIRD the cost of the M9s. Straight up cost is not really a factor, but I'm a sucker for performance/$. If the M7s are really 80% of the M9s for 33% of the outlay, mate what a bargain? Sajid, your little review almost convinced me to purchase without even posting here!

I was just listening to some Georges Bizet, and then some Trent Reznor immediately followed on my playlist. The rest of what I listen to lies in between. Wide and varied, I guess you could say, are my tastes.

TL;DR
Jack of all trades, light and mobile. 1/3rd the cost of M9s. No PHA or DAC. M7s, yay or nay?

Appreciate your time.

M

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #109 of 128
The M7 is waaay under appreciated. By use of the transitive property, the M9 is considered a great value at $1k, and the M7 is only marginally off from the M9. So at $500, the M7 is quite the bargain.

My M7 is very versatile for me; it is reasonably isolating, it scales well, and it handles EQ very well. With just a bit of EQ, my M7 sounds exactly as I want it, and actually has a satisfying level of bass.

I have an Sony Xperia 1ii with a headphone jack, but I've never used it since all of my IEMs are configured for balanced connections. For just about $100, snag yourself a Qudelix 5k bluetooth DAC - outstanding sound quality, native EQ, and enough power to drive the M7.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #110 of 128
Hello TheRealDz,

Thank you very much - especially since I realised I posted in the Impressions thread. I'll cop that one, that's what I get for having fifty tabs open at once on the subject. :)

I have been doing more reading and I might go one better than a DAC on my phone and get a dedicated DMP. Things have certainly changed in this scene, for the better.

Again, thanks. I'll not derail the Impressions thread further!

M

Jul 8, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #111 of 128
Well, well. Some M7s with my name on them have rocked up.

As did a ZX507.

So much for *just* spending money on replacing some twenty year old headphones!

They have a very different sound to my D66s. (Best equivalent most would be familiar with I've found to be Grado's SR325s.) As mentioned, fit is very important with these things. That much I can attest to early on. They seem to produce their, "correct" sound with a fit that doesn't cause a vacuum, but are secure in your ear. To quote a certain cartoon Secret Agent, "Just the tip...!"

Thought I'd start unbalanced from the ZX507, listening to ripped CD--->FLAC albums, CD--->LPCM albums and Deezer Hi-fi streamed tracks.

Let's see how it goes!

M

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #112 of 128
I'm only a few hours in with the M7s but, damn, Sony done good.

I've switched to 4.4mm. The overall impression they create is the feeling that *I'm* the one singing. Then, each and every instrument has been spread out around me with an individual, direct channel to my brain.

No microphonics from the cable either. If you've ever used (at least older versions of) ER4s, you'll know!

I also used the 3.5mm cable and jumped on the digital piano. That was a treat.

Early indications say this is probably one of my best "blind" purchases for audio, ever. Very different to what I usually listen to, but really, really good.

M

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #113 of 128
Tiny bit of shine coming off. I can't quite work out if the housing is pressing against a part of my ears, or if the tips are the incorrect size. I've actually gone up a size to ML Hybrid Silicone, but I suspect it's an effect of the former. Probably getting 90 minutes of listening before it starts becoming noticeable.

Fingers crossed that it'll be something I don't notice after more use. It has been a billion years since I last used IEMs.

That aside, the M7s have otherwise pulled off the neat trick of disappearing and just leaving music.

M

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #114 of 128
Tiny bit of shine coming off. I can't quite work out if the housing is pressing against a part of my ears, or if the tips are the incorrect size. I've actually gone up a size to ML Hybrid Silicone, but I suspect it's an effect of the former. Probably getting 90 minutes of listening before it starts becoming noticeable.

Fingers crossed that it'll be something I don't notice after more use. It has been a billion years since I last used IEMs.

That aside, the M7s have otherwise pulled off the neat trick of disappearing and just leaving music.

M
How is the bass on M7?

Jul 10, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #115 of 128
How is the bass on M7?

It's different. I suspect that, for most people, if you didn't know these were BAs you probably wouldn't notice. They are very susceptible to correct fit to get the most out of them.

Once you have the fit sorted, they're very quick and surprisingly punchy. I'll look you dead in the eye and tell you, you can feel sub bass and I mean it. It doesn't hang around, but I couldn't describe these as thin.

I've popped on some of my favourite Pendulum tracks after you asked. I've been listening with no EQ tweaks until now and they do respond rather well to a bit of low end boost. I also put on two "top drop" tracks (Current Value - That Smile and, Document One - LSD) to which the M7s don't disgrace themselves. If you are a die hard DnB freak, give them an audition if you can. A Hybrid or pure DD setup will more than likely best them if you want chest (head?) shattering bass like you'd get at a Doof.

I hope that helps you mate. I've been out of the Head-Fi game for many a year and can't compare them to contemporary offerings.

Jul 10, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #116 of 128
It's different. I suspect that, for most people, if you didn't know these were BAs you probably wouldn't notice. They are very susceptible to correct fit to get the most out of them.

Once you have the fit sorted, they're very quick and surprisingly punchy. I'll look you dead in the eye and tell you, you can feel sub bass and I mean it. It doesn't hang around, but I couldn't describe these as thin.

I've popped on some of my favourite Pendulum tracks after you asked. I've been listening with no EQ tweaks until now and they do respond rather well to a bit of low end boost. I also put on two "top drop" tracks (Current Value - That Smile and, Document One - LSD) to which the M7s don't disgrace themselves. If you are a die hard DnB freak, give them an audition if you can. A Hybrid or pure DD setup will more than likely best them if you want chest (head?) shattering bass like you'd get at a Doof.

I hope that helps you mate. I've been out of the Head-Fi game for many a year and can't compare them to contemporary offerings.
Thank you. I would like to audition them first before buying one...but I am really interested to get a full BA iem. Dunno if Softears RSV will be a ood one...or should I just get a cheap GS Audio ST8B.

Jul 10, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #117 of 128
Not a worry at all, happy to help.

It'd be remiss of me to tell you to go ahead and buy these, "they're the best! etc." after only a few days of listening and not having any real idea of what else is around.

However, I bought these blind and just cannot complain about the sound. With one of the EQ Presets on my ZX-507, I've gone down the rabbit hole of rediscovering a band (Pendulum) I have not listened to for a long time. I honestly owe you for asking about the bass!

Now, this is an audio site, so if you bear with me while I waffle on perhaps I can do a better job of describing their bass. :wink:

All the other gear I own are DD. Fundamentally, you could say their bass is like a slow burn explosion. You get the boom followed by "everything else." The M7s deliver bass like an extremely fast burning explosion. I feel they hit super hard, but the the action is over almost as fast as it began.

Neither type of explosion is necessarily better than the other in isolation. Just different.

You could say that it's rolling thunder vs whip crack. I feel that's being unkind, but I'm lacking better analogies.

Bottom line so far is that I don't feel like I'm missing much, even with a flat EQ. That's what 99% of my listening has been to until now. If I push a few dB at the bottom end they're surprising.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #118 of 128
Not a worry at all, happy to help.

It'd be remiss of me to tell you to go ahead and buy these, "they're the best! etc." after only a few days of listening and not having any real idea of what else is around.

However, I bought these blind and just cannot complain about the sound. With one of the EQ Presets on my ZX-507, I've gone down the rabbit hole of rediscovering a band (Pendulum) I have not listened to for a long time. I honestly owe you for asking about the bass!

Now, this is an audio site, so if you bear with me while I waffle on perhaps I can do a better job of describing their bass. :wink:

All the other gear I own are DD. Fundamentally, you could say their bass is like a slow burn explosion. You get the boom followed by "everything else." The M7s deliver bass like an extremely fast explosion. I feel they hit super hard, but the the action is over almost as fast as it began.

Neither type of explosion is necessarily better than the other in isolation. Just different.

You could say that it's rolling thunder vs whip crack. I feel that's being unkind, but I'm lacking better analogies.

Bottom line so far is that I don't feel like I'm missing much, even with a flat EQ. That's what 99% of my listening has been to until now. If I push a few dB at the bottom end they're surprising.
I honestly thank you for taking time to explain the bass in such a elaborate way. I could really visualise that.

Jul 10, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #120 of 128
They do have a surprising amount of bass for a BA. Against my Z5 with its 16mm, it is no contest. The Z5 sounds like a full tower speaker or one with a subwoofer. Whereas the M7 sounds like a mini tower speaker with two or three 7" woofers. The result is the same; for most music, there is little difference. But on bass heavy music, the M7 simply doesn't move as much air (nor does it move air the same way, being BA).

I get a lot more use out my M7 than I do my Z5, if that tells you anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back