Sony IER-M7 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #31 of 128
I tried the IER-Z1R, M7, and M9. I liked the Z1R slightly better than the M9, and the M9 quite a bit more than the M7.
The M7 wasn't as clear as the M9. To me, the M9 and Z1R sound like if you combined the bass from a Solaris with the clarity of an Andromeda.

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #32 of 128
Hi @stormers,

Can't comment on the Xelento, have not tried it nor not interested in Beyerdynamic in the least so this will certainly be biased.

However, I have tried both M 7 (I own this) & SE 846.
This is highly personal & subjective but after extensive demos over the years, especially with the SE 846, I eventually picked the M 7 which personally has better overall sound across the spectrum & frequency range which is more 'true' to the music or sound source as the artist intended.
After all, M 7 is classed as monitoring IEMs, though I'm sure some will disagree.
Keep in mimd, source synergy matters with this IEM, as it does with the whole Sony IER M Series IEM range.
So any DAPs &/or sources which are neutral &/or flat will not play well with the M 7 in particular though this is very true with others in the IEM Series, especially with the IER M 9.
Astell & Kern, Sony DAPs (almost ironic) are among those DAPs which the M 7 will accentuate the DAPs neutral &/or flat tones, no matter what music you play so everything may sound 'lifeless' or at least unexciting...
Your mileage will vary, of course so a demo is highly recommended & cannot be overstated enough, especially with different sources.

Just curious, what are you upgrading from ?

Hope this all makes sense, feel free to ask more if you need.

Hope you have a great day !
Totally agree here. It's weird that my M9 sounds best from my Pioneer 300R using a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter than it does straight out of my ZX300. Don't get me wrong, the M9 and ZX300 is a fantastic pairing IMO, but the 300R with the M9 is just more enjoyable to me. And yes, I do believe it is a warmer player, which would coincide with what you're saying.

I would love to hear the M7 but from what I hear the M9 is the more fun of the two, which I find weird. You would think the cheaper model would be the less serious more fun model but I guess not.

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #33 of 128
Totally agree here. It's weird that my M9 sounds best from my Pioneer 300R using a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter than it does straight out of my ZX300. Don't get me wrong, the M9 and ZX300 is a fantastic pairing IMO, but the 300R with the M9 is just more enjoyable to me. And yes, I do believe it is a warmer player, which would coincide with what you're saying.

I would love to hear the M7 but from what I hear the M9 is the more fun of the two, which I find weird. You would think the cheaper model would be the less serious more fun model but I guess not.

Depends what you mean by fun, @CoryGillmore.

Appreciate the comments & observations.

It's really not weird at all, it's like when others say whatever head gear doesn't convey details from whatever player, especially if its pricey or high end, etc...

Sound is always personal & subjective, I would suggest listening to the M 7 if you haven't already to see whether you agree with the 'fun' observation.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #34 of 128
Hi @stormers,

Can't comment on the Xelento, have not tried it nor not interested in Beyerdynamic in the least so this will certainly be biased.

However, I have tried both M 7 (I own this) & SE 846.
This is highly personal & subjective but after extensive demos over the years, especially with the SE 846, I eventually picked the M 7 which personally has better overall sound across the spectrum & frequency range which is more 'true' to the music or sound source as the artist intended.
After all, M 7 is classed as monitoring IEMs, though I'm sure some will disagree.
Keep in mimd, source synergy matters with this IEM, as it does with the whole Sony IER M Series IEM range.
So any DAPs &/or sources which are neutral &/or flat will not play well with the M 7 in particular though this is very true with others in the IEM Series, especially with the IER M 9.
Astell & Kern, Sony DAPs (almost ironic) are among those DAPs which the M 7 will accentuate the DAPs neutral &/or flat tones, no matter what music you play so everything may sound 'lifeless' or at least unexciting...
Your mileage will vary, of course so a demo is highly recommended & cannot be overstated enough, especially with different sources.

Just curious, what are you upgrading from ?

Hope this all makes sense, feel free to ask more if you need.

thank you for the insights :)

I'm currently using SE846. Had to pass my Xelento because of sound isolation issue since I travel quite frequently.
Regarding the source, i wonder if it will go well with just phone DAC (LG in my case) or bluetooth dac (Fiio BTR3 or ES100). If it's too source dependent then it might be a bad match for me. My other DAP decided to quit on me and I haven't thought about replacing it yet.

Also, how is the size different between them? SE846 can sit flushed in my ear (kinda uncanny how well they fit in my ears) but the M7 looks big in picture.
At the moment, I need to valuate isolation and comfort as first priorities :)

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #37 of 128
thank you for the insights :)

I'm currently using SE846. Had to pass my Xelento because of sound isolation issue since I travel quite frequently.
Regarding the source, i wonder if it will go well with just phone DAC (LG in my case) or bluetooth dac (Fiio BTR3 or ES100). If it's too source dependent then it might be a bad match for me. My other DAP decided to quit on me and I haven't thought about replacing it yet.

Also, how is the size different between them? SE846 can sit flushed in my ear (kinda uncanny how well they fit in my ears) but the M7 looks big in picture.
At the moment, I need to valuate isolation and comfort as first priorities :)

Hi @stormers,

Personally & subjectively, everyone will be different but for me, there are no fit issues with either.
Hands down, where fit & comfort are concerned, the M 7 fits so well for me, they are almost better fit wise than the IT 04 & even the IT 03 especially since my IT 04 is generally my go to.
Not to mention, M 7 is so light & well fitted in the ear, sometimes I forget it's there especially after really long listening sessions...which do go over due to that fact.
Of course, the thing to note is good, well fitted tips make all the difference in comfort & isolation.
Considering how many tips come with the M 7 or any IER M Series IEM, the best fit & comfort, personally & subjectively, while there are a few supplied tips which work well, the best are the Comply 500 which are my go to for nearly all IEMs.
So as long as you can get a good seal, isolation is no problem.
M 7 is no bigger than SE 846, perhaps similar in size (don't own the 846 so can't directly compare) but the M 7 is perhaps a touch wider on the fin part which indicates left or right.
I believe part of the M 7 drivers extend to the 'fin' but it has been a while since I have seen the breakdown so can't say for certain.

Is it possible to use other cable with these? The manual I read online say "only supplied cables".

What the manual means, aside from the obvious, 'only use our cables so you spend more with us, as long as an aftermarket cable has good MMCX connectors, they will work no problem.
Subjectively & personally, iBasso, penon-official.com, VE Clan & Null Audio cables work well with M 7 though M 7's stock cable works well with IT 04, IT 01s, IT 01 as well.
Will they sound better or just different', all depends on you.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #38 of 128
Strikingly similar-sounding clone of the M7 is the 3BA Audio Technica E70s ($399 on Amazon or cheaper!)
Overall M7 is more refined with more weighty resonance, transience and better bass transparency as compared to the shorter decay of the E70s.
Upper mids are shoutier and treble is looser on the E70s (more forward on upper frequency) but on the M7 you get a more fluid tone which are non fatiguing at all while maintaining superb clarity and evenness (neutral upper frequency).
I can recommend the E70s if you are going on a budget and looking for a similar warm/balanced/musical signature with bass tightness and texture.

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #39 of 128
Strikingly similar-sounding clone of the M7 is the 3BA Audio Technica E70s ($399 on Amazon or cheaper!)
Overall M7 is more refined with more weighty resonance, transience and better bass transparency as compared to the shorter decay of the E70s.
Upper mids are shoutier and treble is looser on the E70s (more forward on upper frequency) but on the M7 you get a more fluid tone which are non fatiguing at all while maintaining superb clarity and evenness (neutral upper frequency).
I can recommend the E70s if you are going on a budget and looking for a similar warm/balanced/musical signature with bass tightness and texture.

Hi @James Shoegazer,

Interesting observations, as a long time user of the E 70 (3 years +) which I still have & really enjoy though it is taking a well deserved break for some time now though I still use it.
There are some similarities between the two (I also have the M7 & really enjoy this too) certainly & goes to show driver count doesn't mean a whole lot when it comes to how one hears sound as everyone is different.
Whether that extra driver makes a real world difference is subjective & open to interpretation.
But yes, it is as you say & I find, personally & subjectively, the M7 more 'natural' sounding though this is relative as E 70 in highs & bass response seem a touch clinical, in a good way.

From a more technical standpoint, given both are classed as Monitoring IEMs, it is interesting to hear how Audio Technica & Sony consider Sound Monitoring.

I will add my own humble opinion & say another more affordable option to consider if one can't swing for the E 70 is the Mackie MP 240 though all three are good choices but just focus on different areas in the frequency response.

Aug 24, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #40 of 128
I have the M7, and they sound great being driven by Ifi Nano IDSD Black Label. If not strapped to an old phone (using transparent rubber bands), I use a 12” USB 3 cable with an Isilencer 3 in the chain either to my Laptop or an old iPad using a CCK cable.

Aug 24, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #41 of 128
Westone has a different idea of how IEMs for monitoring should sound. It think I had a W30 at some point and it was tuned for only vocals, so it was mostly midrange. Good for monitoring vocals, terrible for listening to music.

Aug 25, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #42 of 128
The FR of m7 is the best match to my hrtf and preferences I've found yet.

It's an outstanding iem, but I can't get past the fit in my left ear. It just rests against one very sensitive part of my concha and nags me.

It really is a shame. I'm going to sell them I'm pretty sure but may buy custom tips for them if I decide to hang onto them.

They are very underrated IMO because of where they sit in the new Sony lineup. Younger sibling syndrome.

Aug 26, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #43 of 128
The FR of m7 is the best match to my hrtf and preferences I've found yet.

It's an outstanding iem, but I can't get past the fit in my left ear. It just rests against one very sensitive part of my concha and nags me.

It really is a shame. I'm going to sell them I'm pretty sure but may buy custom tips for them if I decide to hang onto them.

They are very underrated IMO because of where they sit in the new Sony lineup. Younger sibling syndrome.

Have you try shallow fitting the M7? It took me a few days to figure out the proper fitting. Basically, I use a larger Tip (LL) than normally and insert further away or just enough but also provide a seal.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #44 of 128
Have you try shallow fitting the M7? It took me a few days to figure out the proper fitting. Basically I use a larger Tip(LL) than normally and insert further away but also provide a seal.
Same story with the M9. If you shove them in too deep in a way that creates a suction effect when you take them out then everything relating to SQ will suffer. The M7/9 are IEMs that like to be snug in your ear but there's a fine line between too much and too little and a big difference in sound sig with each.

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #45 of 128
I've been deciding whether to buy an M7 or an M9 for a few days, since the Z1Rs spend too much on my budget. I mainly listen to instrumental music, especially jazz, solo piano, some electro, type Autechre, Boards of Canada, Plaid ... I'm a big crush on the EX1000 and I don't know to what extent one of these two models would be an improvement or just a complement.

Thank you very much in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back