Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Feb 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,861 of 2,773
Quote:
maybe it's just my ears or the music I'm listening to but I haven't heard a difference between 31hz at 0db and at 12db

Most of my listening time are spent with the Sony XBA 3. When I'm at home I use the MDR1r but coming from the IEM, I seem to miss a bit of presence in the sub bass region.

I only get that bass satisfaction after tweaking the EQ at 30hz on dbPowerAmp on my Sony Xperia. To me, I can definitely hear the difference... I listen to Rock, Metal, Classical, and occasionally some EDMs.

If you have Avril Lavigne - Unwanted in your library, try experimenting on the EQ. The song has good sub bass fills... 

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,862 of 2,773
just read about the velour pad "mod" - very curious about this as I don't really like the leather ones either (or pleather?).
does anyone have a picture of what it looks like? also didn't quite understand if the pad was attached the same way on all the models. I'd be interested in knowing about the non-BT/ANC version, just 1R.

thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #1,864 of 2,773
I was just about to pull the trigger on the 1rbt, but then I saw on the Sony site that it is "not compatible with ios6."  Say what?  That's an instant deal killer....

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=C1032819&fes=true&mdl=MDR1RBT

However, I see several other sites, and a few folks on this one, indicating no problem with ios6 iphones (and MacBooks).  I'd love to lose the cord with my iphone. 

I'm not sure who to believe here...  Suggestion?

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #1,865 of 2,773
that is an interesting thing to find... as this would be a deal killer for me as well and i've been thinking about these if they ever go on sale for $300 again.. answers to this would be great.. does it work with os6 or not?

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #1,867 of 2,773
I could only snap a few pictures with the iphone. Unfortunately, I don't have the 1R version, so I can't comment on whether it is possible to install the pads on it. On the 1RBT installation is as easy as installing it on Sony's 7506 or v6.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,868 of 2,773
Quote:
that is an interesting thing to find... as this would be a deal killer for me as well and i've been thinking about these if they ever go on sale for $300 again.. answers to this would be great.. does it work with os6 or not?

hey, where did you find the mdr-1rbt for $300?? aren't they normally retail at $400?? that is a redic discount!

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,870 of 2,773
I got to audition these headphones for 20 some minutes on a (quiet) mall, and I gotta say I was impressed, I didn't expect these to sound that good.

Alright, at first I though ewww the bass is too much, it drowns the whole espectrum, and it decayed somewhat slow, which is something I really disliked, but these cans are very EQ friendly, I got them to sound the way I like with minor EQ tweaks without the sound feeling altered or synthesised. A couple of db off of the bass and sub bass and a hint of gain on the 18khz region and I got them sounding very engaging.

They don't have let's say the clarity and refinement of my Sennheiser Momentum, but after EQuing them, they didn't feel muddy or like there was too much detail lost. Timbre felt somewhat natural and the midrange felt smooth.

I wish now that they included these with the Xperia Z like they did in the UK i think (I'm in Spain), it would be a great great addition to anyone's collection.

I auditioned them using my source, an A865 Walkman, also from Sony so I suspect somewhat of a synergy going on.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #1,871 of 2,773
If anyone haven't try using a good amp with them. Amping certainly help with the loose bass issues, this pair of headphones scale up very well for the price.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #1,873 of 2,773
Quote:
If anyone haven't try using a good amp with them. Amping certainly help with the loose bass issues, this pair of headphones scale up very well for the price.

It wasn't that I found the bass to be "loose".  There was simply too much bass for my taste.
Amped with an O2, and then with an Asgard; using a variety of recordings.

(Referring here to the plain MDR 1R with the plain cable.)

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,874 of 2,773
Quote:
It wasn't that I found the bass to be "loose".  There was simply too much bass for my taste.
Amped with an O2, and then with an Asgard; using a variety of recordings.

(Referring here to the plain MDR 1R with the plain cable.)

Not certain if you're a believer of burn-in however reports from here (and from my experience in having a 1 month demo/review), the 1Rs do require some time breaking in. I noticed that you had them for 3 days before returning them but don't know how much of that time was left breaking in.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #1,875 of 2,773
Quote:

Not certain if you're a believer of burn-in however reports from here (and from my experience in having a 1 month demo/review), the 1Rs do require some time breaking in. I noticed that you had them for 3 days before returning them but don't know how much of that time was left breaking in.

I'd agree with this. The bass was way to much for me at first, but gradually, it definitely lessened in impact. It's pretty much where I'd want it now (slightly elevated, but relatively polite).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back