Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Feb 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #1,891 of 2,773
I think they are pretty all rounder, but particularly good for acoustic and lighter (not bass reliant) electronic like electropop, electroclash because of the mid-band emphasis.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #1,892 of 2,773
I ended up returning my Momentums due to comfort issues. For the first 30 minutes they feel great, but I found myself constantly having to readjust them to relieve pressure points on the ear due to the small cup size.

So, I ordered some 1Rs from Amazon that should be here early next week. I demoed the 1RNC at the Sony store, but it was noisy and so I really only got to test their comfort. I don't believe either of my ears touched the drivers -- would I have noticed immediately if they did, or is it something that only becomes noticeable after longer listening sessions? Anyway, I'll report back next week on the sound.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #1,893 of 2,773
Quote:
I ended up returning my Momentums due to comfort issues. For the first 30 minutes they feel great, but I found myself constantly having to readjust them to relieve pressure points on the ear due to the small cup size.

So, I ordered some 1Rs from Amazon that should be here early next week. I demoed the 1RNC at the Sony store, but it was noisy and so I really only got to test their comfort. I don't believe either of my ears touched the drivers -- would I have noticed immediately if they did, or is it something that only becomes noticeable after longer listening sessions? Anyway, I'll report back next week on the sound.

When I had comfort issues with my M100s, I immediately noticed that my ears touched the drivers, and the irritation/annoyance got progressively worse the longer I wore them.

If you don't have ears against the drivers and your ear fits snuggly, you should be fine! :) when you first get them, try wearing them for 5ish hours. If you can do that without heavy discomfort, they should be fine. Uncomfortable headphones usually reveal themselves within the first 3 hours.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #1,900 of 2,773
Just got myself a pair of these too :) Not very well versed with headphones (I've always preferred speakers) but have decided to give them a go.

Previously used Goldring DR150s via my Xonar STX but these are far more comfortable. I found the DR150s got a bit itchy and uncomfortable after an hour or so, but these seem much better in that regard.

Sonically, it's open vs closed can so they sound quite different. I would say the DR150s are more neutral, but the MDR-1Rs have a warmer fuller sound.

I likes them :) eBay are swamped at the moment so you can pick them up easily for under £100 - bargain!

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #1,901 of 2,773
Has anyone tried pairing the MDR1r to a Fiio E11?
Although soundstage seems to improve drastically, I find the sub-bass a lot lesser compared to a stand-alone setup.
Fiio settings: EQ=0; Gain=1, Voltage=High Power
My source is the Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray.

I tried the 3rd Gen Ipod Nano as a source but it sounded a lot worse to me...

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,902 of 2,773
Just saying but the C&C BH is really good together with the mdr-1r, atleast for me.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,903 of 2,773
That's why I enjoy these so much. They are portable HD600s/circumaural ESW9s (so pretty much the portable I've been looking for all along).

He, this is getting more promising now. Just bought one from our local secondhand site for about €100 since many people got one for free with some smartphone and I figured I couldn't really go wrong.

It actually just arrived while typing this post, was expecting it tomorrow.

--
Had a little time to listen and I think it's very likable :)
Certainly on the warmer side of neutral and (still?) bit bloomy in the bass, but despite the laidback character there are lots of details in the sound and it does layer the sound pretty nice.
Could use a bit more top-end sparkle but I'll see how it turns out with some more use.
If the bass softens/tightens some and the highs open up, which I somewhat expect after too much time in this thread, I'll be a very happy user.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #1,905 of 2,773
Quote:
Can someone with these headphones please tell me how punchy good kicks are on them?

Adult supervision required when listening.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back