Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 14, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #859 of 2,773
Quote:

Now that I have them and I'm listening to them at the moment, even if the M100s hadn't come out, I wouldn't say these are bass heavy though. Denon D2000, Beyer DT770 Pro80, M-Audio Q40, etc. those ARE bass heavy!!! :p

These Sony's... man... I'm having a hard time leaving them on!! I thought it was my MP3s or source but on most/all of the songs they are just TOO forward and.. sound even shrill on some songs! Piercing to the point that I have to lower the volume even more and I don't even listen to music that loud. Don't know if owners can try this track:

Ben Jorgensen -- The Color of your Eyes

The Song going to the end gets a bit "crowded" (the production is not the best I would say! :wink:) but AB'ing with the Mad Dogs with Dog Pads, the Mad Dogs just sound fuller, more natural, great extension without sounding shrill! Tonally, the Mad Dogs are walking right over the MDRs. I know I still need to go a few weeks using the Sony's but... not sure if they are keepers yet! Maybe I'm liking the warm-ish, laid back sound a bit more? (having listened to the Mad Dogs and especially the Signature Pros a lot more these past few weeks)

That said, I find the MDR-1Rs to have good speed and they do resolve very good. Details are there! But... those highs... (could be boosted upper mids btw...)

Hahaha! I Think you & I have quite different ears :wink:. TO me the MDR-1Rs sound slow. As for MadDogs I've only tried it briefly (i.e. 15 mins) and it didn't thrill me until I had a heftier amp. I do agree that with an amp capable of driving the MadDogs, it does sound fuller and more natural. For Japan though, the MDR-1Rs are quite cheap as such I sort of see the MadDogs in a different class.

About bass, really? Do you think the D2000 hits the bass deeper? Maybe I need to listen to these headphones again. This is going by memory (and this is always dangerous :wink:) but I thought bass-wise they hit the same but the mids of the MDR-1Rs were more forward than the D2000. I wonder if the difference in mids could give the perception the D2000 has more bass.

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #860 of 2,773
Can anyone do a comparison between the MDR-1R and the beyerdynamic T70P? I have the T70P, I really enjoy them, especially the high end and when listening to acoustic, mandolin and banjo in bluegrass music, and female voices like Adele. But I find them lacking, not necessarily in the low end; however the could use a little more oomph. Maybe the are a little too mechanical/analytical sounding (to the best of my description). I am considering the MDR-1R as a possible replacement. If anyone can give a comparison particularly in the high and low regions it would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #861 of 2,773
Quote:
Can anyone do a comparison between the MDR-1R and the beyerdynamic T70P? I have the T70P, I really enjoy them, especially the high end and when listening to acoustic, mandolin and banjo in bluegrass music, and female voices like Adele. But I find them lacking, not necessarily in the low end; however the could use a little more oomph. Maybe the are a little too mechanical/analytical sounding (to the best of my description). I am considering the MDR-1R as a possible replacement. If anyone can give a comparison particularly in the high and low regions it would be greatly appreciated.

Not a whole lot of headphones that I've heard reproduces highs like the T70P.  The R1 sounds completely different.  To me, the T70P were sibilant with vocals and it fatigued me quite a bit.  But, the clarity in the treble was amazing.  R1's, actually have pretty good treble but it sounds totally different than the Beyer's for me.  No sibilance in vocals and it doesn't reach the high frequency regions like the Beyer's did for me.  It's less fatiguing but I still hear the clarity of instruments but not as well or defined.  For the bass, there's a clear difference.  The Sony's have mid-bass and the Beyer's were all sub-bass but it was with a low impact so it was hard to hear it.  I actually really liked the bass on the T70P.  It was very well defined and punchy sub-bass.  The gel pads help with bass if you haven't tried.  The Sony's will give you that oomph you're missing in the T70P without it overpowering anything else.  

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #864 of 2,773
Quote:
Not a whole lot of headphones that I've heard reproduces highs like the T70P.  The R1 sounds completely different.  To me, the T70P were sibilant with vocals and it fatigued me quite a bit.  But, the clarity in the treble was amazing.  R1's, actually have pretty good treble but it sounds totally different than the Beyer's for me.  No sibilance in vocals and it doesn't reach the high frequency regions like the Beyer's did for me.  It's less fatiguing but I still hear the clarity of instruments but not as well or defined.  For the bass, there's a clear difference.  The Sony's have mid-bass and the Beyer's were all sub-bass but it was with a low impact so it was hard to hear it.  I actually really liked the bass on the T70P.  It was very well defined and punchy sub-bass.  The gel pads help with bass if you haven't tried.  The Sony's will give you that oomph you're missing in the T70P without it overpowering anything else.  

Well said. I would quarrel slightly with the R1 not having sub bass, it is there with the right source. I prefer the R1 to the t70p, but if you like the characteristics of treble in the beyer, I do not believe the r1 is for you as it is smoother and not as high reaching presentation as DannyBai points out. If the bass is the only thing you feel the 70 lacks, perhaps consider a different source with more power. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #865 of 2,773
Well said. I would quarrel slightly with the R1 not having sub bass, it is there with the right source. I prefer the R1 to the t70p, but if you like the characteristics of treble in the beyer, I do not believe the r1 is for you as it is smoother and not as high reaching presentation as DannyBai points out. If the bass is the only thing you feel the 70 lacks, perhaps consider a different source with more power. 

I use a JDS Labs C421 amp with the T70P, which should supply enough power. I do enjoy the higher frequencies the t70p's produce, but sometimes I feel that they lack that musical/fun sound, if that makes sense. Would the excess highs be a result of this?

I really like hearing detail in the music, such as fingers moving across the guitar strings and other little subtleties in the music. Can the mdr-1r produce good detail in the music?

How do the mdr's sound amped?

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #866 of 2,773
Quote:

I agree with the sub-bass.  I've heard it but on rare occasion.  
Quote:
I use a JDS Labs C421 amp with the T70P, which should supply enough power. I do enjoy the higher frequencies the t70p's produce, but sometimes I feel that they lack that musical/fun sound, if that makes sense. Would the excess highs be a result of this?
I really like hearing detail in the music, such as fingers moving across the guitar strings and other little subtleties in the music. Can the mdr-1r produce good detail in the music?
How do the mdr's sound amped?

I think the R1's sound fine from the iPhone but amped they do shine more.  I've been listening to them tonight with the Bravo amp and Dragonfly dac.  This headphone has an impressive soundstage and amping it brings it to it's fullest.  At least this little tube amp does a great job.  I've also tested it with the O2 and ODAC and it sounds great.  I would assume the C421 would also sound great.  I hear plenty of details in music with the R1, but not sure if it's at the same level of the T70P.  I think you'll enjoy your music more with the R1, especially amped.  I'm not sure if it's more fun but it's definitely more lush and involving.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #867 of 2,773
I recommend you listen to the R1 in a store if you can. Sony Style stores ar popping up everywhere and they'll let you hook up your player there. 
If that is not available, I understand your need for input totally. 
The R1 is detailed enough for me. You can hear pretty far into the recording and it passed all the tests I use for that. Still, I agree with posters above form my personal experience with the 70p. The R1 is just a different sound signature. The c421 is nice amp. but perhaps its sound sig does not jive with the 70P or they need a stronger bass gripping amp if that is what you feel is missing. If you like your headphones, tuning the source may be a better option. 
Remember though, this is all personal opinion. One person's detail is another's brightness and one person's sub-bass is another's muddy boom. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back