Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Nov 2, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #631 of 2,773
Quote:
I'll say more about it after I finish the holiday update to the Buying Guide, but what I will say about it now is that, of the current crop of new closed, around-the-ear portables, the MDR-1R is the one I'd pick for more critical listening (versus the M-100, M4U 1, MOMENTUM, and UE6000). I find the MDR-1R's sound very well balanced; and though its not neutral, per se, it is among the most even-handed I've heard in the sub-$500 closed, portable over-ear category.

Interesting comments.  I'm listening to the M4U 1 now (through the latest Audirvana Plus w/Direct -> AQ D-Fly) and consider it to be a very "get out of the way of the music" type of 'phone.  I'd wager that a large group of audiophiles would dislike it as it doesn't romanticise content -- recording quality is conveyed rather than nullified -- but it's for this very pure, unfettered presentation coupled with an un-hyped frequency response that I would lump it into the neutral/reference category and an ideal product for critical listening.  Of course, the quoted statement could have been made solely within the context of portability and, in that, I would agree that the PSBs are better left at home.

Relavent: I have not heard the MDR-1R and, based on the comments made here, I am not actively seeking an audition per my own preferences.

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #632 of 2,773
Quote:
The MDR-1R has become my reference closed sub-$500 portable over-ear, and, for my preferences, its low bass response isn't something I've found lacking at all. As for its mid-bass, it does sound north of neutral to me, but not nearly enough (to my ears) to run the MDR-1R out of reference-type sound signature territory (especially for a closed headphone in its price range).

I'll say more about it after I finish the holiday update to the Buying Guide, but what I will say about it now is that, of the current crop of new closed, around-the-ear portables, the MDR-1R is the one I'd pick for more critical listening (versus the M-100, M4U 1, MOMENTUM, and UE6000). I find the MDR-1R's sound very well balanced; and though its not neutral, per se, it is among the most even-handed I've heard in the sub-$500 closed, portable over-ear category.

That it may be the most comfortable closed over-ear I've got certainly helps the MDR-1R earn a lot of ear time with me.

This is great to hear as I planned a "head to head" comparo between these guys, the M100s and the Mad Dogs! Now I'm almost convinced that the MDR-1Rs have more in common with the Mad Dogs than with the M100s (including comfort which in the Mad Dogs is great!!!)

Darn it!!! GO AHEAD AND SHIP MY MDRs ALREADY!!!!! >:frowning2:

Jude, have you tried MrSpeakers Mad Dogs?

Thanks.

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #633 of 2,773
BTW.... it's weird that Sony was touting these headphones as "bass" oriented for modern music. NO ONE is praising them for their bass but for their neutral-ish nature and comfort!

hmmmm... maybe Sony is getting back on the right track!

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #634 of 2,773
Quote:
BTW.... it's weird that Sony was touting these headphones as "bass" oriented for modern music. NO ONE is praising them for their bass but for their neutral-ish nature and comfort!

hmmmm... maybe Sony is getting back on the right track!

Well if M-100s and Momentums didn't come out, then the MDR-1R's would have been seen as a bass heavy headphone :wink:.

My 2 yen worth anyway.

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #636 of 2,773
Quote:

Well if M-100s and Momentums didn't come out, then the MDR-1R's would have been seen as a bass heavy headphone :wink:.

My 2 yen worth anyway.

LOL! Got ya! :wink:

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #637 of 2,773
I think Sony was struggling to sell their bass heavier new flagship BA based IEM's while they were developing these. This may have influenced them a bit, causing them to reduce the bass a bit for a more balanced sound.

While I would enjoy a bit more sub-bass volume I would not trade any other aspect of the 1R's signature to achieve it.

I am actually getting more and more impressed with the positioning of these and absolutely love these for the following genres classical orchestra, opera, choral, small piece ensembles, classic rock, acoustic music, jazz, folk, Celtic, country. They then do a good job for the bit of electronic oriented music I have that requires good sub-bass. I imagine if my main music preferences were this latter type of music I might want something with more bass, but in my case 95% of my music falls into that first group so I am pretty darn happy :).

I think I will have to start putting my review together...

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #638 of 2,773
Quote:
Appreciate the input, Jude!  AnakChan, can you comment on the comfort of the 1Rs and the M100s? 

I absolutely love the 1R comfort. Mentioned it quite a bit in my review :-

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-1r/reviews/7687

At least for my head, the 1Rs were way more comfortable than the M-100s out of the box. Over the weeks, M-100 have grown to be more and more comfortable - however I probably could have the 1Rs on my head the whole day whilst the M-100 maybe for about 4 hrs.

The 1Rs sound has grown on me. When I reviewed it I was listening to the M-100s and Momentums and felt the 1Rs were mild/mellow by comparison however, strangely, after review of the 1RBT, the 1R sound had grown on me more.

It's a pity I had to return the 1R series back to Sony as (we, a subset of Tokyo Head-Fi) had it on loan for only a month.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #640 of 2,773
Nov 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #641 of 2,773
It's MDR-1R thread, no? What else I would be talking about
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #644 of 2,773
Ok, with all that hype, good reviews, and me wanting around-ear comfortable and isolating headphones, I just took the plunge on some black MDR-1R on Sony's website (France), with a 7% discount (because I'm a student). I really like the silver and brown, but I'm more black (and red) so it would fit with all my stuff :)

It should receive these between the 9th and 15th according to them. Can't wait !
(By the way, I don't know if it is normal, but I can find some for 222€ shipping included, with those being at 250€ on Sony's website, and no less on any other website ; there is one feedback for the site selling those at 222, saying they are not fast, but no complain about fake, scam, or anything)

Edit : Oh, I forgot : Is it me, or has the driver size changed? I remember reading these were 50mm, but now I only read 40mm...

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #645 of 2,773
50mm driver is suppose to be mentioning mdr-1rNC

i wonder how is this sony mdr-1r compare to upcoming ath-ws99  which is using 50mm driver
bit regret it coz i just pre order mdr-1r before have a chance to read the ws99 review or hear the demo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back