Sony CD3000 vs today's closed cans
Dec 3, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #31 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Find !! Casque SONY MDR CD3000 CD 3000 - Rare Headphones !! on eBay International Market, with worldwide deals on items in all your top categories

It is much less rare than that, although the prices seem to go higher and higher.

Thanks for the link, I'll keep an eye on this deal and may place a bid
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #32 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else remember when these were a HUGE FOTM around here years ago?

they sound more like a flavor of a lifetime to me
photoshop69.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #33 of 111
I edited my thread, my mistake. I do not see how mentioning Ultrasone we derail a thread that asks whether CD3000 is still the best under $1,000 closed headphone.
AmanGeorge you may not like any of the Ultrasones you have heard, but plenty of people do, me included. Pro900 is a great closed headphone, one which can compete against both the Denoms and ATH, and is very close to Editon 8 in terms of pure sound, (at a third of the price) so I don't see why it should be excluded just because you don't like them. OP don't discount a Pro900 as amongst one of the best under $1000 (in fact well under $500) closed headphones. Great bang for your buck.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #34 of 111
yep, definitely try some Ultrasone...if you have small ears and your brain enjoys it, a Pro900 or 2500 might indeed be a great buy....they'll both be lighter than the cd3k(it IS heavy, too heavy for me anyway).

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #35 of 111
Sorry, I was trying to avoid turning the CD3K thread into an Ultrasone thread. Maybe to do that I should have avoided taking my dig at Ultrasones...

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #36 of 111
hehe, it's not because we don't like them that it's forbidden to mention them...is it?
biggrin.gif

some ppl HATE the cd3k, and I couldn't picture myself w/ a grado on my head..

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #37 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^x2, I totally agree. My favorite closed cans I've heard aside from the R10, I sold the D5000 once I got my hands on the CD3000.

I had the opposite reaction, that is, I sold the CD3000 and kept the (Markl modded) D5000.

Details: I enjoyed the pleasing frequency response of the 3000 but always sensed something weird was going on with its spatial characteristics. It was as though the imaging had an artifacts of electronic enhancement. Anyhow, that sense of spatial artificiality never went away so the CD3000 did. In contrast, I have found the D5000 to do a great job with auditory imaging (for a headphone). It was modded early in MarkL's production when he used more stuffing in the earpads. As I recall, this results in less bass but better repro of auditory space. It remains one of my three favorite headphones.

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #38 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can find a good pair go for it,they are that good that i have a spare pair just in case my Headphile ones have an accident.

Do not know if he still mods them,would be worth asking if you pick up a pair.

I got Headphiled cd3k about 6 mos. ago from Larry's site (Larry's first "gamer" headphone, complete with star-trek type boom mic)

Ira

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #39 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got Headphiled cd3k about 6 mos. ago from Larry's site (Larry's first "gamer" headphone, complete with star-trek type boom mic)

Ira

PIX!

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #40 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PIX!

hd10.jpg

hd10a.jpg

hd10b.jpg

For those that are about to say "hey, those are Beyers, you *%&^#", here's the description from Larry's site:

Sony CD3000 drivers, (as they are detail oriented) mounted on Bolivian Rosewood soundboards (internal). The shell is Beyer, with Bloodwood, Purple Heart and Gaboon Ebony woodies (V3 style). The included gooseneck microphone will set up to reach your mouth easily, and detaches at will via a high quality jack on the left side. Take it off when traveling or because you can as it wasn't cheap (or mic does swivel 360 in the jack). The mic cable runs parallel inside the headphone cable sleeving down to the CJC, where it breaks out an extra 28" beyond the headphone plug. I've used a low profile Neutrik mini plug and the extra length to make plugging into back of computer practical, while still using a decent amp up front. The headphone uses 2.0 meter BlackSilver (also detail oriented) and terminated to Neutrik 1/4". Black leather headband, black leather pads and COA

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #43 of 111
Quote:

Ira

We need a review please,and if anyone has the vixen with CD3000 drivers please come in,would love to know what they sound like.
Ages ago I had a pair of Darth's with 250 ohm drivers and they were very comfortable phones.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #44 of 111
Quote:

Ira

Just to clear up any confusion below is what headphiled CD3000's look like.

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #45 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clear up any confusion below is what headphiled CD3000's look like.

Yeah, those look a lot more like cd3k's than mine. Wanna trade?

Mine (the "gamer" set) sound great, but the overally signature is definitely different from what I'm reading about "real" cd3k's. I'm a basshead, there's no denying it. My phones aren't lacking bass, but they don't hold a candle to my favorites like the JVC HP-DX1000 or Ultrasone Ed 9 (please, not looking to start another "Ultrasone weirdos" exchange, I just like 'em, that's all
biggrin.gif
) They are bright, but not the least bit sibilant; mids are there, but like the bass, could use some fleshing out. Mucho PRAT- that's a given- probably the quickest phones I've ever heard.

What might have been lost in translation is the giant soundstage I hear you all talking about with "real" cd3k's. There's plenty of depth, but I'm not blown away like many of you seem to be. Maybe I should listen to real cd3k's to figure out whether what I've got is a decent approximation.

With all that said, I do like these a lot and rotate them in/out every couple of weeks. If anyone's interested in talking trades for something really cool and interesting (whatever that might be - amp, phones, modded Waddia i70, decent mountain bike, ???), drop me a PM - I wouldn't miss these all that much.

Ira

Users who are viewing this thread

Back