yet you wanna sell yours, ironic eh?
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #17 of 111
If I wanted to sell them it would be a FS, not an IC

If I do sell, it will be a tortured financial decision

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #18 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoJaveMan250 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been planning on buying a set of closed cans for a while. I was wondering if I found a good deal on a pair of CD3000's would they still be better than say a Denon D2000/5000/7000 or Audio Techinicas etc.. Amp and source issues aside are they still the best closed cans for under $1,000? Thanks

If you can find a good pair go for it,they are that good that i have a spare pair just in case my Headphile ones have an accident.

Do not know if he still mods them,would be worth asking if you pick up a pair.

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #19 of 111
Goodluck finding a pair, I've had an eBay watch on CD3000's for more than a year. I think I've seen only two pairs, one of which was a NIB and way, way out of my price range.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #21 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I do sell, it will be a tortured financial decision

well, does the HD800 kill it? you're the second person who's getting it and wanna get rid of the cd3k..

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #22 of 111
Well, the CD3K is one of my two favorite headphones that I own, alongside the K701. The HD800 is more of an analog to the K701 (and does kill it), so I'm definitely going to sell the K701 when it comes in, but we'll see about the CD3K. If I had my druthers, I'd keep the 800 and the CD3K, but it may just be too hard for me to justify that financially, and I think I'd prefer to have the 800 than hang on to the Sonys. We'll see how I feel next week.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #23 of 111
yeah, the head-fi member I sold my cd3k to said that the SS was very similar to the K701...maybe I'll try it someday, but it seems to have very poor isolation...so maybe not, after all.

I take great care of my cd1k, but I'd love to have a backup plan if anything ever happens...OTOH the drivers have been used on a daily basis since 1995, so if they were bound to die it'd have happened already?
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #24 of 111
Isolation is not a strong suit of the K701, although it's also not great on the CD3K compared to some other closed cans.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #25 of 111
hehe, the modded cd1k is even worse than the cd3k isolation-wise(the cups are lighter and I leave them pretty much empty to increase the SS)...maybe I'll give a go at the K701 someday if the SS is cd3k-like, sounds good to me
k701smile.gif

whatever DT770 flavor is soooo much more isolating, but PRAT is low(even the Manufaktur 600Ω, and its SS is lousy)...you can't quite get a killer SS w/ great isolation it would appear
devil_face.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #26 of 111
I bought mine for around $360 in 2003, sold it for about the same price last year. While I like my CD3000 quite a bit, it's not without a couple of faults (to me at least). First of all, it's heavy; some headphones disappear on your head, the CD3K don't (you can feel its presence when you move your head). Secondly, while I do like it's sound, it's just a tad veil to my liking (again, this is just my opinion). But like some people have mentioned, it does have a very lively bass, and I do miss that very much.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #27 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe, the modded cd1k is even worse than the cd3k isolation-wise(the cups are lighter and I leave them pretty much empty to increase the SS)...maybe I'll give a go at the K701 someday if the SS is cd3k-like, sounds good to me
k701smile.gif

whatever DT770 flavor is soooo much more isolating, but PRAT is low(even the Manufaktur 600Ω, and its SS is lousy)...you can't quite get a killer SS w/ great isolation it would appear
devil_face.gif

I think the tradeoff between SS and isolation definitely exists - I've never heard a headphone that can do both (note: this is not intended as an opening for you weird Ultrasone people who apparently have evolved different auditory functions from the rest of us).

The SS on the K701 is noticeable bigger than the CD3K and significantly more laid back. If you're a soundstage freak, you've gotta give them (and, for that matter, the HD800...) a listen.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #28 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the tradeoff between SS and isolation definitely exists - I've never heard a headphone that can do both (note: this is not intended as an opening for you weird Ultrasone people who apparently have evolved different auditory functions from the rest of us).

Edition 8, pure brilliance and less than half the going rate of a CD3000, that makes me wierd?

EDIT: Sorry about that-had L3000 in my head, benchmark vintage closed can. Although I still don't know why owing an Ultrasone puts you in the wierd category.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #29 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edition 8, pure brilliance and less than half the going rate of a CD3000, that makes me wierd?

Ed. 8 is less than half the going rate of an R10; it's 3x the going rate of a CD3K.

For the sake of not derailing the thread too far, though, I'll just say I'm not an Ultrasone fan and vastly prefer my CD3K to any Ultrasone I've heard.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #30 of 111
Does anyone else remember when these were a HUGE FOTM around here years ago? I can't believe they're rare now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back