Sony CD3000 Thread
Sep 1, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #361 of 451
Finally got the HD800S yesterday.

I did a short 1h listening and I'm quite surprised (amazed even) of how similar to the CD3000 the HD800S sound, to my ears at least. In a way, perhaps this shouldn't a surprise since I bought them based on reviews and descriptions showing it matched my sound preferences, and the CD3000 also do.

I have mixed feelings about the HD800S now. They are good, very good, but I expected a considerable improvement from the CD3000 at all levels, and didn't get that (might change opinion with more listenings tho).

This only made me think of how AWESOME these CD3K are, considering it is a model released in 1991, that's over 20 years before the HD800S! Outstanding japanese bean bags.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #363 of 451
  What source and amp are you using?

Both the SMSL stack (M8 DAC + VA2 amp + P1 linear power supply) and a Meier Audio Corda Move (DAC+amp)

The HD800S were a lot easier to drive than I expected. I think the reports of it needing monstrous amps are greatly exaggerated. It's definitely not something you can just plug to a phone, tho.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #364 of 451

The HD800S were a lot easier to drive than I expected. I think the reports of it needing monstrous amps are greatly exaggerated. It's definitely not something you can just plug to a phone, tho.

Don't know about monstrous but the better the amp, the better it sounds.  Just like the CD3000, it can get pretty loud out of a ipod but it needs a good amp to really shine.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #365 of 451
Yeah, IMO the HD800/S isn't so much about volume but somehow it just sounds better and better the more equipment you throw at it. It's the only one of my headphones I've ever owned where I felt like it was so revealing that it made discerning between amps and sources rather simple. Make no mistake, the CD3k is a very fine headphone, but I don't find it to be nearly on the level of the HD800 when put in a well-matched system.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #366 of 451
  Yeah, IMO the HD800/S isn't so much about volume but somehow it just sounds better and better the more equipment you throw at it. It's the only one of my headphones I've ever owned where I felt like it was so revealing that it made discerning between amps and sources rather simple. Make no mistake, the CD3k is a very fine headphone, but I don't find it to be nearly on the level of the HD800 when put in a well-matched system.

I'm definitely going to compare them some more and try different amplification, but the initial impression was a bit of a surprise.

There are a few areas where I could tell the difference immediately however. The 800S have a wider soundstage and separation/positioning. They manage to be even more holographic than the CD3K, which are already quite good (especially being closed). Both sound bright and very detailed.

The 800S felt a bit more refined somehow, but in the short listening session I found the CD3K to be equally enjoyable overall, sometimes more, when a more intimate sound is better.

It wasn't a fair comparison tho, since the room wasn't totally quiet (had a couple of desktops running and making the typical fan hum) and I think that drowned some detail on the 800. Isolation is almost zero, as expected.

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #367 of 451
Well, after close to a decade of daily use (and who knows how much use by the previous owner(s), my CD3000's have started shorting out in the left channel. I *think* it's just in the cable, as if I twist the cable where it enters the ear cup the sound comes and goes. Anyone have any suggestions of someone who could re-cable this for me? I have moderate soldering skills, and have access to friends who are expert, but I'm not sure I want to try to do this myself. Thoughts appreciated.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #368 of 451
Well, I plugged in my backup SE215's I had with me at work and couldn't stand listening to them so I opened up the CD3k's to see what we were looking at. Looked pretty straightforward to me, so I walked them over to my electronic technician's desk and he agreed. We snipped the wire back by several inches, inspected the problem area under the microscope where we could clearly identify multiple areas where the wire was cracking, snipped that area off, and soldered in the good wire, and in ~30 minutes I'm back in business! Hopefully for another 20 years because I will sure miss these when they go for good!

BTW he was seriously impressed by the quality of the wire.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #369 of 451
  Well, I plugged in my backup SE215's I had with me at work and couldn't stand listening to them so I opened up the CD3k's to see what we were looking at. Looked pretty straightforward to me, so I walked them over to my electronic technician's desk and he agreed. We snipped the wire back by several inches, inspected the problem area under the microscope where we could clearly identify multiple areas where the wire was cracking, snipped that area off, and soldered in the good wire, and in ~30 minutes I'm back in business! Hopefully for another 20 years because I will sure miss these when they go for good!

Sorry, I can't agree with that statement.  A thin LC-OFC is hardly a good wire any more and it is restricting the sound of your CD3000.  You can do a whole lot better.  Ask your tech to recable your headphones with Moon-Audio Black Dragon (dual entries) and that alone will give you 25% jump in quality.  It will no longer be a bass-light and bright-ish headphones.  Take the advice from someone who has owned one of this baby since 1999.  You will thanks me later.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #370 of 451

Awesome. That was a quick fix.
Have you replaced the pads and headband?

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #371 of 451
  Sorry, I can't agree with that statement.  A thin LC-OFC is hardly a good wire any more and it is restricting the sound of your CD3000.  You can do a whole lot better.  Ask your tech to recable your headphones with Moon-Audio Black Dragon (dual entries) and that alone will give you 25% jump in quality.  It will no longer be a bass-light and bright-ish headphones.  Take the advice from someone who has owned one of this baby since 1999.  You will thanks me later.

He was speaking more in terms of the durability of the wire rather than the sound, of course. Both the outer sheathing and the inner wires were surprisingly difficult to cut. As for me, not interested in a wire upgrade. I have been down that path before with other headphones and always found the sound changes hazy at best, and the physical changes to the wire's characteristics have generally driven me crazy. I love the sound of the CD3k as is (it's my longest standing headphone in my collection still in regular use, by far) and think that for how I use it the stock cable cannot be beat.

Awesome. That was a quick fix.
Have you replaced the pads and headband?

Yes, I have replaced the pads a couple of times and replaced the headband with NOS about a decade ago. Still holding up nicely despite extensive daily use.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #372 of 451

He was speaking more in terms of the durability of the wire rather than the sound, of course. Both the outer sheathing and the inner wires were surprisingly difficult to cut. As for me, not interested in a wire upgrade. I have been down that path before with other headphones and always found the sound changes hazy at best, and the physical changes to the wire's characteristics have generally driven me crazy. I love the sound of the CD3k as is (it's my longest standing headphone in my collection still in regular use, by far) and think that for how I use it the stock cable cannot be beat.

Yes, I have replaced the pads a couple of times and replaced the headband with NOS about a decade ago. Still holding up nicely despite extensive daily use.

I understand your point but that headphones DOES get a lot better because those wire are extremely thin despite being very durable.  Sony just use crappy wire on  all their headphones including the Z7.  Something like Moon Black Dragon are just durable and much better purity.  You should have tried these balanced.  They work wonder next to a high price Stax setup.  He probably didn't use the right tool if he had trouble cutting the wire.  I recabled my CD3000 hence the recommendations.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #373 of 451
  I understand your point but that headphones DOES get a lot better because those wire are extremely thin despite being very durable.  Sony just use crappy wire on  all their headphones including the Z7.  Something like Moon Black Dragon are just durable and much better purity.  You should have tried these balanced.  They work wonder next to a high price Stax setup.  He probably didn't use the right tool if he had trouble cutting the wire.  I recabled my CD3000 hence the recommendations.

​We had no trouble cutting the wire, it was just tougher than to be expected given its diminutive size. Sony may not have made a wire choice that you agree with, but the fact that it has lasted nearly 20 years speaks to the fact that it is anything but low quality. Again, the most important thing for me in any of my audio gear decisions is how well they stand the test of time. The CD3000 has stood out even as lots of other gear has come and gone. I have the same desire to change the wire on these as I do to get caught up in the flavor of the month here - none.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #374 of 451

​We had no trouble cutting the wire, it was just tougher than to be expected given its diminutive size. Sony may not have made a wire choice that you agree with, but the fact that it has lasted nearly 20 years speaks to the fact that it is anything but low quality. Again, the most important thing for me in any of my audio gear decisions is how well they stand the test of time. The CD3000 has stood out even as lots of other gear has come and gone. I have the same desire to change the wire on these as I do to get caught up in the flavor of the month here - none.
smily_headphones1.gif

It isn't a favor of the month but something that is totally worth the effort to any CD3000 out there.  The stock wire is extremely thin and poor in term of conductivity.  This alone is a main limiting factor of this already very good headphones.  If you think you enjoy your CD3000 now, wait until you upgraded the cable and run them balanced.  I have a Sony MDR-R10 and the CD3000 come remarkably close to it once the work is done and you are willing to give them a balance amplification  No, it is an equal to the R10 but it is in someway more enjoyable due to better bass response.  You still have that magical midrange but the soundstage depth & width, and musical details are even better.  You don't have to take my advice, but this is no gimmick because I really don't have anything to gain from this but you do.  Everyone who had auditioned my CD3000 always left extremely impressed and often ask me to sell it to them.  Of course, I always politely declined.  Happy listening either way.

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #375 of 451
Has any CD3000 owner ever come upon an aftermarket headband cover that would either zip on or Velcro onto the top of the headband?  Something like the Beyer headband pad except without the button attachment system.  I have no problem templating and sewing the bridge section but it would be great to find something premade and leather that fits fairly well over the curved headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back