Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
May 31, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #1,156 of 1,216

My friend you have discovered something. I have both the iPad Air (A1475) and iPhone 6S+. I've always been able to use this setup exactly the same in both however I just plugged my Microstreamer in through the camera connection adapter and it isn't working with my iPad. It still works with the phone.

I went through my settings, tried different players-Tidal, iTunes-but none output through the Lightening connection. This is definitely an iOS issue since it continues to work well in my phone. It may be a recent bug in iOS 9.3.1 but its new to me.

Can anyone else shed light on this issue?

@Kevin_Halverson

can you help with this???

May 31, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #1,157 of 1,216
Great Products Can Be Timeless!!

Rockin' my new Teak E-Mus w/ my MS - Jitterbug, & Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB...

and I prefer the MS,
in this combo/the musical synergy, to my Groove, Dragonfly, and DACport!!!!

May 31, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,158 of 1,216
  Great Products Can Be Timeless!!

Rockin' my new Teak E-Mus w/ my MS - Jitterbug, & Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB...

and I prefer the MS,
in this combo/the musical synergy, to my Groove, Dragonfly, and DACport!!!!

Do you find their is a noticeable difference with Jitterbug in front of HRT MS ?

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,159 of 1,216
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Back in the microStreamer tribe again. Just got mine today. Lovin' it.
Simplicity.

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #1,160 of 1,216
Yes, the Microstreamer is good stuff - one of the few D-S dacs I actually enjoy listening to. I don't miss my home rig nearly as much when I travel with it.

Hopefully Kevin Halverson's name is up on a couple of important plaques somewhere!

Thanks Kevin!

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,161 of 1,216
Yes, the Microstreamer is good stuff - one of the few D-S dacs I actually enjoy listening to. I don't miss my home rig nearly as much when I travel with it.

Hopefully Kevin Halverson's name is up on a couple of important plaques somewhere!

Thanks Kevin!

Yes for all the hate on D-S chips, it sounds pretty natural and free of digititis to me !

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,162 of 1,216

Do you find their is a noticeable difference with Jitterbug in front of HRT MS ?

I actually noticed a blacker background on a bunch of recordings!
Sometimes, admittedly, I didn't hear a difference - but when I did - it lowered the noise-floor significantly - or, maybe more accurate - pacing and timing seemed tighter and overall more focused. 

LOVE MY microStreamer 

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #1,163 of 1,216

StarTech 3 feet USB Y Cable for External Hard Drive

This should work for mobile use bypassing the power draw on notebook USB to a portable battery on the red line. Termination is already mini-USB so no messy adapters needed at the end.
Couple of ferrite cores snapped over should help as well. Currently trying to find if it would be 5 or 7 or 9mm cores that would work for this cable.
About $15 shipped. Not bad.

Edit : to make the black USB plug data-out only, you need to cover or remove the 4th pin on right as you look in the plug (credit to zilch0md for this)
then the red plug is the only one giving power from an external source. (This is a hack on a printer cable)

Snap-on ferrite cores recommended to snap on the split data/power cable.

Jun 10, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #1,164 of 1,216

StarTech 3 feet USB Y Cable for External Hard Drive

This should work for mobile use bypassing the power draw on notebook USB to a portable battery on the red line. Termination is already mini-USB so no messy adapters needed at the end.
Couple of ferrite cores snapped over should help as well. Currently trying to find if it would be 5 or 7 or 9mm cores that would work for this cable.
About $15 shipped. Not bad.

NICE ONE!!

I was going to write Kevin Halverson - I'd love to see a Kevin Halverson / Alex Cavalli hybrid!!!!
Dreamin'...

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #1,166 of 1,216
Have you tried any HRT DACs higher up the line @mikemercer ?

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #1,168 of 1,216
  The mS is an Advanced Segment DAC (PCM1793). Does that mean it's still D-S (Delta Sigma)? I still use it for my stereo setup at home and love it 
biggrin.gif

Oh, right, never knew that. As it sounds so 'un-Delta-Sigma'...no brittle digititus.

From their literature on the chip

"
DESCRIPTION
The DSD1793 is a monolithic CMOS integrated circuit that
includes stereo digital-to-analog converters and support
circuitry in a small 28-lead SSOP package. The data
converters use TI’s advanced-segment DAC architecture
to achieve excellent dynamic performance and improved
tolerance to clock jitter. The DSD1793 provides balanced
voltage outputs, allowing the user to optimize analog
performance externally. The DSD1793 accepts the PCM
and DSD audio data formats, providing easy interfacing to
audio
DSP and decoder chips. The DSD1793 also accepts
interfaces to external digital filter devices (DF1704,
DF1706, PMD200). Sampling rates up to 200 kHz are
supported. A full set of user-programmable functions is
accessible through an I
C-compatible serial control port."

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #1,170 of 1,216
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Y-split data/power combo after more testing.....jet black on quiet music passages.

No doubt microStreamer has a mute relay with no music playing...

Startech Cable was about $15 as I mentioned previously, and 5mm ferrite cores $5 shipped (1 clipped over red power plug, 1 over the mini-USB end).
Reminder that the 4th pin on the black USB plug needs to be removed so you are only extracting data on the black USB plug.

I read the cable can handle in excess of the 10 watts (5v/2A) it is rated for, so way,way in excess of the draw this tiny DACs needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back