Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
Apr 27, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #3,826 of 4,538
Too bad it could take years until I assemble a setup able to reproduceit correctly
tongue.gif

You and me both.  The only location I've heard it without trickery was at a friend's house.  My dedicated room is only 12' deep, so if I want to hear the note at my house, I point one of the subwoofers down the hall way, leave the room, and queue up the song.  Cursed wavelength and physics!  Time for a bigger house.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #3,827 of 4,538
Hmmmm for a really immersive experience I find the binaural song "One man rumba"  by Jon Bailey impressive to listen to. 

Now when it comes to actual music songs "The Golden Age" by Woodkid sounds great especially if on analytical headphones that let you pick details in the voice (I use the AKG k7xx and the Schiit Vali amp). 

As for an orchestral song I have something that I use to test headphones it's an OST that I only managed to find on soundcloud called "昼裸lilL♪" (excuse any sign of geekiness)  https://soundcloud.com/cheezitzrice/lill 

Finally I can recommend "Ovary Stripe" by Kasabian which has some pretty aggressive audio panning during the intro  
and "El Dorado" by Two steps from hell , it combines a lot of highs and lows (especially in the intro) so it is fun to listen to. 

TL;DR :  
I recommended the following songs: 

One man rumba  - Jon Bailey 
The Golden Age  - Woodkid
昼裸lilL♪             - Hiroyuki Sawano (found on soundcloud) 
Ovary Stripe       - Kasabian
El Dorado           - Two Steps From Hell

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #3,829 of 4,538
Too bad it could take years until I assemble a setup able to reproduceit correctly :p

You and me both.  The only location I've heard it without trickery was at a friend's house.  My dedicated room is only 12' deep, so if I want to hear the note at my house, I point one of the subwoofers down the hall way, leave the room, and queue up the song.  Cursed wavelength and physics!  Time for a bigger house.

Could you explain that trickery?

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #3,830 of 4,538
I kind of summed it up already, the pointing of a subwoofer down a long hallway to give the sound wave longer to travel, so the deepest notes can be heard.  I don't have equipment to measure exactly how deep the note and its undertone/overtone series is, but I do know how deep my subs can respond, and that's 16Hz (the guy with the 16ft room's servo subs respond all the way down to 5Hz, where his pre-pro stops responding first).  16Hz requires 21.46 Meters (Calculation from http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-waves.htm) to complete a wavelength.  Therefore, to hear the tone without hearing what's left of it after decay and the likelihood of it running into itself on rebound (standing wave), I need to be standing or sitting at least that distance away from the source of the sound.  That means I have to be standing or sitting 70 feet away for an unaltered 16Hz full wave to reach my ears.

So why is it I can hear it in the 16 foot room?  Two reasons:  his subs point only forward, mine have passive drivers on the side that are pressure-coupled to the primary driver.  When I purchased them, that sounded like a really great idea - fill the room with bass.  What I didn't realize is that I was also more than tripling the possibility for standing waves, which eats bass.  Thus, more sound waves are completing in his room, even if they have to bounce a couple times to do it.  Think dumping one rock in a puddle of water versus six.  Which one gives you perfect ripples?  The second reason is because his subs are larger.  They move more air.  They also respond equally well at 5Hz and 100Hz, because the servo has to complete the same amount of travel no matter how fast it's moving.  Magnetic moving coil moves as far as it can given the amount of power, and as such, at lower power, moves less.  Therefore, my subs do not respond with the same amount of volume or strength at 16Hz as they do at 20, 40, or 80.  Finally, the ability for the servos to do that makes the walls shake in the room, making the note more noticeable.

None of this has anything to do with headphones, however.  At least, not until someone comes up with a servo-driven headphone woofer.

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #3,831 of 4,538
I kind of summed it up already, the pointing of a subwoofer down a long hallway to give the sound wave longer to travel, so the deepest notes can be heard.  I don't have equipment to measure exactly how deep the note and its undertone/overtone series is, but I do know how deep my subs can respond, and that's 16Hz (the guy with the 16ft room's servo subs respond all the way down to 5Hz, where his pre-pro stops responding first).  16Hz requires 21.46 Meters (Calculation from http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-waves.htm) to complete a wavelength.  Therefore, to hear the tone without hearing what's left of it after decay and the likelihood of it running into itself on rebound (standing wave), I need to be standing or sitting at least that distance away from the source of the sound.  That means I have to be standing or sitting 70 feet away for an unaltered 16Hz full wave to reach my ears.

So why is it I can hear it in the 16 foot room?  Two reasons:  his subs point only forward, mine have passive drivers on the side that are pressure-coupled to the primary driver.  When I purchased them, that sounded like a really great idea - fill the room with bass.  What I didn't realize is that I was also more than tripling the possibility for standing waves, which eats bass.  Thus, more sound waves are completing in his room, even if they have to bounce a couple times to do it.  Think dumping one rock in a puddle of water versus six.  Which one gives you perfect ripples?  The second reason is because his subs are larger.  They move more air.  They also respond equally well at 5Hz and 100Hz, because the servo has to complete the same amount of travel no matter how fast it's moving.  Magnetic moving coil moves as far as it can given the amount of power, and as such, at lower power, moves less.  Therefore, my subs do not respond with the same amount of volume or strength at 16Hz as they do at 20, 40, or 80.  Finally, the ability for the servos to do that makes the walls shake in the room, making the note more noticeable.

None of this has anything to do with headphones, however.  At least, not until someone comes up with a servo-driven headphone woofer.

Well, that's a great explanation :p thanks a lot Aurthur!

May 1, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #3,832 of 4,538
You're All I've Got Tonight
by The Cars
@ 24/44 from Ponomusic

Slide
by Slave
@ 24/192 from Ponomusic

Breaking The Girl
by Red Hot Chili Peppers
@ 24/96 from ProStudioMasters

Almost anything by P-Funk, although they don't have anything above 16/44 released yet, that I know of.

May 21, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #3,840 of 4,538

@Aurthur, but can you then explain how we are able to hear frequencies from a headphone of <13.5kHz? 13.5kHz equals about 1 inch, so anything below that frequency, and thus with a greater wavelength, you would not be able to hear? Or would it be distorted? How does it work?

Not criticising btw, just genuinely curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back