Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
Apr 12, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #3,812 of 4,538
Not a huge fan of electronica put this is so good it's making me giggle, especially from 6 minutes + 
L3000.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3,814 of 4,538

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #3,817 of 4,538
 GarryH: "Jheena Lodwick - Emerald City ~ this get's me into a trance like stare, so says the better half"

This was quite the gem.  Just before 3:00, it sent chills down my back as the stand-up bass seems to come from nowhere, yet sounds as if it's right next to you.  Thank you for this suggestion, GarryH. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #3,818 of 4,538
When I'm testing a new setup, some of my favorites include:

Clarity checks:
Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (I have yet to find a setup this album doesn't sound good on, so it's good for focusing on where the weaknesses in the setup are, rather than whether or not that album or song sounds good)
Ottmar Liebert - Fireopal (Accoustic)
Zero 7 - Passing By (Usually good for showing off reproduction levels across the board)

Bass checks:
Muse - Panic Station, Follow Me (Neither sound good if the system can't reproduce bass well)
Muse - Muscle Museum (If your LFE channel or bass below crossover is too hot, this song will make it stick out like a sore thumb; not as useful for headphones, but still demonstrates if they're bass-loaded)
Nine Inch Nails - The Hand that Feeds
Tool - Swamp Song
Korn - Freak on a Leash
Pink Floyd - Time (Few systems produce the deepest bass note just after the 2 minute mark.  You'll know yours doesn't if the music appears to go up instead of down.)

Sound Stage:
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody, Don't Stop Me Now (A little cliche, I know, but they do some fun stuff with positioning and stage)
Pink Floyd - The Wall (Anything)
The Who - Who's Next/The Best of The Who albums

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #3,822 of 4,538
When I'm testing a new setup, some of my favorites include:

Clarity checks:
Norah Jones - Come Away with Me (I have yet to find a setup this album doesn't sound good on, so it's good for focusing on where the weaknesses in the setup are, rather than whether or not that album or song sounds good)
Ottmar Liebert - Fireopal (Accoustic)
Zero 7 - Passing By (Usually good for showing off reproduction levels across the board)

Bass checks:
Muse - Panic Station, Follow Me (Neither sound good if the system can't reproduce bass well)
Muse - Muscle Museum (If your LFE channel or bass below crossover is too hot, this song will make it stick out like a sore thumb; not as useful for headphones, but still demonstrates if they're bass-loaded)
Nine Inch Nails - The Hand that Feeds
Tool - Swamp Song
Korn - Freak on a Leash
Pink Floyd - Time (Few systems produce the deepest bass note just after the 2 minute mark.  You'll know yours doesn't if the music appears to go up instead of down.)

Sound Stage:
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody, Don't Stop Me Now (A little cliche, I know, but they do some fun stuff with positioning and stage)
Pink Floyd - The Wall (Anything)
The Who - Who's Next/The Best of The Who albums

Could you please explain the Time bass note? You are saying that most setups reproduce that frequency incorrectly, could you give me the exact time-stamp, please?

Thanks,

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #3,823 of 4,538
Could you please explain the Time bass note? You are saying that most setups reproduce that frequency incorrectly, could you give me the exact time-stamp, please?

Thanks,

Certainly.  On my SACD, it's at exactly 1:50.  The bass and lead guitars play the same note, two octaves apart.  The lead guitar appears to go up, but the bass actually goes down.  The only system I have ever heard the bass part properly reproduced was a 16' deep room with servo subwoofers.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #3,825 of 4,538

Thanks,

Certainly.  On my SACD, it's at exactly 1:50.  The bass and lead guitars play the same note, two octaves apart.  The lead guitar appears to go up, but the bass actually goes down.  The only system I have ever heard the bass part properly reproduced was a 16' deep room with servo subwoofers.

Too bad it could take years until I assemble a setup able to reproduceit correctly :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back