Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
Aug 27, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #1,128 of 4,539
Perhaps the most hauntingly beautiful experimental guitar record I've ever heard.

Neil Young improvised and jammed out the recording with the film playing on a projector and it shows.

Neil Young - Dead Man Soundtrack

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #1,129 of 4,539
Many good recommendations here, if one has the tenacity to wade through all of the thread.

Here's my two cents worth. Beware, these are not "in your face music", but contain subtleties and may not wow at a first listen:

1. Cantus : Let Your Voice be Heard (album) - excellent vocal crecording & mastering by John Atkinson
  2. Rajaton : Boundless - brilliant textures for a pure acapella recording
  3. Kodo : Tataku - good for acoustic drum sounds, test your headphone PRaT
  4. Silence 2 (Fax records) - listen to this in dark, alone during the fall. Fairly minimal, but not harsh or cringy sounding digital ambience. Analog warmth and emotion
  5. Philip Glass : Glassworks - a beautiful album for complex horn passages, psychoacoustic streaming and tonal correctness. When it flows, it floes!
  6. Kate Bush : Sunset (from Aerial) - for intimacy and Kate Bush's voice. A very nice arrangement and recording as well
  7. Biosphere : Microgravity - for that enveloping, dark synth sound and ambience

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #1,130 of 4,539
My soundtrack contributions continue with Radiohead's, Jonny Greenwood offering up this masterpiece of atmosphere.

Took a long time to find it on CD too. Stand out track is 'Proven Lands'.

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #1,131 of 4,539

Quote:
Many good recommendations here, if one has the tenacity to wade through all of the thread.

Here's my two cents worth. Beware, these are not "in your face music", but contain subtleties and may not wow at a first listen:

1. Philip Glass : Glassworks - a beautiful album for complex horn passages, psychoacoustic streaming and tonal correctness. When it flows, it floes!

Absolutely love his soundtrack to the silent film - Koyaanasqatsi

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #1,132 of 4,539
Any Solar Fields will do. He actually uses HD650s and DT770s to produce his music. 
biggrin.gif
 Oh and don't forger a pair of Dynaudio BM15As! 
eek.gif

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #1,134 of 4,539
Almost anything by Rubblebucket, but this song in particular. It'll give your headphones a work out.
Bob Marley "Is This Love?" has some great production value, as does much of his work.
The Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" is another fun song.

As for the Kanye album, the production is actually pretty crap, but the movie audio is FANTASTIC. Rip the audio from the DVD and you'll see what I mean.

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #1,135 of 4,539
Today's contribution :-

Norman Greenbaum 'Spirit In the Sky'

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #1,137 of 4,539

Quote:
Proof that people don't care about audio quality unless it's a music video or movie. 

Not true. The new Kanye/Jay-Z album has fantastic production value. No one actually knows why the Kanye album from 2010 sounded like crap though as he worked his ass off on it. If the movie sounded like the album it would have probably been the best mastered hip-hop album of all time.

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #1,139 of 4,539
Watch the Throne is an exception. For MBDTF sounding like crap, well, that's because they used Vlado Meller(who did a decent job on previous albums). It would've sounded better if Mike Dean mastered that album as well... the songs in the movie sounds like the mixed version (AKA G.O.O.D Friday) and still sounds pretty clipped...

Quote:
Not true. The new Kanye/Jay-Z album has fantastic production value. No one actually knows why the Kanye album from 2010 sounded like crap though as he worked his ass off on it. If the movie sounded like the album it would have probably been the best mastered hip-hop album of all time.

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #1,140 of 4,539
Jackson 5 - [The Essential Michael Jackson CD1 #01] I Want You Back

The bass guitar is just awesome as well as the imaging:
D2000's + m903

Users who are viewing this thread

Back