Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
Mar 28, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #166 of 4,539
No Doubt - Hella Good. After hearing this song coming out of my ultraportable rig (Shuffle + E500) I understood why I bought E500s
etysmile.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #168 of 4,539
Hmmm.... let's see:

1. Nightwish - Once (Whole thing!)
2. Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands II
3. Dream Theater - Just about any album
4. Xandria (specifically "like a rose on a grave of love", dang, gotta love the details here and there)
5. The soundtracks from Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, damn good orchestral stuff.

Those are my favs in no particular order!

Mar 28, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #169 of 4,539
Axiom Funk - If 6 was 9
Buckethead- Colma

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #171 of 4,539
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lesser known indie band that sounds great on good headphones is Califone. All of their albums are available on emusic, and all of their stuff gets great reviews by publications like Pitchfork. I can't recommend them enough. Sort of like a cross between old-time folk and blues and modern rock and electronica.

Also, I recommended this on a different thread, but if you haven't heard Broken Social Scene's self-titled album (which came out a couple years ago), you will be blown away. I guess it would be categorized as alternative rock, but there's elements of electronic music, and even some strings and horns on a few songs. I don't know how many members there are in that band, but I believe it's more than 10, and the music is just incredibly rich and complex. There's also multiple vocalists, some male, some female, and even a rapper on one track. And almost every song is full of beautiful sonic details.

I agree with everything here. Califone are awesome and Broken Social Scene's "You Forgot It In People" is a real masterpiece - if anyone hasn't heard it get it right now.

Good to see some people here who like good indie music.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #174 of 4,539
Corrosion of Conformity "Albatross" --> Sony NWZ-A829 --> Sennheiser PX100

Defenitely a "wow" moment for me.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #175 of 4,539
Billy Joel - Leningrad on the sextetts, that was the first time I said WOW to my sextetts.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #176 of 4,539
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned any of these artists yet, but here's a few suggestions:

As a genre Post Rock tends to lend itself very well to headphone listening as many of the tracks are layered instrumentals with differing stages of epic crescendos and atmospheric sparsity.

If you're interested in violins etc. then post rock should suit too. Start with these:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Fsharp Asharp Infinity
Explosions In the Sky - The World is Not a Cold Dead Place
This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain EP
Mono - Walking Cloud And Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered And The Sun Shined

I hope you find something you like.

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #177 of 4,539
Quote:

Originally Posted by adswiftuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned any of these artists yet, but here's a few suggestions:

As a genre Post Rock tends to lend itself very well to headphone listening as many of the tracks are layered instrumentals with differing stages of epic crescendos and atmospheric sparsity.

If you're interested in violins etc. then post rock should suit too. Start with these:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Fsharp Asharp Infinity
Explosions In the Sky - The World is Not a Cold Dead Place
This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain EP
Mono - Walking Cloud And Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered And The Sun Shined

I hope you find something you like.

I'd definitely second this list, especially the Godspeed album. And also throw in anything by Mogwai (Mr Beast, Rock Action, Young Team)! Either of the Red Sparowes albums might be worth a look too, if the others appeal to you.

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #180 of 4,539
The Gathering - Sleepy Buildings - Travel, My Electricity

Recording isn't perfect, but a voice like that makes up for a lot of things.

Nightwish (Annette) - Dark Passion Play - The Islander, Meadows of Heaven

Nightwish (Tarja) - From Wishes to Eternity - Walking in the Air; End of an Era - Ever Dream, Siren, Sleeping Sun, Wishmaster, Slaying the Dreamer

Delerium - Poems I - Innocente

Conjure One - Conjure One (self-titled) - Center of the Sun, Tears from the Moon

Russian Circles - Station - Station, Harper Lewis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back